TargetTalk

A forum to talk about Olympic style shooting, rifle or pistol, 10 meters to 50 meters, and whatever is in between. Hosted by Pilkguns.com
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pellets sticking in trap
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:36 pm 

I have been shooting an AP with sub par velocity for a year (my first one) and finally convinced the CEO to let me spring for a used "KITE" at Perry WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!! I have only had it for a few days but for me it is a dream come true except that I have a question on it's velocity. I noticed tonight that the pellets are actually "sticking" to the plate in my Gehmann traps. Is this unusual/problematic? Should I turn the gun down or treat the plates with a lube? Thanks.
Roger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:39 pm 

Switch to a box of rags.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:44 pm 

Rover wrote:
Switch to a box of rags.

Thanks, seems you think no prob so I'll just throw a dishtowel in each.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:42 pm 

massrog wrote:
I have been shooting an AP with sub par velocity for a year (my first one) and finally convinced the CEO to let me spring for a used "KITE" at Perry WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!! I have only had it for a few days but for me it is a dream come true except that I have a question on it's velocity. I noticed tonight that the pellets are actually "sticking" to the plate in my Gehmann traps. Is this unusual/problematic? Should I turn the gun down or treat the plates with a lube? Thanks.
Roger

I gave an old FWB-65 that'll stick the softer H&N pellets once in awhile in my Gehmann target rear plate. I never really concern myself since I've not noticed it to be an issue

I wouldn't worry about it unless you're seeing richicets now and then. And they're easy enough to pop loose if you want to.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:36 pm 

What's the big deal? I've been using one that I bought from Don Nygord 20± years ago. I'm pretty sure it's the same item. When the back plate got a little rough pellets started sticking, and then - lead being lead - later shots mold themselves to the ones already there and build up a mound of lead.

When it's time to empty the trap, all I do is pry the pile of lead off with a putty knife and hang it back up.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:56 pm 

william wrote:
What's the big deal? I've been using one that I bought from Don Nygord 20± years ago. I'm pretty sure it's the same item. When the back plate got a little rough pellets started sticking, and then - lead being lead - later shots mold themselves to the ones already there and build up a mound of lead.

When it's time to empty the trap, all I do is pry the pile of lead off with a putty knife and hang it back up.
Joe58 wrote:
massrog wrote:
Roger

I gave an old FWB-65 that'll stick the softer H&N pellets once in awhile in my Gehmann target rear plate. I never really concern myself since I've not noticed it to be an issue

I wouldn't worry about it unless you're seeing richicets now and then. And they're easy enough to pop loose if you want to.

Thanks for the reply's guys. I was concerned that maybe the gun was turned up too much. Is there a velocity limit in matches? I've been watching my pellets go down range for so long that I didn't know what to expect with a "real" gun.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:31 pm 

"Thanks for the reply's guys. I was concerned that maybe the gun was turned up too much. Is there a velocity limit in matches? I've been watching my pellets go down range for so long that I didn't know what to expect with a "real" gun."

No velocity limit in matches. Unless somebody buggered with it you'll find the Kite velocity pretty much in line with other PCPs - somewhere in the low 500s. If you're in Canada, over 499 fps = 149 M/s makes your AP a firearm and subject to some easily managed licensing.

I think Rover, our foremost slayer of bugaboos, would agree:
1. Don't sweat the small stuff.
2. It's all small stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:53 am 

william wrote:
"Thanks for the reply's guys. I was concerned that maybe the gun was turned up too much. Is there a velocity limit in matches? I've been watching my pellets go down range for so long that I didn't know what to expect with a "real" gun."

No velocity limit in matches. Unless somebody buggered with it you'll find the Kite velocity pretty much in line with other PCPs - somewhere in the low 500s. If you're in Canada, over 499 fps = 149 M/s makes your AP a firearm and subject to some easily managed licensing.

I think Rover, our foremost slayer of bugaboos, would agree:
1. Don't sweat the small stuff.
2. It's all small stuff.

That's the way I heard it too: "Rover only has small stuff!" 8^)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:42 pm 

I applied some silicon grease to the steel plate.
No sticking pellets in thousands of shots.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:58 pm 

Misny, aren't you the guy with the stained, ratty T-shirt that proudly proclaims, "I Choked Linda Lovelace!"

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:27 pm 

this went sideways fast....
maybe I'll start the popcorn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:36 pm 

Pellets stack in my air rifle targets all he time. Once the pile reaches 1/2" tall or about it either falls off or I just peel if off and throw it in the pile with the other stacks.