Recommended Trigger or Gun Lock?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

SlartyBartFast

Recommended Trigger or Gun Lock?

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Okay first off: I have the following legal requirements to transport my pistols:
11 An individual may transport a restricted firearm only if
(a) it is unloaded;
(b) it is rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device;
(c) it is in a locked container that is made of an opaque material and is of such strength, construction and nature that it cannot readily be broken open or into or accidentally opened during transportation; and
(d) if it is in a container described in paragraph (c) that is in an unattended vehicle,
(i) when the vehicle is equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the container is in that trunk or compartment and the trunk or compartment is securely locked, and
(ii) when the vehicle is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the vehicle, or the part of the vehicle that contains the container, is securely locked and the container is not visible from outside the vehicle.
I don't want to discuss the law. It is what it is.
11 (a) and 11 (c) are simple. My pistols are never loaded except for at the firing line and I currently have a pelican case that fits my S&W, and will be getting a locking toolbox for my newly acquired FAS607.
The condition I'm trying to fulfil in a more elegant manner is 11 (b). While the standard taught is to use either a classic trigger lock or a cable lock I have the following problems:
- Classic trigger locks seem to be perfectly fitted for some revolver design of trigger and trigger guard. As such, my current trigger lock fits on the S&W only after two pins were broken and the lock is placed at an odd angle (or I take a knife to a couple locating lumps on each half of the lock). I'm not even certain a classic trigger lock will fit on the FAS.
- For cable locks, I wouldn't have a problem using a good one on the S&W. Just think the one the pistol came with is a POS that has no business being near the pistol. The big problem is the FAS. A cable lock won't pass through the grip. Unless I made a hole somewhere for it to come through.
As I have no extra locks at this time, the FAS is "secured" by removing the grip and installing the cheap POS cable lock that came with the S&W.
So, any ideas or recommendations?
Anyone have experience with Omega gun locks? (http://www.omegagunlock.com/semi-auto-pistols)
Maybe another Canadian or two might be able to chime in on how the local enforcement types might interpret "secure locking device".
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
ChipEck

Re: Recommended Trigger or Gun Lock?

Post by ChipEck »

If they are semi autos I wonder if you could just pull the slide off. Put it back on at the match or practice. That would render them "inoperable"?????

Chip
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

ChipEck wrote:If they are semi autos I wonder if you could just pull the slide off. Put it back on at the match or practice. That would render them "inoperable"?????

Chip
Nope. Needs to be a "secure locking device".
- FAS SP607
Chia

Post by Chia »

Can you provide the full statute number please.
ShootingSight

Post by ShootingSight »

I don't understand the law. They should include the word 'and' or 'or' between the requirements. Surely it does not need to have a trigger lock and be locked in a case?
Art Neergaard
ShootingSight LLC
www.shootingsight.com
info@shootingsight.com
513-702-4879
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

ShootingSight wrote:I don't understand the law. They should include the word 'and' or 'or' between the requirements. Surely it does not need to have a trigger lock and be locked in a case?
To transport, needs to have a trigger lock and be in a locked case.
Correction, it needs to be rendered inoperable with a secure locking device. Which could be anything that makes it impossible to shoot.
Last edited by SlartyBartFast on Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
- FAS SP607
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Chia wrote:Can you provide the full statute number please.
Canadian law.
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regu ... index.html

I'm only looking for the best trigger lock, not looking to fight the law.
- FAS SP607
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Would a cable lock through the barrel work? The law quoted says the firearm must be rendered inoperable by means if a secure locking device, not where this must be.
Chia

Post by Chia »

Secured lockingdevice is defined elsewhere in that rule set.
secure locking device means a device
(a) that can only be opened or released by the use of
an electronic, magnetic or mechanical key or by setting
the device in accordance with an alphabetical or
numerical combination; and
(b) that, when applied to a firearm, prevents the
firearm from being discharged. (dispositif de verrouillage
sécuritaire)
Source: Here

No problem if you don't want a discussion, was just curious. Sorry I can't help with the physical aspect.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

Cable lock will work with any firearm.
Law says nothing about a TRIGGER lock.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Tim S wrote:Would a cable lock through the barrel work? The law quoted says the firearm must be rendered inoperable by means if a secure locking device, not where this must be.
Yeah, that will work.
Need to find a source of a good quality one if I'm going to do it that way. The one provided with the S&W doesn't fit in a 22 barrel.
- FAS SP607
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Chia wrote:Secured lockingdevice is defined elsewhere in that rule set.
secure locking device means a device
(a) that can only be opened or released by the use of
an electronic, magnetic or mechanical key or by setting
the device in accordance with an alphabetical or
numerical combination; and
(b) that, when applied to a firearm, prevents the
firearm from being discharged. (dispositif de verrouillage
sécuritaire)
Source: Here

No problem if you don't want a discussion, was just curious. Sorry I can't help with the physical aspect.
Just don't want this to be devolve into a political discussion is all.
The thing with the law is that it would seem to all manner of device. But the pamphlets produced by the police and the training materials, for the safety course only talk about trigger and cable locks. So I really want to find a nice elegant and secure method, I fear that any police officer might be more concerned with what they are familiar with than the letter of the law.
- FAS SP607
rmca

Post by rmca »

SlartyBartFast,

There are numerous models of trigger locks available.
My advice would be for you to go to your local gun shop, taking your gun with you, and test one that fits better than the one you have now.

Hope this helps
ChipEck

Post by ChipEck »

Be very careful. Not sure anyone manufactures a well made trigger or cable lock for a gun. I have tried several. Most all/maybe all have cheap locks made in a country that has a reputation of low quality. I had one handgun that had a trigger lock that I had to break to get off and that made a tiny ding in the finish.
I would also suggest (if you can find a high quality lock) that you get them keyed alike so one key will open all locks.

Chip
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

I use the very cheapest Wal-Mart locks. $12 USD for four of them. Two sides connected by a keyed bolt. I grind a slot for a screwdriver in the bolt so I don't have to worry about a key. It meets the letter of the law (and yes, I was using them in Canada...also for air transport).
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

ChipEck wrote:Not sure anyone manufactures a well made trigger or cable lock for a gun.
From all the videos and reviews online I agree with you. Hence my search for something that is actually useful and effective.

Really wish something like the magazine lock available for the AR-15 variants was available for other firearms. IMO, if every magazine fed gun had internal notches or slots at the same position in the frame, it would be possible to have a universal locking mechanism that inserts into dummy magazines. A vertical hole on the underside of the bolt could lock the bolt closed.

Also really liked the concept behind the IC-Locks (ic13arms). But only for some Glocks or SW M&P Shield pistols.

Frankly, the IC-Lock wall mounting system is cool. While so many people seem paranoid about letting everyone know you have firearms, I feel some firearms are as impressive as many works of art. Why not (safely & legally) display them in your home?

Or, keep them in a cabinet, room, or closet displayed/arranged and secured nicely and not hidden away in a box or safe.
- FAS SP607