Steyr air rifle

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

william

Steyr air rifle

Post by william »

I noticed an ad on another site for a Steyr air rifle, and it made me wonder. I see very few Steyrs at matches. This seems strange given their dominance on the pistol lines. I can't imagine they are in any way inferior to FWB and Annie. Is it anything but marketing? And if that's all it is, since they obviously know how to get their pistols into the right hands why can't they get the same market penetration among rifle shooters?
10M_Stan

Re: Steyr air rifle

Post by 10M_Stan »

From what I have discerned, Steyr makes the Challenge as their only 10M match air rifle which is in direct competition with Anschutz, FWB, Hammerli and Wather. Also, in the USA, it seems Anschutz is the distributor and does not sell the Steyr Challenge. But they sell several hunting (FAC+) Steyr air rifles. I expect the Challenge 10M match air rife is world class (it is certainly fugly enough).

Piefou

Post by Piefou »

The web portal of Anschutz (https://www.anschuetz-sport.com/) is linking Steyr website, and also, Wikipedia say : "J. G. Anschütz company is also the major shareholder of the Austrian target firearms manufacturer Steyr Sportwaffen GmbH." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._G._Ansch%C3%BCtz)

Maybe they are focusing Steyr mainly on pistols, and Anschutz on rifles.
I think that Anschutz made also pistols some years ago.
FWB P700 Alu & JSB S100 pellets // Annie 1913 Precise & Eley Sport bullets
william

Post by william »

Thank you both for intelligent replies.
Piefou wrote:Maybe they are focusing Steyr mainly on pistols, and Anschutz on rifles.
I think that Anschutz made also pistols some years ago.
Anschütz was (is?) part of the marketing scheme of the LP2. You're probably thinking of the breathtakingly good M10 which was designed by il Maestro Cesare Morini, built by SAM, and initially distributed by Anschütz with their brand name on it.
renzo

Post by renzo »

If you take off the grips from a Steyr LP-10, you´ll find "Anschutz" stamped on the frame......................
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

It’s like asking why FWB air rifles are popular and winning medals, but very few FWB pistols are seen at matches?

Anschütz practically owns Steyr Sport. If I’m not mistaken, they have an 80% share on the company. They cater the precision air rifle and rimfire crowd and have no need to market a new 10 meter airpistol.
atomicbrh

Post by atomicbrh »

The story goes that Anschutz had to buy a portion of Steyr to acquire the Steyr Stabilizer shot deadening system because Anschutz recognized the Steyr system was better than anything they could come up with. Steyr-sportswaffen supposedly needed some working capital at that time so it was a good fit. I shoot a Allen Zasadny modified LG100 manufactured in 2001 for Open Silhouette and a absolutely stock LG110 manufactured in 2012 for Target Silhouette.
I have much more success with these two Steyr rifles than my previous Walther and Anschutz rifles. I am sticking with Steyr. The Austrians know how to build rifles. I am guessing that it has to do with just pure feel as in ergonomics as to why FWB and Anschutz are more popular in the 10m world. When I switched from a Aluminum stocked Anschutz 2002CA in 2012 to the LG110, the LG110 kind of felt strange and foreign to me. After 6 months of shooting the LG110, I shot the 2002CA one day and it felt strange and foreign to me. So it was just whatever rifle I had become accustomed to. If the top 10m folks would work with the Steyr for an extended period of time without picking up another rifle, it would be right at the top like the other brands.

I bought my LG110 from the forum sponsor Pilkington guns and it has been a great rifle.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

atomicbrh wrote:The Austrians know how to build rifles.
That’s for sure. In my opinion, the Germans have an edge over the Austrians when it comes to manufacturing awesome guns...
william

Post by william »

kevinweiho wrote:
That’s for sure. In my opinion, the Germans have an edge over the Austrians when it comes to manufacturing awesome guns...
Do you mean like this one?
Attachments
062_Tir_Bertha.jpg
062_Tir_Bertha.jpg (16.41 KiB) Viewed 5073 times
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Didn't the German army need the loan of Austrian guns for the siege of Liege in 1914?
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

william wrote:
kevinweiho wrote:
Do you mean like this one?
Yep, those are one of the guns... The list can go on with the Mauser K98, Sturmgewehr 44, MG42, MP40, V2 Rocket, etc... All these weapons were advanced for their time and shows they have the know-how in making guns.
william

Post by william »

Mention of the Mauser K98 reminded me of a comment from long ago.

In the Great War, the Germans (Mauser 98) had the best hunting rifle; the Americans (Springfield 03) had the best target rifle; and the British (SMLE) had the best military rifle.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I have to admit, I was a bit concerned with so few Steyr Air Rifles being used. However, having purchased a used one for my daughter we have been very pleased with it. It's her "baby"...

This past July we had the gun pellet tested at the Olympic Training Center and it shot a 5.6 grouping, which I was told is a "get your camera out" grouping. The only negatives we have found is the need to bring our own fill adapter to national events just to be safe as its different from others, and the air cylinder is a little bit more expensive which we need to buy in less than 6 months. As well as the palm rest has a couple filler pieces you can install to raise the gun up, but they are a bit frustrating to install, especially during change over in a match. We are hoping to find another option for her to use for offhand in the future.
Peakconti

Post by Peakconti »

My son shoots a Steyr LG100 (for Wofford) and loves it, we purchased it used from Pilkertons I think back in 2007, I shot it previously, not only does it look cool, it shoots great. Just had to purchase a new cylinder this past winter and yes the cylinders are expensive but I think that's the case for most air rifles
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Montana wrote:The only negatives we have found is the need to bring our own fill adapter to national events just to be safe as its different from others,
Don't think of this as a negative.
I ALWAYS have my shooters attach their own adapter to the cylinder and take it up to the fill station.
I have had 2 cylinders (and 2 receivers) destroyed (crossthreaded & torn up) by the folks at the fill stations (at Ft Benning & the JOs in ColoSprings). Now, I'd rather replace a fill adapter for $50-$100 than spend another ~$600 for a new cylinder & receiver.
Montana

Post by Montana »

That is a very good point! I never thought about that possibility, I was still at the basic level of "worry" vs the "Wisdom" you bring to the table.

That IS very good advice to attach "your adapter" to "your cylinder", something we will be sure to put into place in the future!!
gspell68

Post by gspell68 »

william wrote:I noticed an ad on another site for a Steyr air rifle, and it made me wonder. I see very few Steyrs at matches. This seems strange given their dominance on the pistol lines. I can't imagine they are in any way inferior to FWB and Annie. Is it anything but marketing? And if that's all it is, since they obviously know how to get their pistols into the right hands why can't they get the same market penetration among rifle shooters?
I was kind of wondering the same thing.
I'd heard of the Steyr name, but somehow pushed it out of my brain when I was searching for a 10M gun for my son.
Then I saw a Challenger/LG110 type on the Anniston CMP range last month.

The thing that scares me away from the Stery name is that I borrowed a Hämmerli AR20 from the Anniston range for my other son to test out.
The range cadre guys kept calling the AR20 "The Steyr".
What a piece-o'-junk.
Either of my sons can outshoot the AR20 with a Crosman Challenger.
That thing is heavy.
Not just a little bit either: it's like blunderbuss heavy - and all in the barrel.
It made my teenaged son's back hurt for four more days after the 60 shots standing!
After about the 25th shot, he'd have to just throw the gun high and fire as it drifted down through the target!

But, I heard the PilkGuns air gun guru guy that sponsors this site is a Steyr distributor/repairer or similar.
A was kinda wondering his take on Steyr air rifles and why he thinks they're the cats meow and favors them over "the big three" that you see at all the air rifle meets...
Scott Pell
gspell68@gmail.com
Augusta, Georgia
Haireacane

Post by Haireacane »

Our high school team, Tift County, Georgia, has 8 of the Steyr LG110 air rifles and they have been in use for 9 seasons with zero problems. We also have 2 Anschutz 8002's and our kids much prefer the Steyr's. While I'm a pistol shooter I've shot both and I agree with the kids as I prefer the Steyr as it's much easier to adjust from position to position. My 4-H Air Pistol team has 8 Steyr Air Pistols and yes they are excellent and I'd say the air rifles are of the same quality.
gspell68

Post by gspell68 »

Haireacane wrote:Our high school team, Tift County, Georgia, has 8 of the Steyr LG110 air rifles and they have been in use for 9 seasons with zero problems. We also have 2 Anschutz 8002's and our kids much prefer the Steyr's. While I'm a pistol shooter I've shot both and I agree with the kids as I prefer the Steyr as it's much easier to adjust from position to position. My 4-H Air Pistol team has 8 Steyr Air Pistols and yes they are excellent and I'd say the air rifles are of the same quality.
I'm once again in the market for another 10m gun, this time for my youngest son.
It's just so hard to pull the trigger (pun definitely intended!) on a Steyr AR when you don't see them in many, if any, 10m competitions above the regional level; there doesn't seem to be a lot of stateside support; and it is sold at the price point of a similarly appointed Walther or FWB.
Scott Pell
gspell68@gmail.com
Augusta, Georgia
Montana

Post by Montana »

Scott, I understand your concerns but we leave tomorrow AM for the Olympic Training Center & the Winter Air Gun competition. My daughter will be shooting her Steyr LG110. As with most sports, we all chase the item those who are winning are using. Naturally, it’s why there is sponsoring by companies, they know how it works.

We got our gun used from Joe Hein (elite shooting sports) and it was his personal gun. The one he used through out his very successful shooting career. I know Ben Estes a college shooter used an LG110. Anschutz bought into Steyr because of their technology used in the LG110. Personally, my daughter loves her “baby” and as do I. This past July we had it pellet tested an it was in the 5.7-5.8mm range. Which I am told is excellent.

Not having bought a brand new rifle yet, I do understand your concerns. It’s kinda like the communality of the 350 Chevy engine in street rods. Parts are very available & it’s a concept hard to ignore.

Best of luck on your decision!