Physical training

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

CMiller58

Physical training

Post by CMiller58 »

Hello all!

So I have been shooting for about 9 years now and after a much needed break it's time to get back to work! So the question I have is what are some ways you physically train? I am a power lifter and know this is not good for this sport. So if any of you could share some helpful work out schedules or exercises? Thank you!

Cory Miller
william

Re: Physical training

Post by william »

I'm pretty sure Rover will recommend regular lifting of one-liter containers that become a little lighter with each lift.

My preference is for pints. I've also found that slow lifts of 1.5 ounces shortly before a match can be of value. I believe it was Doc Young who coined the phrase "group tightener."
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

Any aerobic exercise. Run swim cycle basketball...
Rover

Post by Rover »

It's true, William. That's my recommendation. It's called "eine Maß". Mmm!

It appears we're in total agreement. Now, we'd be good if we could get the rest of these putzes on board.
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Greetings- we continue to be amazed at how different sport skills cross, and compliment, each other. We play ice hockey 2-3 times a week (yes, we know it is summer in North America). While working on our wrist shot last night we focused on the sweet spot of the stick's blade, and repeatedly shot the puck with very accurate results. We were reminded that pistol shooting and puck shooting are the same thing, using different tools.

Each sport has a set of skills that can translate and develop the other's skill set. Pick the exercise that works for you.

The USAMU manual has a section on conditioning that may be of value-

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/chapter8.htm

Cheers!
m1963
Rover

Post by Rover »

m1963, I think that's true and I think "cross-training" is a great idea.

BTW Willie, we here in the desert call it "wet shooting."
bugman1955

Post by bugman1955 »

Light weights and more repetitions will help with endurance. Stay away from heavy weights they can be detrimental to your shooting. And don't forget your cardio. But no substitution for actual shooting.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

Cardio aerobic exercise should be top priority. The whole point is to have a 45 resting pulse rather than 75.
atomicbrh

Post by atomicbrh »

I have a different opinion from most people.
Continue powerlifting. Proper strength training never hurts anything. Strength always helps.
Just make sure you are in good cardio shape by adding running or cycling to your workout routine.
Cardio as said by others lowers resting heart rate.
Stay loose through lots of stretching and roller rolling with the goal of never losing any of your range of movement. If you have a lot of experience with weights, you know that weights can be used to increase flexibility and range of movement not just increase muscle mass as most people think.
Anschutz

Post by Anschutz »

atomicbrh wrote:I have a different opinion from most people.
Continue powerlifting. Proper strength training never hurts anything. Strength always helps.
Just make sure you are in good cardio shape by adding running or cycling to your workout routine.
Cardio as said by others lowers resting heart rate.
Stay loose through lots of stretching and roller rolling with the goal of never losing any of your range of movement. If you have a lot of experience with weights, you know that weights can be used to increase flexibility and range of movement not just increase muscle mass as most people think.
EXACTLY….