David Lyman Passes

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Hap Rocketto

David Lyman Passes

Post by Hap Rocketto »

David Botsford Lyman, 62, of Meriden, Connecticut, passed away suddenly on Tuesday, August 29, 2017, at 5:18PM in Columbus, Ohio, while visiting his son, Remington Perry Lyman.  He is survived by his wife of 40 years, Deborah Woessner Lyman; brother-in-law Dennis Woessner (Sherrill) of Glastonbury, CT; Douglas Woessner of Anchorage, Alaska; “Grandma” Dolores Woessner; two brothers Wallace and Charles Lyman (Carolyn), their children and many Lyman’s that fill a hard-covered book.  Visitation, services, and burial will be determined. 

He was born in Middlefield, Connecticut on June 12, 1955, son of the late Pearl & Charles Lyman.  He was raised in Middlefield, attended the Independent Day School in Middlefield (where his mother taught), and then graduated from Wilbraham & Monson Academy.  He attended the University of Fairbanks, Alaska (competing on the Varsity Rifle Team) and then moved to Anchorage, Alaska to study rifle coaching under the auspices of Robert Hickey.  There he met his wife, Deb, a member of the University of Alaska Anchorage Rifle Team, they married in Anchorage, and moved to Connecticut so that he could continue coaching riflery and operate the family business—Blue Trail Range Corporation.  His only hobby and career revolved around coaching young shooters in handling firearms in a safe and accurate manner, and operating a small family business and commercial rifle range—Blue Trail in Wallingford, Connecticut--so that lawful abiding citizens could exercise their 2nd Amendment rights by having a safe place to shoot. 

He was an Endowment Life Member of the National Rifle Association; Life Member and served on the Board of Directors of the Connecticut State Rifle & Pistol Association; Past President & Lt. Governor of the Meriden Kiwanis Club; and, NRA Certified Rifle Instructor for almost 20,000 of the finest youngsters in the State of Connecticut.  He was truly one of the finest ambassadors of the shooting sports in this country.

Again, a formal obit and announcement will come in the next few days.  The Blue Trail Range Junior Rifle Club Endowment is being prepared by legal counsel, and will be managed and monitored by Craig Fishbein, Esquire.  He is currently being prepared for his next journey as an organ donor; I marked the paperwork that all recipients and to be pro-2nd Amendment.  While the medical field cannot promise, I’m sure David will be guiding the selection process.
jhmartin

Re: David Lyman Passes

Post by jhmartin »

What a great guy and a great family.
My prayers for their solace.
bugman1955

Post by bugman1955 »

I met David back in 1974 in Florida. He was around my age (14) I guess. He was very quiet and unassuming but he knew the sport even at that young age. He will not be forgotten. RIP.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

I have known Dave since he was a junior.
He has dedicated his life to the shooting sports, has had some of the best junior programs in the country.
He will be greatly missed, and cannot be replaced.
My best wishes, prayers and condolences go out to Debbie and Remington, and the rest of the Lyman family.
Marty Goodman