A National Match Discussion

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

RMinUT

Re: A National Match Discussion

Post by RMinUT »

Soupy44 wrote:....

I plan to attend Parry for the first time this summer for pistol. Never been for anything but smallbore. I've heard the target system is nearing the end of it's lifespan, and have no idea how it works. Is there a pistol shooter that could comment on a covered firing line being possible for pistol? Maybe the turning target system has removable frames that can be carried to holders at 50y? I doubt a covered line for HP will be a reality with the way matches are structured. Talladega has 3 electronic targets per firing point from what I understand. That, or the HP competitors all grab a pole and carry it down range :-P

I would like to keep the firing line grass though, takes the edge off for over a week straight to shooting on your knees and elbows.
The four times I went to Perry for pistol had no covered firing points, you are about as far from covered as you can be. The few tents that were setup were for NRA judges, and maybe a few AMU coaches and their golf carts to cool off in, they are in between or behind the firing lines. There are two firing lines so you cannot cover them, at least not the 25 yard line because you would to shoot over that from the 50 yard line. Soupy44, you will see when you go that the frames are not removable and it takes a tractor to carry any part of the pistol target stands. Enjoy, it's unlike any other pistol match you will attend but it's Perry!
Soupy44

Re: A National Match Discussion

Post by Soupy44 »

I look forward to the trip as I haven't been in about 8 years. I'm personally fine without covered firing points. Even with Smallbore's cover, add the Perry wind in and the cover was a pretty moot point. Heck, my best finish in Prone was the year they canceled the last 40 shots of the second day of irons due to the severe weather.

As for the targets, I wanted to theorize about a potential new system as I keep hearing the current one is on it's last legs. Do you think a turning system on the group could be paired with a target frame that moves distances.

From the pictures I'm looking at, it seems they have two firing lines so they don't have to have this. But if we'd want a covered firing line, the targets would have to move.

Choices, choices, choices!!!