How long will pellets keep?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Joe58

How long will pellets keep?

Post by Joe58 »

Perhaps a dumb question, but roughly, how long will pellets keep if stored climate controlled, and with respect to match grade pellets, with the seal around the lid in place?

I'm kind of an anal person who likes to have a decent inventory on hand, for both my pellets, .22, and a few centerfire rifles I shoot. Although I handload the centerfire ammo usually. It may sound a bit morbid, but I calculated about I much I shoot a year, then stored away what I figure will last me till I tip over. I'm 59 now, so it wasn't really that much. Lol.

And I will also confess to being a bit paranoid concerning the political whims that are blowing through the halls of Congress as far as regulating the amount ammo you can buy, and have on hand. Kind of the hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. :)

I've seen older pellets that get that grayish looking dusty look to them, but I don't know how long that took to develop and how they were stored.

So, 10 years? 25 maybe?
Rover

Re: How long will pellets keep?

Post by Rover »

I'm sure with that attitude you won't last long, but I plan to live forever.

Worry instead about what beer to drink during your trip to Germany when you go to pick up your lifetime supply of pellets.

Or, do a search on oxidized pellets. You will probably learn nothing.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

Pretty sure the lead on St Paul's Cathedral in London is the stuff Wren put there in 1670's so it goes grey then stabilises.
Taped up and unopened they will last indefinitely. Once opened they will go grey over a few years because of the metal tin. Partial tins for guests at our club I add couple of drops of pellet lube.
sparky

Post by sparky »

I don't have a definitive answer, but I can tell you that I have some pellets that I purchased back around 2000ish that have been stored in a semi-climate controlled garage (probably 40-85 degrees) with the tape seals on (as well as a couple half-full tins with no seals) that all look and shoot just fine.
Joe58

Post by Joe58 »

sparky wrote:I don't have a definitive answer, but I can tell you that I have some pellets that I purchased back around 2000ish that have been stored in a semi-climate controlled garage (probably 40-85 degrees) with the tape seals on (as well as a couple half-full tins with no seals) that all look and shoot just fine.
Thank you. That's pretty much what I figured. I appreciate the info.

Rover, was it necessary to insult me? My sincere apologies for offending you with my post.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

I have pellets that are more than 20 years old in their tin cases with no climate controlled storage whatsoever (I live in a coastal area) and they're still good.

As long as the lead pellets don't start turning white, (lead carbonate) they will last you a very, very long time.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I'm sorry you were insulted. I thought it was just a friendly poke (that's what she said).
Joe58

Post by Joe58 »

Rover wrote:I'm sorry you were insulted. I thought it was just a friendly poke (that's what she said).
No worries - Having a bad day...
mbradley

Post by mbradley »

If a tin goes bad, just scrape together the change under your car seats and buy another.
Joe58

Post by Joe58 »

mbradley wrote:If a tin goes bad, just scrape together the change under your car seats and buy another.
Yeah, I know they're relatively cheap as compared to powder burners food, but I like to buy in bulk to save some costs and shipping. So some tins could end up sitting around for a few years before I get to them. That's what I was actually wondering about.

And what happens sometimes is, you find something that works and you like, only to find it was discontinued. Or we're pissed off at country XYZ right now and aren't importing from them. Lol.

:)
PhatMan

Post by PhatMan »

Joe,

I have some H&N Match pellets I bought in 1978, and some field pellets (Lazapell) I bought in 2004.

These tins have just the usual tape around the lid.

I opened one tin of each to do some testing, and the pellets were in perfect condition.

So, un-opened, it seems that pellets will last at least 39 years :)

Have fun & a good Sunday,

Best regards

Russ
sparky

Post by sparky »

PhatMan wrote:Joe,

I have some H&N Match pellets I bought in 1978, and some field pellets (Lazapell) I bought in 2004.

These tins have just the usual tape around the lid.

I opened one tin of each to do some testing, and the pellets were in perfect condition.

So, un-opened, it seems that pellets will last at least 39 years :)

Have fun & a good Sunday,

Best regards

Russ
Either you're not shooting enough, or you've got a *serious* hoarding problem! :-)
Fwerk300

Post by Fwerk300 »

We have a club in South Texas. We rent the facility for shooting and store pallets inside a white utility trailer. Outside temperature will get to the hundreds - inside the trailer is going to be much higher. We keep the pellets in the boxes taped for over year at a time and have no problem whatsoever.
David M

Post by David M »

If you still have pellets from 1978, you are not doing enough shooting...