Cold Weather Shooting

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

rtucker6508

Cold Weather Shooting

Post by rtucker6508 »

I just had an experience with my daughter in cold (20-30 degree) weather shooting for the SB portion of JO Qualifiers. She was FREEZING while shooting and couldn't feel her fingers at times, especially in prone on the very cold ground.

Any suggestions for keeping warm - gloves - etc...

Thank you !
RED RAIDER

Re: Cold Weather Shooting

Post by RED RAIDER »

We have been known to use hand warmers. The kind that are in the small pouches that are for 1 time use. Stick them in the offhand glove. And a second one in the pocket of the shooting jacket to warm the trigger hand between shots. It helps a bunch. Of course some may frown on it as far as equipment rules are concerned, we try to get approval from the match director before the 1st shot.
Silvershooter

Post by Silvershooter »

I use one of these :

http://www.jobri.com/product/hot-rox-el ... -bh9800bk/

This is the distributor in the US
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Fingerless gloves. So less of the trigger hand is exposed to the COLD air.

Or a light weight glove, to keep the COLD wind off the hand. Some of the soccer players at my high school use them. And they don't use their hands in soccer, except for keeping balance.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

rtucker6508 wrote:I just had an experience with my daughter in cold (20-30 degree) weather shooting for the SB portion of JO Qualifiers. !
Gotta be Washington state??

Yeah the hand warmers are your best bet. Put them in the toes of the boots too.
When we have our State 4-H competition here in NM we often (well 50%) are shooting at those temps at The Whittington Center in northern NM, we load them up with the hand warmers. 5-6 per kid.
A hot non-caffeinated tea with a touch of sugar or honey helps warm the insides.

Shooting at 6500ft altitude --- in the clouds
rtucker6508

Post by rtucker6508 »

jhmartin wrote:
rtucker6508 wrote:I just had an experience with my daughter in cold (20-30 degree) weather shooting for the SB portion of JO Qualifiers. !
Gotta be Washington state??

Yeah the hand warmers are your best bet. Put them in the toes of the boots too.
When we have our State 4-H competition here in NM we often (well 50%) are shooting at those temps at The Whittington Center in northern NM, we load them up with the hand warmers. 5-6 per kid.
A hot non-caffeinated tea with a touch of sugar or honey helps warm the insides.

Shooting at 6500ft altitude --- in the clouds
No, actually North Georgia a week ago... it was freezing and their blowers are bringing in outside cold air directly at the shooters.
Rob Tucker
http://www.TheShootersEdge.us
rtucker6508

Post by rtucker6508 »

Thank you everyone for the tips! Very much appreciated. We have stocked up on electric and regular hand warmers to try!
beye

Post by beye »

I shoot outdoor prone year round. Supposed to be 27* at match time in the morning. I take a heavy square terrycloth pot holder (one that has room for almost the whole hand inside), put one of the chemical handwarmers (as big as will fit) inside and lay it beside me (shooting hand side). When my fingers start getting cold, I put my shooting hand inside for 30-45 seconds. The whole pad is warm, so it warms up the hand fairly quickly. Tried gloves with and without some means of heating and it simply changed too much about the grip, distance to trigger or handstop, etc.