Looking for spotting scopes.

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

JFuller

Looking for spotting scopes.

Post by JFuller »

Having a hard time finding a scope that will allow me to use it without removing my shooting glasses, the problem is having enough eye relief so that the glasses will clear the eyepiece and not touch each other.
I should also mention that I also need to use it for 50M pistol .22 holes.
So far I have used some Celestron and Bushnell scopes with limited sucess, also a NG20. Any thoughts.
Rover

Re: Looking for spotting scopes.

Post by Rover »

Hubert

Post by Hubert »

Kowa TSN-600 series with Kowa TE-17HD 25x LER eyepiece.
I believe Nikon makes one as well with Long Eye Relieeyepiece.
JFuller

Post by JFuller »

I'll have to keep an eye on ebay, the other sugestion would have been close to four figures to buy in Canada. Thanks.
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

A spotting scope is a one time investment and for this product, you get what you pay for.

While the Kowa series is certainly more expensive, their long eye relief eye pieces are excellent. The 600 series is a good compromise between weight, size and cost while still getting very good glass. I have a 611 and also a TSN8xx series and have no plans on ever needing another for the rest of my life.

With either, I can see .22 holes at 100 yards w/ no issues and most of the time even without a backer target.

Regards
ken
j-team

Post by j-team »

Hubert wrote:Kowa TSN-600 series with Kowa TE-17HD 25x LER eyepiece.
I can definately reccomend the Kowa 25x LER eyepiece as well. So much easier to use even if you don't have glasses on.
Elmas

Post by Elmas »

It occurred to me that one could use a security camera mounted near the target and view the shots on a smartphone or laptop on the bench . But do these security cameras have enough resolution to show the holes on the Ten Meter paper ISSF targets . Would it be a cost effective way to avoid peering into spotting scopes ?
RJP

Post by RJP »

j-team wrote:
Hubert wrote:Kowa TSN-600 series with Kowa TE-17HD 25x LER eyepiece.
I can definitely recommend the Kowa 25x LER eyepiece as well. So much easier to use even if you don't have glasses on.
+1 on this recommendation. This is what I have and it is great. I am a pistol shooter.

Many years ago at Camp Perry, one of the vendors set up a display with many the available brands spotting scopes mounted on an outdoor stand. You were able to look through all scopes and make your own comparison. Kowa scopes were among the best in terms of clarity and ability to see .22 bullets holes at 50 yards (or even 100 yards for you rifle shooters). The 25X Long Eye Relief eyepiece allowed for full field of view with glasses on.

In practical use, I use my left eye for spotting only because it is easier to flip up the left eye blinder of my Knobloch shooting glasses to look for .22 holes. My right eye lens is focused on my front sight and I would have to turn my head more to look through the scope. The long eye relief eyepiece is still worth while because sometimes I shoot with regular safety glasses on. I only use my spotting scope to confirm my called shot.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Elmas wrote:It occurred to me that one could use a security camera mounted near the target and view the shots on a smartphone or laptop on the bench .
https://targetvisioncam.com/collections/spotting-scope
http://www.asu-nvg.com/products/product ... _/redtail/

There are others as well.

Haven't tried any of them. Seriously considering getting the TargetVision Hawk and a scope. But the Hawk seems difficult to get a hold of for now.
(https://targetvisioncam.com/products/ha ... 8016229892)
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607