Compressor specs for PCP filling

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Xman

Compressor specs for PCP filling

Post by Xman »

Am AGAIN considering taking the plunge into getting a PCP AP.

The driving force is that my boss wants me to get a air compressor of the business and well I just though that hmm well why dont I kill 2 birds with 1 pellet.

He is ok with one of the compressors on wheels so it can be mobile.

So can anyone in this forum tell me what the specs might be for a compressor system for filling PCP cylinders?

Wheeled or stationary is of no concern of mine. We will not need to fill monster truck tires. Just blow machinery out of debris and dust. I just want to fill AP cylinders.
GaryN

Re: Compressor specs for PCP filling

Post by GaryN »

For PCP/CA you need HIGH pressure air like 2,000psi.
The typical shop compressor is not likely to run over 100psi. I only need 45psi to fill the air in my car tires.
Finelld

Post by Finelld »

Most PCP APs have cylinders that go up to 200 bar or just under 3000 psi.

A compressor would need to be a multi-stage compressor with a good filtered output with a dryer to remove contaminants and moisture.

The compressor should be fitted with or have an adaptor to go to a DIN connector. This is common for filling PCP tanks.

Additionally, it should have a pressure regulator to ensure tanks are not overfilled. Overfilling tanks can be spectacular and spectacularly dangerous!!!.

A more common practice is to use the compressor to fill a larger transfer tank like a SCUBA tank and use that tank to fill the smaller PCP AP tanks. Ensure that if the transfer tank is filled beyond what the PCP AP tanks are rated for that a pressure regulator is installed between the transfer tank and the AP tank.

A compressor that meets these specs is going to set you back more than $1000,00 and probably closer to $2000-$8000. Airguns of Arizona has reasonably priced compressors but I don't know about their quality or reliability. This is just because I don't have any experience with them. I am not saying that they are bad or good.
GunShy

Post by GunShy »

I bought an F10 ShoeBox Compressor (Google) about two months ago. It works just as described on the website. And I bought a 150 ps.i. pancake compressor to act as the first stage of the 4,500 p.s.i. high compression air compressor. A low pressure compressor that can maintain 125 p.s.i. is needed. I use the ShoeBox to fill my steel scuba tank to 3,300 p.s.i. (230 BAR), and I use the tank to fill the cylinders of a Pardini K2S and a Morini CM162EI. I put a moisture trap on the pancake compressor and a moisture filter in the low pressure line (from pancake to F10) and replace it as needed (when the desiccant color changes even a little bit). When my wife saw what I had paid for the F10, she said: "A fool and his money are soon parted." I agreed. Anyone who is married knows why.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

Xman wrote:
Wheeled or stationary is of no concern of mine. We will not need to fill monster truck tires. Just blow machinery out of debris and dust. I just want to fill AP cylinders.
Two completely different volume and pressure ranges. Blowing out swarf needs 100 psi at high volume. You want breathing air at 5000 psi. Trying to kill an ostrich and a sparrow with the same pellet.
Xman

Post by Xman »

So what your all saying is that i need to consult with a scuba shop equipment supplier of the correct type/power/strength/filtered air it I wish to procure one for filling PCP cylinders.

My boss has pretty much left it up to me to decide to the type to get. I many elect to run air lines throughout the shop with connects in various locations to make the system more versatile to the company and help justify the additional expense.

Doing a ROI on something like this is still a question. Longevity, maintenance, parts, domestic or foreign sourcing.

Filtered air could be a good selling point..no oil or other contaminates. We do some electronic component assemblies and rather than buying cases and cases of canned air we can run a air line to the assembly points to auto blast as needed.

More suggestion will help get me moving this along. Boss has not given me a budget yet but he likes buying quality, versatile stuff with long range thinking.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I think what people were trying to tell you is don't bother.

The requirements of a Scuba compressor and a shop compressor are totally different.

I would guess that the cost of running Scuba pressure airlines throughout a shop would far outweigh the cost of buying a second, suitable, compressor. You would certainly need a regulator to reduce the pressure so that you don't blow your air tools to pieces.
Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote »

Xman wrote:Am AGAIN considering taking the plunge into getting a PCP AP.

The driving force is that my boss wants me to get a air compressor of the business and well I just though that hmm well why dont I kill 2 birds with 1 pellet.

He is ok with one of the compressors on wheels so it can be mobile.

So can anyone in this forum tell me what the specs might be for a compressor system for filling PCP cylinders?

Your boss needs a compressor that produces a max or 150 psi with around 10-15 cfm. Low pressure-high volume.

Your PCP needs a compressor that produces around 4500 psi with 0.5 cfm. High pressure-low volume.

Two different tools for two different jobs. Simply put, if I were your boss and you bought a compressor for filling your airgun you'd soon be seeking a new boss.
v76

Post by v76 »

Just get yourself a SCUBA tank and avoid the headaches of a compressor if it's only to fill a single airgun. Add a hand pump eventually to top up your cylinders.
zztop

Post by zztop »

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4500PSI ... b70c&tpp=1
or have a look at these. About the same price as a SCUBA tank, never runs out and always high pressure.
Cannot comment on use yet, but may buy in near future, waiting for price on replacement filters.
As a bonus your boss could get some refillable tanks for "blowoff"air and electronics work.