Lighting Requirements

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

SamEEE

Re: Lighting Requirements

Post by SamEEE »

1000 lux is about the standard for a well lit tv studio - no coincidence as the rules are designed around a televised event. A couple of 500W halogen spots (worklights) might get you somewhere close.

David Levene wrote: Have you looked at the rules as already suggest by two other posters?

Preach it, the rules are pretty clear. Sydney is about the best range I have shot on for Air Pistol lighting conditions.
Home club is a bit spotty on the target end and could use a bit more flood. It also has no lights between the shooting bay and the targets whereis it should be that the lumious flux should be consistant across the range. It meets about half that spec of 1000 lumens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRHL04OE6vw
Image Image
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

SamEEE wrote:...Sydney is about the best range I have shot on for Air Pistol lighting conditions...
But it's not perfect.
The !@#$% gooseneck target lights give an uneven distribution of light; brighter at the top than at the bottom of the target.

The architect and the contractors had an interesting interpretation of 'indoor' for 10m; it is indeed 'indoor' (as in not exposed to wind and rain), but the area above the spectators has a translucent roofing - when clouds pass overhead the light levels at the firing line change dramatically.
rmca

Post by rmca »

For all of those who didn't bother to read the rules...

6.4.14 Indoor Range Light Requirements (Lux)

Type of General Lighting Target Lighting
IndoorRange Recommended Minimum Recommended Minimum Recommended

10m 500 1500 > 1800
10m RT 500 1000 > 1000
25m 500 1500 > 2500
50m 500 1500 > 3000

Finals Ranges must have a minimum general lighting of 500 lux and
minimum of 1000 lux on the firing line. For new ranges lighting of
about 1500 lux on the firing line is recommended.

6.4.14.1 All indoor ranges must have artificial illumination providing the
necessary amount of light without glare or distracting shadows on
the targets or firing points. The background area behind the targets
must be a non-reflecting, light even neutral color.

6.4.14.2 Measuring target illumination on targets with external lighting must
be done with the measuring device held at the level of the target
and pointed toward the firing point (A). Measuring target
illumination on targets with internal lighting must be done by
measuring reflected light from the target face.

6.4.14.3 Measuring general range illumination must be done with the
measuring device held at the firing point (B1) and midway between
the firing point and the target line (B2) with the device directed
toward the ceiling illumination.
1.JPG
1.JPG (45.35 KiB) Viewed 596 times
ihasagun

Post by ihasagun »

David Levene wrote:
ihasagun wrote:
TenMetrePeter wrote:you need a lux meter app not light meter app. The one I found needs calibrating against a real lux meter for accuracy but gives a reasonable reading of lux uncalibrated.
I got a couple of those, and with the light strip I bought, the lux reading reflecting off the target is still only about 150 lux. But if I hold the camera near the target and point it at the light source, it's more like 85 thousand lux. So which reading is the correct one to use? The target looks plenty bright. It's hard for me to believe it's not bright enough for competition standards.
Have you looked at the rules as already suggest by two other posters?

Rule 6.4.14.2
Measuring target illumination on targets with external lighting must be done with the measuring device held at the level of the target and pointed toward the firing point (A). Measuring target illumination on targets with internal lighting must be done by measuring reflected light from the target face.
Wow. So I guess I need to buy a few more if those light strips and aggregate them.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

ihasagun wrote:Wow. So I guess I need to buy a few more if those light strips and aggregate them.
You are probably right. Most people dramatically over-estimate the light levels they have.

Before you do that though, are you using a proper lux meter or an ap on a phone/tablet. If the latter then have you calibrated it against a proper lux meter?
ihasagun

Post by ihasagun »

David Levene wrote:
ihasagun wrote:Wow. So I guess I need to buy a few more if those light strips and aggregate them.
You are probably right. Most people dramatically over-estimate the light levels they have.

Before you do that though, are you using a proper lux meter or an ap on a phone/tablet. If the latter then have you calibrated it against a proper lux meter?
Phone app and no. Maybe I just need to buy a proper lux meter.