Trying to find posts

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Xman

Trying to find posts

Post by Xman »

Am trying to find posts that have info/opinions on the stick on bifocals and cant seem to find them via a search.

Have tried various wordings, phrases, etc. I know they are there, I have seen them before but now I cant find them.

Any clues?
Rover

Re: Trying to find posts

Post by Rover »

I can't tell you what to look for but as I recall, opinions were definitely "anti". That is my own opinion as well.
Xman

Post by Xman »

Rover wrote:I can't tell you what to look for but as I recall, opinions were definitely "anti". That is my own opinion as well.
I have used them before in my regular glasses when I was transitioning to bifocals and they worked so well I bought the company!!!..Kidding

They did so well that I delayed getting true bifocals quite a while. Clear, no spots or bubbles or wavey lines. The only thing that happened is they slightly discolored and got a little stiffer over time. I guess via exposure (sun and outdoors) and cleaning.

I am thinking of trying them on an older pair of glasses (non bifocal) and use them ONLY for shooting. So the exposure would be limited. The distance vision is only slightly off from my current Rx, I may have to bump up the strength one notch to compensate.

I would also use them for outdoor bullseye as the using of true shooting glasses like Knoblochs outdoors and taking them off and putting on regular glasses, going down to change targets, coming back, putting the Knoblochs back on, loading mags, adjusting the spotting scope if needed is one less thing to do on the firing line for bullseye.

And I think I rather have a fuller field of vision with regular type glasses that what the single lens types provide.

They like to hustle on the firing line in Bulleye most of the time too.

If the stick on works good I would get some regular glasses and have the shooting eye bifocal placed in the middle of the lens for both AP and Bullseye.
Rover

Post by Rover »

The only time you need "regular" glasses is when you're using a Red Dot. Iron sights require a scrip that brings the eye focus to the front sight. This is not something normally found in glasses, but is akin to reading glasses.

What I recommend is your "regular" scrip, which will correct other problems such as astigmatism plus a correction (+0.50?) to bring your focus to the front sight. Trying to make do with gadgets and/or bifocals of one type or another just won't do the job.

Locally, I can buy such glasses for $29, but I really recommend specialized shooting glasses such as Champion.
Xman

Post by Xman »

I think your misunderstood Rover.

Right now my regular glasses have a bifocal for reading in the lower center of the lens. I am going to try to use a stick on nearer the center portion of my current glasses so I have a better head and eye position and sharp front sight focus. If that works I will use my older non bifocal glasses and add the stick on in maybe the next strength as the distance correction is just a little less than my current ones.

I will get an assortment of the reading glasses and perch them in front both eyeglasses to get an idea of suitable stick on to get to have the right focus.

The stick on strength Rx are the equivalent to reading glasses Rx as they are also marketed to use as stick on readers on non Rx sunglasses.

My current glasses and the older glasses already have close Rx's for distance vision.

Using Knoblochs (Champions are way too pricey) or others are a last resort. But I am pretty certain the route I am exploring should work.

Just wanted to find the thread to review.

Your input as always is great appreciated. (Well at least by me)

I got out the Izzy, counted targets, inventoried pellets, buying new duct seal tomorrow as a backstop in my target box and am planning on shooting 3 60 shot courses a week. Gonna need more targets and pellets soon.

Next shoulder to shoulder match in Dallas is late January....550 or bust!

Oh and bought some ear plugs for the cats...hmmm maybe they would rather have muffs.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

So you can use Google functions in useful ways here. In a Google search you can apply operators such as...

Code: Select all

site:targettalk.org "bifocal" 

You can also add Boolean operators such as AND or OR to become more specific. In my experience it is probably best to start a little more on the less specific side and then start to narrow your terms as you learn more of the key search phrases. At that point you'll be too close for missiles, and you'll have to switch to guns.
Guide here: https://support.google.com/websearch/an ... 6433?hl=en

Another idea is that you can use wildcards to find plural forms of words by adding * in place of potential letters in a word.

Code: Select all

site:targettalk.org bifocal* AND 'why it burns when i pee'

Which will search for bifocal and bifocals. Ignore the pee part, that's unrelated.

Good for finding older topics. Just remember to treat sources found online with a healthy degree of scepticism, and experts write books.
Image Image
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Is this the thread?

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php ... rogressive

It started with a question about varifocal lenses, so wouldn't come up on a search for bifocal.