Help with anschutz 2007/2013 sight

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

spmtt

Help with anschutz 2007/2013 sight

Post by spmtt »

I have 2007/2013 that has anschutz sight (no model number). I need help operating it. There elevation adjustment is marked H-bei-T, and the windage adjustment is marked L & R. I know this sounds like a silly question but I was at the range today and could not get in dialed in after about 50 rounds. Ideally I would like to find an online manual for the sight (I found one for the rifle).

If I want the rifle to shoot higher witch way do I turn the elevation? I was shooting at 50ft (not meters) so is there a way to convert # of clicks to number of rings at 50ft? Also I need the same info for windage. Which way do I turn it to make it shoot to the right?
Last edited by spmtt on Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Albert

sight

Post by Albert »

looking om the knobs you see "Bei L" or Bei R" - this means:
"If L(eft)" or "If "Right". If the shot hits on the left, turn the knob in the direction of "Bei L " (counterclockwise)
If the shot hits on the right, turn the knob in the direction of "Bei R " (clockwise)
The same goes for up and down. "Bei H" means "If High"and "Bei T"means "If Low". If the shot hits high, turn the knob in the direction of "Bei H " (clockwise)
On the ISSF 50m target use 5 clicks for 1 ringwith displacement.

Albert
(The Netherlands)
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

I have to admit, the English/American systems makes MUCH more sense. The knobs are marked in the direction you turn to correct the impact.

UP: turn this way to move bullet impact up.
LEFT: turn this way to move impact left.

The German system is counterintuitive.
wrc

Old coach has heard this complaint for ages!

Post by wrc »

The German system is such that you don't have to remember the "proverb": "Move the rear sight in the direction you want the shots on the paper to move". All you have to do is know which way the shots are landing: "with left shots" ie: bei links (left) and crank away on the sight knobs. Those efficient Germans have built the sight adjustment rule right into the labels on the knobs. :^)

And, NO, the sights are not "backward" - watch the carriers move, and you see that the screw movement & carrier movement are as you would expect! (right hand rule)

Post by Guest »

If after FIFTY rounds, you can't figure out where the shots are going when you dial the sight knobs, then you better go back to square one and learn how to shoot groups. Sounds like you were just chasing your shot holes around without thinking.
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Who even cares how the knobs are marked? They turn the same way as American sights - Counterclockwise up and right.
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

The German system seems counter-intuitive only if it is different from the system one is originally introduced to. The Amercian system is probably counter-intuitive to Germans.

In any event, the first thing I do as an American using several different type of sights, is to turn the adjustments a bunch and see which way they move the sight. You can actually just watch the sight and tell - you don't have to shoot it. Then I place a small white label on the sight and draw a diagram that make sense to me.

It does no good to be in a match trying to figure out which way is which (and maybe which gun I'm using today) based on the original writings. If there's any possibility of confusion, I just add a label.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
http://www.airforceshooting.org/
http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/
Albert

Post by Albert »

If things get really confusing, you can use something lijke this:
Attachments
dscn0410_std.jpg
dscn0410_std.jpg (34.36 KiB) Viewed 6821 times
Jose Rossy

Re: Old coach has heard this complaint for ages!

Post by Jose Rossy »

wrc wrote:The German system is such that you don't have to remember the "proverb": "Move the rear sight in the direction you want the shots on the paper to move". All you have to do is know which way the shots are landing: "with left shots" ie: bei links (left) and crank away on the sight knobs. Those efficient Germans have built the sight adjustment rule right into the labels on the knobs. :^)

And, NO, the sights are not "backward" - watch the carriers move, and you see that the screw movement & carrier movement are as you would expect! (right hand rule)
One does not need to remember to "move the rear sight in the direction you want the shots on the paper to move" because the sight tells you what to do. If you want the shots to move "up" on the paper, you turn the sight in the direction marked "up" on the sight, etc. Pretty simple, if you ask me.

The German system is not as difficult as it first appears once one understands the concept, but it is still opposite of how American sights and scopes are marked.

As far as I am concerened, European sights move backwards. My Anschutz sight's elevation knob has to be turned CCW to make the shots go up on the target, which is most definitely backwards from the sights on my M1 and AR15, as well as the PNW sight on my Model 70 (in which the elevation knob is turned CW to move the shots up).
Al Dart

Post by Al Dart »

The mantra I have always taught is "Up and Right are Counterclockwise". As a training aid, get a large bolt and nut. Grasp the nut such that the bolt is either vertical or horizontal with the head of the bolt up or to the right. Turn the bolt clockwise and one will see it will move down or left and visa versa for counterclockwise. The Anschutz sights are no different. Thank goodness that they had the forethought to use Western Hemisphere thread directions when the designed these sights. Never figured out why our military sights were the opposite.

Al
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

Albert wrote:If things get really confusing, you can use something lijke this:
Or you can buy a notebook! ;^)
Durkee Atwood

Re:

Post by Durkee Atwood »

Guest wrote:If after FIFTY rounds, you can't figure out where the shots are going when you dial the sight knobs, then you better go back to square one and learn how to shoot groups. Sounds like you were just chasing your shot holes around without thinking.
This is a forum for target shooters not snipers. Your remark is unwelcomed, unnecessary and rude. Was it the word "knob" that made you think of making that comment?
Tim S

Re: Re:

Post by Tim S »

Durkee Atwood wrote:This is a forum for target shooters not snipers. Your remark is unwelcomed, unnecessary and rude. Was it the word "knob" that made you think of making that comment?
I think after twelve years, the insult has been forgotten.
Hap Rocketto

Re: Help with anschutz 2007/2013 sight

Post by Hap Rocketto »

SPMTT,

If you are right handed just point your thumb in the direction you want the shots to go and turn the sight knob in the direction your fingers curl.

As you gain more experience it will become instinctive.

Best,

Hap
jerber

Post by jerber »

I think the best thing to do is to RTFM!
methosb

Re:

Post by methosb »

Al Dart wrote:The mantra I have always taught is "Up and Right are Counterclockwise". As a training aid, get a large bolt and nut. Grasp the nut such that the bolt is either vertical or horizontal with the head of the bolt up or to the right. Turn the bolt clockwise and one will see it will move down or left and visa versa for counterclockwise. The Anschutz sights are no different. Thank goodness that they had the forethought to use Western Hemisphere thread directions when the designed these sights. Never figured out why our military sights were the opposite.

Al
This is how I always remember it, if you turn a screw in a vertical position counterclockwise it will go up, clockwise down. If you turn a screw on its side counterclockwise it goes right, clockwise goes left. The shots go in the same direction.
ZD

Post by ZD »

I have a different method I use with my shooters who have trouble remembering which direction the sight knobs go. If you treat the sight knobs like a peanut butter jar (or any jar for that matter), you can remember which way the sights go. For example, if I want to move my sights up, I would be "unscrewing the peanut butter jar" or moving the knob counterclockwise. I visualize the same thing for right to left, I just imagine putting the jar on it's side. Kind of a different way of remembering it, but it works for some. We call it the right hand thread rule.

-Zach
shawn706

Post by shawn706 »

Up the (T)ree, down the (H)ill.