A Difficult Lesson in Simple Gun Safety

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

SlartyBartFast

A Difficult Lesson in Simple Gun Safety

Post by SlartyBartFast »

- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
william

Re: A Difficult Lesson in Simple Gun Safety

Post by william »

I learned a long time ago there is no such thing as an accidental discharge, only negligent discharges.

Or is this a case of the only thing to stop a bad dog with a gun would be a good dog with a gun?
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

william wrote:I learned a long time ago there is no such thing as an accidental discharge, only negligent discharges.
Negligent discharges and legitimate mechanical failures.

However, any harm from the latter are mitigated by non-negligent handling practices. Case in point, I've had an old Martini-action BSA go off in my hand - the striker went forward as soon as the block was raised into position due to a worn trigger sear. No, I did not accidentally catch the trigger with a finger - we were able to reproduce the fault. However, no harm came of the fault because the rifle was pointed in a safe direction at the target when I closed the action. Not pointed at my stomach...).
dronning

Post by dronning »

william wrote:I learned a long time ago there is no such thing as an accidental discharge, only negligent discharges.
I'd say >90% of "accidental" discharges are negligent. I had a 1911 go full auto when the sear broke on my 1st shot with a full mag, pretty intense pucker factor, good thing I had a good grip on it.
- Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
william

Post by william »

I don't want to put too fine a point on it, but....

"I've had an old Martini-action BSA go off in my hand - the striker went forward as soon as the block was raised into position due to a worn trigger sear." Is it not a basic gun-handling safety procedure to have an old gun inspected by a competent gunsmith before use?
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

. . . .
Last edited by atomicgale on Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
40xguy

Post by 40xguy »

Talking about simple gun safety: A friend and I were at the local indoor pistol range. He wanted to shoot my S&W 38 hammerless snub nose, so I put 5 rounds in it and gave it to him. this pistol has a long trigger pull which he wasn't use to and after trying twice to get the round to go off, he points the loaded pistol at his head while pulling the trigger to see if he can find out "what's wrong with this damn thing, it won't shoot." Thank God he didn't blow his damn head off. And, by the way, you would not believe what his shooting credentials were !! Really frightening.
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

william wrote:I don't want to put too fine a point on it, but....

"I've had an old Martini-action BSA go off in my hand - the striker went forward as soon as the block was raised into position due to a worn trigger sear." Is it not a basic gun-handling safety procedure to have an old gun inspected by a competent gunsmith before use?
BSA Martinis aren't so old that you should expect major parts failures during regulag use. It's more likely that the trigger was fettled by an amateur gunsmith in an attempt to lower the weight below the design limits. I've come across a few BSAs "improved" in this way, and the sear will mostly hold, but work the lever a little too fast, or find a cartridge that's a little longer/fatter/waxier and it will give way as you close the breech.

Mechanical faults can also develop slowly, such that there is no warning a gunsmith is needed until BOOM.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

atomicgale wrote:"Hemmer" is from the UK - what else would you expect from a Wanker? ABSOLUTELY NEGLIGENT. But the Limeys only make excuses for their ineptitude . . . .
Is this meant to be funny?
atomicgale

Post by atomicgale »

!!!
Last edited by atomicgale on Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
william

Post by william »

Tim S wrote:
atomicgale wrote:"Hemmer" is from the UK - what else would you expect from a Wanker? ABSOLUTELY NEGLIGENT. But the Limeys only make excuses for their ineptitude . . . .
Is this meant to be funny?
Tim, ignore him if you can. Tennessee is our version of Cornwall but without the history, beautiful coastline, scrumpy, excellent bitter by the pint, and the 'quaint' tradition of marrying people who don't already have your last name.
atomicgale

Post by atomicgale »

Last edited by atomicgale on Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atomicgale

Post by atomicgale »

Last edited by atomicgale on Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hurt

Post by hurt »

Accidents can be minimized but not always eliminated. I am thankful to have had good luck in a couple! I also prefer to remain nonjudgemental and friendly to all our friends.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

william wrote: Tim, ignore him if you can. Tennessee is our version of Cornwall but without the history, beautiful coastline, scrumpy, excellent bitter by the pint, and the 'quaint' tradition of marrying people who don't already have your last name.
I once had a heated discussion in a pub with a chap from Tennessee who was convinced his state had an Atlantic coastline. I'll guess it was a relative of Atomicgale.
atomicgale

Post by atomicgale »

Last edited by atomicgale on Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

atomicgale wrote:Actually, we're building a wall around Tennessee to keep the Liberals out.!
Hmm, doesn't your constitution have this 1st Amendment?

Seriously, you don't need a wall, the attitude is enough.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

atomicgale wrote:...
I'm surprised this forum doesn't enforce a no politics policy.

Have to say, that you're not doing Pilk guns any favors by associating them with your anger and bigorty.

To keep on-topic, unlike some, I'll tell this safety horror:

A previous supervisor was a military firearms trainer. He recounted a time when he was training recruits on pistol firing.
One recruit approached him, pointed a pistol at him and proceeded to pull the trigger multiple times while saying the pistol wasn't working.

The other officers on duty tackled the idiot and did serious damage to the idiots hand ripping the pistol out of his grip.

The idiot was ignoring his orders to point the pistol downrange as he approached and once it was pointed at him he said he just froze in disbelief.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607