training question

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

a10ken

training question

Post by a10ken »

hi folks, could someone direct me to any info on training for 10mtr pistol shooting, ie: things to do/things not to do, I have a rough idea but I would like to know all your variations. tips.
thanks
ken
David Levene

Re: training question

Post by David Levene »

Join a club and get some proper coaching.

Have you tried the NSRA Club Finder?

Kendal?
Wynne G Oldman

Post by Wynne G Oldman »

Morini 162 EI
Anschutz 1913 Supermatch
tinkertaylor

Post by tinkertaylor »

I agree with David on this.
That is exactly where you should look.

Let us know if it was helpful.
Finelld

Post by Finelld »

Nygord's Notes

http://www.australiancynic.com/NYGORD.htm

Don Nygord was a world class shooter who did a tremendous amount for the sport. He was and is very respected worldwide and on this forum. You can learn a tremendous amount from these.

Best Regards,

David Finell
Last edited by Finelld on Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a10ken

Post by a10ken »

hi guys, thanks for the reply's.
Dave. I am a member of a shooting club (Furness marksmen) and also section one holder, there are only a couple of us who have just started looking into 10mtr shooting, we have a rudimentary out door (cold and draughty and not the best lighting) 10mtr range set up. early days..

Finelld. thanks for the link, I have printed it of and that can be tonight's reading.
cheers again

p/s some links/sites cannot be accessed due to blocking hear (work computer)
hundert

Post by hundert »

the most important is to keep your shoulder and wrist in zero positions. It's a neutral position from which the hand and your arm don't want to wander off. It's easy to find the zero position of the wrist, much harder for the shoulder because here you need the whole body to work.

Most of the time, you need to modify the grip so that the barrel points more to the right, because your arm and shoulder is to the right of your eye, you see more of the left side of the arm and pistol in relaxed position, which means the front sight with a factory grip is always left of the rear sight. Add material in the back of the grip to offset it, or simply leave empty space, something like half of an inch.

Finding zero of the shoulder is hard. Try copying athletes who have the same body type as you. Small, bulky people seem to hunch up, raise the right shoulder, thin with long limbs seem to leave the shoulder down...

If your joints are not in the zero, it's pretty much impossible to shoot well, the sights will always wander off towards the zero which is not at the target, you will have to fight that, using muscles, the gun will wander around left and right, up and down, instead of dancing around the 10.

front sight width, pellets, guns are the least important topics