Custom Precision suit time... Recommendations?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Montana

Custom Precision suit time... Recommendations?

Post by Montana »

So, my daughter has come to the point of her shooting where a custom shooting precision suit is looking like it needs to occur. Who would you recommend or perhaps not recommend? If you can provide actual reasons, it would be great too.
jhmartin

Re: Custom Precision suit time... Recommendations?

Post by jhmartin »

Montana wrote:So, my daughter has come to the point of her shooting where a custom shooting precision suit is looking like it needs to occur. Who would you recommend or perhaps not recommend? If you can provide actual reasons, it would be great too.
How old is she (grade) ... does she hope to shoot in college?
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

Done growing? Done filling out? Scores 580-590 standing air intager?
Montana

Post by Montana »

She is a sophmore in high school, done growing and filling out. (Please Lord, no more filling out! LOL!!) We definitely know the scores she needs for collegiate shooting and I am confident she will be there by her junior year if not sooner. She shoots small bore and air rifle. She has already been in contact with a few collegiate programs to get on their radar. We have great coaches and very blessed for their guidance along the way. Hope that info helps...
triggerhappy

Post by triggerhappy »

Check with Robert Oberle, Oberle Enterprises. We got my daughters suit from him (Monard) and she's very happy with it. The customer service is second to none and we have started ordering a lot of other things from him.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

From my own experience:
0) She is not done growing. Even thru college my daughter changed as her nutrition and workouts were progressing.

1) A good start on a custom suit is a Kurt Thune ... be aware if she is doing very well in her senior year, and she signs with a school, in all probability she will be re-measured for a school suit at JOs her senior year. So maybe not top of the line here as she will grow & change a bit ... go for something to last say 3 years. Plus it will take (guessing here at this time of year) about 6 weeks minimum to get it here ... they are not "Made in the USA")

2) I'm guessing you are in Montana, how far are you from Stevensville? Joe Hein (Elite Shooting Sports - Thune, Hitex & Kusterman) is headquartered there.

3) For a custom suit, I'd really recommend you get it measured, that way if something is off they fix it.

4) If you are willing to go to Colorado, Robert (mentioned above) is a great guy with his business (Oberle Enterprises - Monard Suits) in Hudson Colorado;
and Joe has someone in Colorado Springs at the OTC to do measurements for Thune. (Those who know me, know I recommend her!)

5) If you do have minor adjustments, many times a shop that works on heavy canvas, awnings, etc can do these for you. There is a shoe/boot repair many of us use in Colorado Springs, Andies Shoe Repair on E. Pikes Peak ... Jodie does great work ... I've had her adjust jackets & pants and even replace/rework entire jacket panels to fit & comply with the new rules.

The suit I got for my daughter in high school (mid-line Thune) would no longer fit her today. Even the college bought custom Hitex now (after graduation) has areas that need improving, and she will probably get a new one soon.
Again - I recommend a mid-level custom.
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

I will second everything Joel said, especially the parts about her not being done growing, and the benefits of getting measured by an authorized representative of whoever you decide to get the suit from. I can certainly understand if it's not practical (it wasn't for me, here in San Diego), but at the very least get measured by someone who has done it before. If you're planning a trip to the OTC for some reason, that's an excellent time to get measured, or give Joe Hein a call.

Brand-wise, many members of our club have gotten excellent mileage out of the Monard Standard suits; we've sent plenty of folks to college with them, and they're quite affordable.