Air gun shooter survey

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

jenrick

Air gun shooter survey

Post by jenrick »

So I'm doing some more formal research to flesh out the responses I received in my previous thread regarding starting an air gun range.

If you have a moment please fill out the following survey:

https://goo.gl/forms/ca03BciG7D070mG53

I'd guess it will take less then 10 minutes for most people.

Thanks!

-Jenrick
Finelld

Re: Air gun shooter survey

Post by Finelld »

I completed the survey. A couple of the questions didn't have correct answer options.

The first was where I compete. I am a member of the 10M Pistol Competition League on Facebook which is like a Postal Competition. There are no clubs or local competitions in San Antonio to my knowledge for 10M airgun sports. Postal competitions weren't given as an option.

Additionally, My employment status is retarded, I mean Retired :-). This was also not an option.

Best Regards,

David Finell
jenrick

Post by jenrick »

Thanks for taking the time to take the survey. I can't believe I missed retired as an employment option! I'll clarify the choices, postal matches would be "home or my property."

I saw you're response in the other thread, thanks for the offer of assistance. As things progress I'll keep in touch!

-Jenrick
Rover

Post by Rover »

" My employment status is retarded, I mean Retired..."

Does this mean you're depraved on account of you're deprived?
nglitz

Post by nglitz »

Rover wrote:Does this mean you're depraved on account of you're deprived?
I wonder how many are going to get that one!
Norm
in beautiful, gun friendly New Jersey
RED RAIDER

Post by RED RAIDER »

Stay away from target runners. Most air rifle shooters hate them. If Electronic scoring is not an option, then I would suggest Orion Scoring.
jenrick

Post by jenrick »

Interesting, I've never had the luxury of training with target returners. What's the issue with them?

-Jenrick
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

jenrick wrote:Interesting, I've never had the luxury of training with target returners. What's the issue with them?

-Jenrick
One shot per card means 60 returns and changes when you could be preparing.

Pistol shooters often have 2 or more per card.
jenrick

Post by jenrick »

Ah good point

-Jenrick
Chia

Post by Chia »

Took the survey. I wish that there was someone within my area who was doing something like this. Good luck to you.
jenrick

Post by jenrick »

Thanks to all who have taken the survey so far.

Chia: My long term macro hope (well beyond growing the sport and making a living doing it) is that if this succeeds, others will see it and decide its a good business opportunity in their area. Sort of like how rock climbing gyms have appeared all over.

-Jenrick
kcwwcb

Post by kcwwcb »

Survey complete. I am in San Antonio as well and have 2 junior shooters competing in precision air rifle. We travel to the other main cities in Texas for matches but none are close to our area. We would be very interested in anything you put together. There are just not a lot of options in South, Central Texas. My email was included with the survey so please don't hesitate to reach out.

Kevin
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

I have responded from Sydney, Australia. Whether that is of value only you would know Jenrick. I hope so.

Bob
jenrick

Post by jenrick »

Thanks all for the replies, please feel free to share the link to others who are air shooters. The more data the merrier.

-Jenrick
Mike Carter

Post by Mike Carter »

I have visited and shot on a commercial air gun range in Japan (Yokohama). This was in 1989, so PCP rifles were not in use at that time. The range had 15 points. 10 of them were for basically walk in customers. They sat at a bench with cheap spotting scopes and shot at 5 bull targets. The range supplied FWB300's that were pretty beat up. The target carrier was also a pellet trap and ran back and forth on a rail system mounted to the floor. The targets were approximately 1 meter off the floor. The floor was not visible as the proprietor had a false floor about 18" between the bottom of the target carrier, covered in green astro turf. It was basically a gallery range for the public.
However, 5 lanes were set aside for standing air rifle. He had a few Olympic level shooters practicing at his range.
I found the place by accident when I was staying in Japan for about 3 months.
When I showed up, I was handed my tin of pellets and a worn out air rifle and proceeded to the end of the range to shoot standing. The proprietor watched my sighting shots through his own spotting scope then quickly disappeared into the back where he promptly exchanged the original rifle with a brand new one.
I took a side trip to Seoul with the soul purpose of having a custom shooting suit made for me at Marksman House. When I returned to Japan with my new suit, he was very impressed and started and posting my targets on their bulletin board. To get a cheaper hourly rate I think I joined the Japanese version of the NRA and some other local organization. I had no idea what I signed. He just told me to sign here and hand him a 1000 Yen.
So in a land where private gun ownership is practically unheard of, he was doing a good business. Around that same time air soft replicas of some amazing american firearms were being made in Japan. It was very popular and I saw them for sale at many stores. They were using freon canisters as the propellant and the Kyoto Accords were about to change all the rules.
This was not an air soft range. Purely sabot .177 pellets.
jenrick

Post by jenrick »

Japan, as always has an interesting take on things. Well it's good to know that at least somewhere, someone has made this work commercially lol.

-Jenrick