4 ParaAthletes head for World Shooting Para Sport Grand Prix

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

USA Shooting

4 ParaAthletes head for World Shooting Para Sport Grand Prix

Post by USA Shooting »

http://www.usashooting.org/news/2017/4/ ... grand-prix

Four Paralympians to Compete at World Shooting Para Sport Grand Prix

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (April 24, 2017)
Four USA Shooting Paralympic Team athletes will make their first return to international competition following the Paralympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil when they compete in the World Shooting Para Sport (WSPS) Grand Prix starting Wednesday in Szczecin, Poland.

The U.S. team will be led by Paralympic bronze medalist McKenna Dahl (Arlington, Washington, pictured right at the Paralympic Games) and her Rio teammates: Fellow rifle athlete Jazmin Almlie-Ryan (Houston, Texas), as well as Pistol athletes Tricia Downing (Denver, Colorado) and Marco DeLaRosa (San Antonio, Texas). At last year’s World Cup in Szczecin, DeLaRosa earned the first international medal of his career – silver – in the P1 (Men’s 10m Air Pistol SH1) event. Only Air Rifle and Air Pistol events will be contested at this Grand Prix.

“I’m really looking forward to a new start,” said Dahl who won bronze in R5 (Mixed 10m Air Rifle Prone SH2) at the Paralympic Games and fifth place in this event last year in Szczecin. “I’ve got some new equipment, new positions, new training plans and new coach in place since Rio. I’m excited to see how all of it’s going to fall into place.”

Also, making his debut as Paralympic Head Coach will be Armando Ayala (San Antonio, Texas) who took over the helm of the Paralympic program earlier this year. Read more about Ayala here:

“Coming off a rebuilding time since the Games, I feel the athletes are ready to engage the Quad,” Ayala said. “We’ve been identifying our challenges, and I feel we have a solid approach to competition. Some of the athletes have rebuilt positions as well as adaptive equipment since the Games. We may have some trials on mental and focus approach, but with some of the new stuff we’re working, I feel confident in the team’s overall performance.”

This Grand Prix will also be our U.S. athletes’ first opportunity to earn Minimum Qualifying Scores (MQS) required to compete in the WSPS World Championships in Cheongju, South Korea next year.

More information about this Grand Prix - including competition schedule - can be found here: View scores from this event here:

USA Shooting will also host a WSPS-Sanctioned competition in conjunction with its Rifle/Pistol National Championships June 25 – July 2 in Fort Benning, Georgia. More information on this match can be found here: