Jr. Rifle Education and Recommendations

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

TurboDiverArt

Jr. Rifle Education and Recommendations

Post by TurboDiverArt »

Hi All,

I know this is the right place to be asking this but I’m overwhelmed trying to locate the information I’m looking for. I’m assuming there have already been many discussions on this topic so pointing me in the right direction is fine.

I’m trying to get an education on .22LR target rifles. My daughter started shooting Jr. Rifle about 7 months ago. She’s already top in her club (excluding the kids on college scholarship) and won the NJ state championship in prone a month ago (and didn’t even shoot very well). She’s currently using a club provided Izhmash CM-2 rifle. It shoots well enough but not having much adjustability beyond the butt plate is causing her trouble in position.

Anyway, I’m a little overwhelmed trying to education myself on rifles, barrel lengths, etc. Most in our club seem to use Anschutz rifles and a few use Walther’s. Some use very long 690mm barrels but one uses a very short 500mm barrel and he’s arguably the best in the club having just won the NRA national junior prone championship in Bristol. Most of the current kids on scholarship seem to be using the Anschutz 2013 in precise stock. My daughters very petite so I assume a lighter rifle would benefit her especially in off-hand. Currently with the heavy Izhmash with all the added stock weight to make it balanced she has very little time once on target before she starts to feel fatigue. She’s on and off the stand multiple times with off-hand per shot.

I’m trying to learn all this because shortly I believe I’ll be in the market for a rifle for her. She’s 15 years old, 5’3” at about 105lbs.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Art.
Tim S

Re: Jr. Rifle Education and Recommendations

Post by Tim S »

Art,

Congratulations to your daughter on her success.

In terms of brand, as you have seen Anschutz are more common. The Anschutz 54.30, 1907, and 1913 are all based around the 63 year old Match 54 action (with many improvements); it's tried and tested. The 2013 is a variant of the Match 54; this is the one commonly found with the 500mm barrel. Anschutz also make the lighter 1903 ( Match 64 action), but this may not be a huge improvement over the Iszmash. Walther rifles are excellent too. The new KK500 is an advanced and design, offer many of the features found on the uber-expensive Swiss Bleiker and Grunig & Elmiger rifles. It has enjoyed notable success at international level. Don't forget Feinwerkbau, they make small bore rifles as well as 10m air rifles. The 2700 was used to win the 3x20 at the Rio Olympics.

Regarding barrels, 690mm and 500mm barrels can both shoot winning scores, as can lengths in between. For the same diameter a 690mm barrel will be heavier than a 500mm barrel. The 690mm barrel will also balance further towards the muzzle. These are advantages for an adult man only shooting prone, but disadvantages for a 5'3" girl in 3-P. A lighter barrel would be less tiring. Weight can be added if needed to a light rifle, than it can be removed from a too-heavy barrel.

An extension tube is a must with a 500mm barrel to make up the sight radius; the payoff is that tubes get dirty quickly, and must be cleaned regularly. Longer, but slimmer, barrels like the Walther 650mm or Anschutz 1907 (660 × 22mm) can be used without an extension tube.

You may want to read these recent threads from the rifle forum:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=52912

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54873

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=55472

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=55054

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54690

Tim
Last edited by Tim S on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

If she's petite, then I've found that the Anschutz rifles are just a bit too heavy.
Look at a FWB 2700-Lite and also the Walther KK-500 lite-barrel
TurboDiverArt

Post by TurboDiverArt »

Thank you both very much, this is exactly the type of information I'm looking for!

Art.
dakota308

Post by dakota308 »

My daughter is about the same size as yours. I got her a FWB 2700 with the short barrel and bloop tube. It lightens the overall rifle and moves the center of gravity back. She had no problem with the weight. Many other rifles can be found with the same set-up. Remember, it is always easier to add weight to a rifle rather than trying to remove. Another suggestion would be to try rifles from others on the team and see how they feel and whether she can adjust them to fit her.

Corey