.38 special reloading question

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

topclass

.38 special reloading question

Post by topclass »

I'm loading .38 Special using Bullseye powder in .357 magnum cases to shoot in a Colt Trooper Mk 2. Do I need to make any adjustments to my load from .38 reloading tables? Do I just use .38 data with the exception of loading to .357 magnum COL? Am I right in assuming that with a larger case the same charge will result in less pressure and reduced bullet speed? It's been a while since I loaded pistol rounds and my records of what I did in the past are AWOL.

Thanks for your help!
Rover

Re: .38 special reloading question

Post by Rover »

"Am I right in assuming that with a larger case the same charge will result in less pressure and reduced bullet speed?"

You're correct, BUT to assume you will get equal accuracy as your .38....uh, uh. You'll have to work up an accuracy load. You might try magnum primers as well.
David M

Post by David M »

A Chronograph will become your best friend.
Slug your barrel, load for target velocity, have fun.
Rover

Post by Rover »

BTW Colt's and S&W M52s usually have a .355 bore.

You would want your cylinder throats (assuming a revolver) to be the same or larger. Frequently, there is a constriction where the barrel screws into the frame. You can cure that with firelapping.

I would go with swaged wadcutters for this type shooting.
argus

Post by argus »

David M wrote:A Chronograph will become your best friend.
Slug your barrel, load for target velocity, have fun.
and....?
What velocity would you recommend for 25m/50m?
How much over slug size do you suggest for cast projectiles?

Edit: Don't worry, search was my friend....
David M wrote:You can use a slightly slower burning powder with more bulk. This will give a better load density (less airspace).
Load to your favorite target velocity (780-820 fps) depending on your barrel twist.
The revolver will also like button nose cast wad cutters with the lead loaded out and crimped into a crimp groove.
David M wrote:Use a soft or pure lead cast unsized wadcutter. You can squash it in a vice to swell the size a little if needed.
Carefully drive the slug thru the barrel using a brass drift, with a revolver you will have to drive from the muzzle.
Measure with a micrometer across lands.
Cast projectiles should be .001" to .002" larger than barrel (Hard cast .001" over).
Chamber needs to be at least projectile size or up to .001" over.