Stainless Steel barrel care and maintenance

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

topclass

Stainless Steel barrel care and maintenance

Post by topclass »

pardon me if I've posted this in the wrong place....am in the process of acquiring my first stainless steel barreled rifle. Anything unique or different I need to do for its care and maintenance?
Tim S

Re: Stainless Steel barrel care and maintenance

Post by Tim S »

Clean and maintain it as any other barrel. If you live in a damp or humid area, remember that the alloy used for barrels isn't a true stainless like cutlery, it can rust in the right circumstances.

If it's a .22lr I'd suggest regular use of a bronze brush for the first few thousand rounds. There will be fine radial tooling marks in the chamber and throat from the chambering reamer. These can shave lead from the bullet, but will wear smooth. While this happens the brush will ensure lead doesn'the adhere to the bore.
Last edited by Tim S on Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
bugman1955

Re: Stainless Steel barrel care and maintenance

Post by bugman1955 »

Also remember to wipe the muzzle after a days shooting. If you use a bloop tube this is a must since rust will form.