The proper oil for different types of airguns

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Houngan

Re: The proper oil for different types of airguns

Post by Houngan »

I have a tube of silicone grease, I'm wondering if it is appropriate for use on an LP10. The contents are silicone dioxide and dimethylpolysiloxane.
SPPcoach

Post by SPPcoach »

Houngan wrote:I have a tube of silicone grease, I'm wondering if it is appropriate for use on an LP10. The contents are silicone dioxide and dimethylpolysiloxane.
I would like to get the MSDS sheets for these products that are factory recommended. That would help us become better educated consumers. Walther does not even try to identify their "special grease." I suspect that many of us have the appropriate lubricants laying around in our garage or workshop but there is the paranoia that "I might ruin my $2,500 air gun" with the wrong product so we pay exorbitant prices and add shipping costs and dismiss the expense as insurance on our investment. For many people with one airgun it really is an insignificant amount of money in the long run. On the other hand when you are trying to keep a team / youth program well equipped and you have >20 air rifles and >30 air pistols; SSP's, gas rams, PCP, multi-pumps and springers the opportunity for error and unnecessary expenses is excessive.
wasatch

Post by wasatch »

I've had great experience lubing my springers (TX200 & LGV) with DuPont Krytox GPL-205 grease.
Spring, piston seal and rings.
In addition to being very slippery it is basically inert and will not diesel.
Don't need to use much either unlike spring tar.
The Gateway to Airguns springer sub forums have a good bit of info about it.

I also made a piston liner for my LGV out of 0.015" PTFE sheet that eliminated what little vibration there was.
Houngan

Post by Houngan »

wasatch wrote:I've had great experience lubing my springers (TX200 & LGV) with DuPont Krytox GPL-205 grease.

I also made a piston liner for my LGV out of 0.015" PTFE sheet that eliminated what little vibration there was.
. . . and it's $20 an ounce! I'm sure it's great, but I just want to know if my regular old silicone grease would be a problem.
wasatch

Post by wasatch »

Houngan wrote:
wasatch wrote:I've had great experience lubing my springers (TX200 & LGV) with DuPont Krytox GPL-205 grease.

. . . and it's $20 an ounce! I'm sure it's great, but I just want to know if my regular old silicone grease would be a problem.
Oh, silicone is usually best for just o-rings. Not sure about the ingredients you mentioned tho.

Krytox is great, a NASA rocket science type product! Krytox works well for seals too but yeah, its somewhat expensive. Ultimox is a cheaper version that iirc leaves out corrosion inhibitors but is otherwise the same as Krytox. It may be expensive but it works really well in springers, does not diesel at all, thermally stable and only a little bit is needed.

I've gotten performance boosts of around 15 fps with decreased spread in both my TX and LGV after krytox lube job.
Finelld

Post by Finelld »

On my airguns, I use Beeman Compound No. 5 for general lube and rust prevention. It is a polarized oil. On my regular firearms, I use Tufoil. It holds the Guinness book of world records for the slickest lubricant and has been used by the aerospace industry. It is also rather sticky stuff. I, of course, use silicone oils and greases for seals.

I recently purchased a Hammerli 480K2 and actually read its manual. I found one thing it said rather interesting, and a bit humorous on this subject. It read "The O-ring on the connection piece must be lubricated regularly with special grease (e.g. vaseline)." This was in reference to the cylinder fill connection. It looks like we can get all the special grease we need very conveniently and inexpensively at the local drug store.
SPPcoach

Post by SPPcoach »

Finelld wrote: "The O-ring on the connection piece must be lubricated regularly with special grease (e.g. vaseline)." This was in reference to the cylinder fill connection. It looks like we can get all the special grease we need very conveniently and inexpensively at the local drug store.
Interesting.