Tokyo 2020: ISSF Ad-Hoc Committee releases Shooting program

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

brucef

Tokyo 2020: ISSF Ad-Hoc Committee releases Shooting program

Post by brucef »

Just released on the ISSF web site.

http://www.issf-sports.org/news.ashx?newsid=2713

After concluding an exhaustive evaluation process, the ISSF Ad-Hoc Committee recommends replacing the Double Trap Men event with a Trap Mixed Gender Team event, the 50m Rifle Prone Men event with a 10m Air Rifle Mixed Gender Team event and the 50m Pistol Men event with a 10m Air Pistol Mixed Gender Team event. The path to this recommendation involved many difficult, emotional and courageous decisions by coaches, athletes, members of all Section Committees, ISSF leaders and many persons in the shooting community, who tried to act in the best interests of future generations in our sport while emphasizing the priority of keeping Shooting in the Olympic Games.

Anybody want to buy a used 50m pistol ??????

Sorry, just a bit too stunned to comment.
Thanks
SlartyBartFast

Re: Tokyo 2020: ISSF Ad-Hoc Committee releases Shooting prog

Post by SlartyBartFast »

brucef wrote:Just released on the ISSF web site.

http://www.issf-sports.org/news.ashx?newsid=2713

After concluding an exhaustive evaluation process, the ISSF Ad-Hoc Committee recommends replacing the Double Trap Men event with a Trap Mixed Gender Team event, the 50m Rifle Prone Men event with a 10m Air Rifle Mixed Gender Team event and the 50m Pistol Men event with a 10m Air Pistol Mixed Gender Team event. The path to this recommendation involved many difficult, emotional and courageous decisions by coaches, athletes, members of all Section Committees, ISSF leaders and many persons in the shooting community, who tried to act in the best interests of future generations in our sport while emphasizing the priority of keeping Shooting in the Olympic Games.

Anybody want to buy a used 50m pistol ??????

Sorry, just a bit too stunned to comment.
Thanks
Me!

Can't say I'll ever make it to regional level competitions. And ISSF World championships are still around if by some miracle I'm hiding an undiscovered talent.

My biggest concern would not be the loss of Olympic medal possibilities, but that the opportunity of creating world class facilities might lose the 50m range entirely. Seeing as 50m 3p rifle is still to be an Olympic event at least facilities might be built that will be good for Olympic games and ISSF competitions.

The true loss IMO is that shooting might be one of the few sports where men and women could compete on equal footing and the concentration is on separate events unless in teams. Way back in '76 the seven events were open to men and women. But participation was WAY lopsided. 393 men and 4 women. But a woman did win silver in 3p.

Mind you the legacy of the '76 games was limited as only the trap ranges remain. Seems pistol and rifle facilities were temporary.
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Club+D ... 59!6m1!1e1

If I understand correctly that was the year the 300m range disappeared.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
renzo

Post by renzo »

Bart, AFIK the last OG to host 300 meter shooting was München 1972.

And gender equlity is only the namebearer for the real threat: shooting is not considered TV-attractive, in spite of all the travesties Mr. Vazquez Raña and his colleagues have introduced to the finals format.

Look at swimming (and bear in mind I´m a former competitive swimmer) it´s just ridiculous the quantity of events and athletes they are awarded, excepto for the fact that people WATCHES SWIMMING!! So you´ll apt to find (in a few yoears down the road) a 38,7 meters doggie-style event, while we lose some other shooting specialties. Also check that athletics (the other OG audience star) starts exactly AFTER the swimmng is done..........................

I´m saddened by the news, having a 30 year career as FP shooter behind me, the most traditional OG match dropped from the programme, but the writing ws clearly on the wall years ago that wathever the COI dictated (as pressed by the sponsors) the ISSF would do.
brucef

Post by brucef »

Maybe the idea is to get all shooting into a format that can use a left over basketball stadium and they can fill in 10 minutes between skateboarding finals or do something for the crowd to watch while the judges deliberate on the final scores of the mixed flower arranging.
renzo

Post by renzo »

Don´t discard the introduction - instead of the ever more complicated finals format - of some sort of talent exhibition, as they do at beauty pageants!!!
v76

Post by v76 »

The ISSF reached new lows.
hurt

Post by hurt »

No 50 meter pistol...what a total bummer!!!
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

I suppose I would be unpopular if I said "Yay! more air gun events!"
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

SMDH
David M

Post by David M »

Read a bit further...
"Until we have a final decision by the IOC on the 2020 Olympic Program, the ISSF intends to keep all current events in the 2017 ISSF World Cup Series program, and to also conduct the proposed Mixed Gender Team events starting with the first 2017 ISSF World Cup Stage, in New Delhi, India. The events being replaced will continue to be conducted in all ISSF World Championships. "

After the IOC's program is announced it appears to mean that Free Pistol is also dropped from World Cup's.
This will put it in the same catagory as Standard and Centrefire, shot only at World Champs every 4 years.
No wonder ISSF shooting is dying......
Chia

Post by Chia »

David M wrote:Read a bit further...
"Until we have a final decision by the IOC on the 2020 Olympic Program, the ISSF intends to keep all current events in the 2017 ISSF World Cup Series program, and to also conduct the proposed Mixed Gender Team events starting with the first 2017 ISSF World Cup Stage, in New Delhi, India. The events being replaced will continue to be conducted in all ISSF World Championships. "

After the IOC's program is announced it appears to mean that Free Pistol is also dropped from World Cup's.
This will put it in the same catagory as Standard and Centrefire, shot only at World Champs every 4 years.
No wonder ISSF shooting is dying......
Think Air Pistol is going to go anywhere? Should I start stocking up bullseye supplies instead?
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

The ISSF is not -and never was- a true federation, as they rule from the top. Oligarchio Vasquez and his friends look out for the benefits provided by Olympic exposure, while the IOC is itself no longer about sport. As noted by others, the changes in the finals formats and the equipment rules are a burden to entering the sport for individuals as well as for countries with underfunded committees. The athletes are the least concern for these people; they are nothing more than free labor for an obscenely huge commercial enterprise.
j-team

Post by j-team »

So, once its confirmed that 50m pistol will the be dropped from the Olympics, can we go back to calling it free pistol and award the gold medal to the shooter who shoots the best 60 shot match (ie no final)?
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

ISSF Ad-Hoc Committee

Anyone know who these people are, and any source of minutes of these meetings? ISSF scores very low on transparency (old boys club), so I am rather suspicious about their "exhaustive evaluation process".

Some irony, it is pretty hard to find genuine equality when you do not have representative democracy operating within the framework of the sport.
Image Image
hundert

Post by hundert »

yes, it's as exhaustive as killing the rapid fire in 2005
the ISSF is basically run by retards and has always been
TenMetrePeter wrote:I suppose I would be unpopular if I said "Yay! more air gun events!"
I found mixed air pistol very HARD and uninteresting to watch (there are European Championship vids on youtube you can watch, it felt slow and boring).
The 50m Olympics this year on the other hand was AMAZING to watch, the best Oylmpics final ever, the 25m women was nice too, even though it was filmed by a complete retard of a video crew
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

TenMetrePeter wrote:I suppose I would be unpopular if I said "Yay! more air gun events!"
Not unpopular, but realistic.
50m events (all of them) will be gone soon. (If ISSF "leadership" does not drastically change)
Then soon after that, all 10m shooting will be gone. The only shooting events that are really TV worthy if you are honest are the SG events ... but the ISSF "ad-hocs" will probably screw that up too.
Chia

Post by Chia »

jhmartin wrote: Not unpopular, but realistic.
50m events (all of them) will be gone soon. (If ISSF "leadership" does not drastically change)
Then soon after that, all 10m shooting will be gone. The only shooting events that are really TV worthy if you are honest are the SG events ... but the ISSF "ad-hocs" will probably screw that up too.
Are you saying this in regards to USA Shooting or in regards to ISSF? Because last I checked, something like 2 million people from Germany tuned into the air pistol 10m final. My biggest concern is USA Shooting removing air pistol from their list. Any thoughts on that?
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Chia wrote:Are you saying this in regards to USA Shooting or in regards to ISSF? Because last I checked, something like 2 million people from Germany tuned into the air pistol 10m final. My biggest concern is USA Shooting removing air pistol from their list. Any thoughts on that?
USA Shooting follows ISSF ....
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Always remember that ISSF doesn't call the shots, the IOC does. And the IOC is strongly influenced by NBC Sports and that television contract.
Xman

Post by Xman »

Just another xman rant...

Well the writing is surely on the wall now in marker rather than chalk.

I predict that 2020 will be the last SOG with SB and AP and AR. Only SG will remain on a very thin thread.

Unless a VERY aggressive campaign of publicity, marketing and better/more spectator viewing in the US by ISSF and USAS are done during other events (WC, US college and other major world shooting/sports events) leading up to 2020 and during the SOG, it is done. And all that is very unlikely to happen.

Permitting clapping/cheering is NOT going to do it.
Playing music during finals is NOT going to do it. (How ludicrous!)

Yes the IOC pays a lot of attention to NBC and the broadcast rights and that sadly runs smack dab in the middle of the "gun image problem in America issue" As bogus as it is.. My sincere apologies to the rest of the world.

If NBC is not interested because the $$$, the viewership and its own agenda, even if a massive earthquake of interest develops, it may/will not help.

The US market drives the whole kit and caboodle. We cant escape that. Europe, Asia, Middle East, Russian Federation, Oceania, Africa, South America and Canada are on their own in this. Your going to have to continue your effort to get your own broadcast rights from NBC or other sources in 2020 and hopefully thereafter with what may remain of shooting events.

All I really saw and read in the mainstream media in the most recent SOGs were Matt Emmons and his touch off and his crossfire, Kim Rhodes and her repeat performances with medals and Ginny Thrasher. Only because Ginny was an American, won the first medal of the games (AR has been traditional the first event to award medals) so that fills air time for NBC as nothing else is final yet, so they kinda have to say something about. If the winner was NOT an American it would have gotten maybe 10 seconds at most. Added that she is an attractive blonde, college freshman/sophomore, teenager only adds to NBCs interview for ratings as it was heavily promoted that it was mightily successful. Other media (non US mostly) was looking for her but they had to wait of course. I was just glad that she is a college student that could put more than 2 sentences together without .."umm" and "like" every 5th word.

Never mind that she was on the NCAA Championship team, won 1st in AR and SBR and there by won a quadruple of shooting and would go to try for the quintuple in the SBR event at the SOG. The US was never told this as I recall by NBC...ever!

The shooting events not including SG just do not relate/translate the the US market, especially hunters, plinkers and the weekend warriors and their kids.

Odd looking shooting contraptions that look like they are out of a Star Wars movie. Rifle, AR, AP and P included with certain and rare exceptions.

Wearing more leather (usually) than in a lot of certain types of bars.

Shooting on electronic targets? WTF are they, the US market says. Paper works fine for me.

Shooting at bullseyes and just standing there? How boring! We need action, movement, fast shooting, loud bangs, human silhouettes that are the bad guys, magazine changes, fast, fast fast stuff..against the clock, running around. Black rifles. Just like the movies! Wearing gear I can buy and use every weekend if I want. Yeah thats the ticket.

So adios to SOG shooting, we will miss you.

Just another xman rant.