10m AP shooting in LA?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

wasatch

10m AP shooting in LA?

Post by wasatch »

Are there any clubs in the LA area that host 10m AP shooting?
I'm travelling to Torrance for work and would like to get in some shooting if possible.
I tried the USA Shooting find a club page but it didn't return any hits on ranges that support 10m AP.
Thanks!
Finelld

Re: 10m AP shooting in LA?

Post by Finelld »

I doubt that you will find any. For all intensive purposes, guns are illegal in California, especially delicate guns like precision Olympic guns. From what I remember when I did the research about 15 years ago one requirement was they required guns to be able to withstand drops from 20 feet onto concrete without going off. I do not know many people that are willing to subject their $2000 AP to that kind of abuse.

Best Regards,

David Finell
Rover

Post by Rover »

Try here: http://www.usashooting.org/library/Yout ... g_Club.pdf

I doubt you can train there, but they hold occasional matches anyone can enter. Give them a call. I think they do AP exclusively. They will be able to give you more info.
Chia

Post by Chia »

Finelld wrote:I doubt that you will find any. For all intensive purposes, guns are illegal in California, especially delicate guns like precision Olympic guns. From what I remember when I did the research about 15 years ago one requirement was they required guns to be able to withstand drops from 20 feet onto concrete without going off. I do not know many people that are willing to subject their $2000 AP to that kind of abuse.

Best Regards,

David Finell
Does California classify an air pistol as a firearm or does it classify it as something else? I briefly read some legislation from 2009, but I didn't have much time to really look it over.
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

Chia wrote:
Finelld wrote:I doubt that you will find any. For all intensive purposes, guns are illegal in California, especially delicate guns like precision Olympic guns. From what I remember when I did the research about 15 years ago one requirement was they required guns to be able to withstand drops from 20 feet onto concrete without going off. I do not know many people that are willing to subject their $2000 AP to that kind of abuse.

Best Regards,

David Finell
Does California classify an air pistol as a firearm or does it classify it as something else? I briefly read some legislation from 2009, but I didn't have much time to really look it over.
I live in Southern California and, to the best of my knowledge, AP are NOT classified as firearms. While we do have a rather short list of (powder) handguns that are legal to import and sell here, those rules don't pertain to air pistols. And +1 on Bridge Jr Shooting Club. It's in La Puente and Mr. In Kim trains junior athletes there.
ShootWithStyle

Post by ShootWithStyle »

Mr. Finell,

I too live in Southern California so please allow me to provide you with some information.

Air Pistols and Air Rifles are not considered firearms in California. You are correct that a drop test is required for pistols to be approved for sale in California, but Olympic Pistols (Free, Sport, Rapid) are specifically exempt from this requirement and exempt from classification as assault weapons.

If you go back and do more detailed research, you will see in the text of State Bill 23, enacted January 1, 2000 that there is a specific section dedicated to Olympic shooting and providing exemptions for the firearms used in our sport.

Mr. Kims club, as mentioned previously, caters for pistol shooting. They conduct 10m training at their facility in La Puente, and also conduct 25 meter pistol and 50m free pistol training at Prado Olympic Shooting Park.

I have trained several times at his 10m facility as I shoot 10m air rifle in addition to 50m smallbore rifle.

Thank you
J

Imagehost images
Finelld

Post by Finelld »

I am glad California has made some exceptions to their restrictions. It is still a very unfriendly state for gun enthusiasts. As I said in my post my information was very dated and I was still aware that it remains a very unfriendly state to shooting enthusiasts. That is why I won't live there.

Best Regards,

David Finell
hundert

Post by hundert »

You can visit South Los Angeles and enjoy your nightly rapid .45 fire events, brought to you by the Democratic Party.
And if you make it out alive, you'll spend the next 4 hours waiting for some LGBTP demo to disperse before you can move on. Sponsored by the Democratic Party.

Well, that was my experience. Thanks Obama and thank you, the Democratic Party.
wasatch

Post by wasatch »

Rover wrote:Try here: http://www.usashooting.org/library/Yout ... g_Club.pdf

I doubt you can train there, but they hold occasional matches anyone can enter. Give them a call. I think they do AP exclusively. They will be able to give you more info.
Thanks much!
Mr Kim replied to my email so we'll see what happens :-)
Chia

Post by Chia »

Glad this got sorted out. This kind of thing is why I stick to federal law when writing articles on firearms laws...sheesh!

And Mr. Finell, I'm with you. There are three states I won't ever practice law in, and California is #1 among them. Not just for firearms, but crazy legislation in general.
RyanA

Post by RyanA »

The Bridge club held a USA Shooting Regional Championship there in La Puente late last year, which included AP. For some reason this match was not advertised on USA Shooting's website until a few days before the match, even though it was a Regional Championship.

However, I found out about it sooner by checking http://www.califpistolmatches.com, so I would recommend checking there frequently for upcoming matches. Unfortunately, I was not able to participate in that event due to some difficulties confirming an open spot beforehand, which was disappointing since I was in town visiting Disneyland with my family the same weekend. I would recommend both calling, and emailing, for information regarding matches sponsored by this club. Good luck, and good shooting!
divingin

Post by divingin »

Chia wrote: Does California classify an air pistol as a firearm or does it classify it as something else?
Nope. Non-firearm. No restrictions (though there may be municipal restrictions that would include air guns, BB guns, etc.)

jky