Air Chrony MK3

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

rmca

Air Chrony MK3

Post by rmca »

Looking for some user experience with this chronograph.
I'm also contemplating getting a "normal" chronograph instead, if it can measure airguns accurately.
Please share your experiences.

https://www.air-chrony.com/en/shooting- ... y-mk3.html
metman

Re: Air Chrony MK3

Post by metman »

I have used exclusively a Beta Chrony, which is pretty basic. It requires a bit more setup that some of the smaller units, and you have to do more of your own data entry and calculating, although I find that part of the fun. It's not something you should do unless you like it, I think.

Mostly I have chrony'd projectiles from my many "powder" guns. I have not compared results directly with another model of chronograph, but the values I have measured seem pretty reasonable. For example, they compare well with the commercial ammunition velocities published by manufacturers. I don't believe it is always the absolute values that are important, but how they compare.

For air gun, my teenage son did one of his school science projects with my beta chrony, measuring the different speeds of many pellets in different weights (5, 7, 8 grains) with his Pardini k10. The measured pellet speeds were quite consistent. The ratios of the average speeds when plotted agreed with what one would expect if one hypothesizes that they have all the same kinetic energy. the same amount of energy is delivered by the precisely metered compressed air of the modern competition air pistol. The speed goes down like the square root of the pellet weight.

So that's my experience with the beta chrony.