Old Anschutz sight

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Buck

Old Anschutz sight

Post by Buck »

Hello everyone

I recently bought an old Anschutz iron sight set for approx 30 euro (+-33USD).
Now was i wondering if it is possible to know which model it is, it hasn't any numbers on it, only the brand name. (see pictures).
Is there anything that i can do to compensate potential wear and tear on the adjusting mechanism, or isn't that really an issue with these things?

Thanks in advance
Buck
Attachments
diopter.jpg
diopter.jpg (49.28 KiB) Viewed 665 times
diopter2.jpg
diopter2.jpg (12.54 KiB) Viewed 665 times
Tim S

Re: Old Anschutz sight

Post by Tim S »

Buck,

The answer is easy, you have a 6702 International rearsight and a standard pre-1987 18mm foresight tunnel. The rearsight was the standard for most Match 54 rifle from at least the early 1960s, up to the late 1980s when it was superceded by the nearly identical 6802. I'd say yours was mae in the 1970s or early '80s. You can see a small hole on the side of the windage turret. This was for a pin that gave a quick reference for your wind zero, and made clickibg easier. The pin wasn't fitted in the '60s, and was dropped in the '80s. Clicks are nominally 1/6 minute. There are screws on the frame, near the elevation turret that can be tightened to reduce slop, but I'd want to check this is actually needed first. The threads may need a good clean to remove dirt and dried oil.

The foresight takes standard M18 elements, metal, perspex, and iris type. The 18 refers to the thread diameter on the thumb screw clamp, the actual inserts are a touch smaller. The base is shaped to fit Anschutz barrels with a dovetail block on the barrel, not the machined-in 11mm dovetail found on current 19xx, 20xx, and 54.30 guns.

At €30 you got a very good bargain.
Buck

Post by Buck »

Tim, thank you very much for your comprehensive answer, much appreciated.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

even ones that age normally go for well over 100 for rear only in Europe.