Advise on Shooting glasses.

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Rhysatkins

Advise on Shooting glasses.

Post by Rhysatkins »

I have recently just got some prescription glasses due to astigmatism in my right eye. I have since bought a second hand pair of Varga Glasses so my guess is now what do i do?

Obviously I need to go back to my opticians with my glasses and get the same prescription in my right eye, but is there anything that i need to look out for? or do i just hand over the lens holder and say what i need in it?

Sorry for being a bit clueless.
David Levene

Re: Advise on Shooting glasses.

Post by David Levene »

Firstly, even if the correction is just for astigmatism you probably don't want the same prescription.

If you're shooting pistol then, on top of the distance correction of your normal glasses, you will probably want approximately +0.5 dioptre if you're up to 40-45 years old, and +0.75 dioptre if you're older.

I can't remember what the figures are for rifle.

Depending on how serious/competitive you are, you might benefit from seeing an optician who is experienced with shooters.

I would suggest you ask on the Stirton forum for contact details.
Silvershooter

Re: Advise on Shooting glasses.

Post by Silvershooter »

I had two shooting lens made for me at Specsavers from my distance prescription as David Levene states, one at +.50 and one at +.75 (both for pistol).
You will need to take in the lens holder for accurate fit and tell them the 12.00 clock position (where the stem joins the circular holder), with the clamp screw to the right when on the frame.
Non reflective glass is a good idea.