ISSF Rules

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Chia

Re: ISSF Rules

Post by Chia »

Don't forget the customized magnets on your white boards sponsored by your friendly neighborhood ammo producer...
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Chia wrote:Don't forget the customized magnets on your white boards sponsored by your friendly neighborhood ammo producer...
OH HECK YEAH! What a way to get around the sponsor marking rules. Do that & bring a vivizula and you'll for sure get yourself on TV.
Maybe dress up, like in NFL games, like an Eley or Lapua bullet ... shave your head & paint it silver and hold up your "coaching board".

Yup, they were into the hard stuff.
It's an easy fix ... and they will......
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

AND .... why the restrictions on the commo devices on the line still???
If non-verbal coaching is allowed ... and they don't want some idiot to disturb all the shooters on the line, what better way than to have a silent chat window open on their cellphones?

Peon, idiot me, just does not understand all this.
Chia

Post by Chia »

jhmartin wrote:AND .... why the restrictions on the commo devices on the line still???
If non-verbal coaching is allowed ... and they don't want some idiot to disturb all the shooters on the line, what better way than to have a silent chat window open on their cellphones?

Peon, idiot me, just does not understand all this.
Oh, that's easy. Phone Carriers don't have their logos in a text box on the cell phone, and it'd be too hard for the audience to see.

Also, phone carriers aren't "appropriate" sponsors for the ISSF (unless they pay enough money to boot everyone else out)...now the IOC...well maybe you'll have your cell phones after all.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

OK ... Tablets.

Where we're heading:
http://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/2 ... sport.html

All we gotta be is slightly more exciting than fishing ....
Reminds me of the joke about two guys running from the bear.
Misny

Post by Misny »

Just how many thousands of pages are the ISSF rules? It must be a ponderous document.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

TenMetrePeter wrote:not that many. 496 pages

http://www.issf-sports.org/theissf/rules.ashx
And considering that's all the ISSF disciplines, not bad at all.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
IPshooter

Pistol sights

Post by IPshooter »

David Levene wrote:A summary of the changes in the 2017 rules is now on the ISSF web site.
Hi David,

Regarding this rule:
Pistol Sights.  Fiber optic and reflecting color sights are prohibited.
What is your opinion about whether or not this prohibits simply painting or adding colored dots to the black sights on a pistol?

I suppose my concern is this perplexing part - "reflecting color sights". Since black is the complete absorption of light and the appearance of any color is the reflection of a part of the spectrum, then any seen color is a reflection of that part of the spectrum. Are they outlawing anything but black sights?

TIA

Stan
David Levene

Re: Pistol sights

Post by David Levene »

IPshooter wrote:Hi David,

Regarding this rule:
What is your opinion about whether or not this prohibits simply painting or adding colored dots to the black sights on a pistol?

I suppose my concern is this perplexing part - "reflecting color sights". Since black is the complete absorption of light and the appearance of any color is the reflection of a part of the spectrum, then any seen color is a reflection of that part of the spectrum. Are they outlawing anything but black sights?
Hi Stan

My first answer would be to wait for the actual rules but, as "Fiber optic or any reflecting Colors" appeared in the Equipment Control Guide effective 01/01/2016 I doubt whether we will learn much more.

We have to look at the intention of the rule and, whilst I may later be convinced otherwise, it does look like "sights are black".
Xman

Post by Xman »

David Levene wrote:
IPshooter wrote:Hi David,

Regarding this rule:

Hi Stan

My first answer would be to wait for the actual rules but, as "Fiber optic or any reflecting Colors" appeared in the Equipment Control Guide effective 01/01/2016 I doubt whether we will learn much more.

We have to look at the intention of the rule and, whilst I may later be convinced otherwise, it does look like "sights are black".
Then why why in blue blazes does it not say that?..Front and rear sights must be black..period!. Instead of what it says..Sheesh!

The road to hell is paved with (good) intentions.
Chia

Post by Chia »

Xman wrote:Then why why in blue blazes does it not say that?
Try reading the § 72 of the tax code sometime (26 U.S.C. § 72). That section is "only" about how you pay taxes on retirement funds. The section is long and extremely complicated. I have a book on interpreting it on my desk that's 500 pages long. Laws often dance around the subject matter just like this. As to the ISSF rule, whether it's poor writing or the person drafting it just didn't understand what was going on, the intent is pretty clear.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Xman wrote:...Front and rear sights must be black..period!...
Is that what you read it as saying?

I would wait for a re-wording or a clarification.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

Spencer wrote:
Xman wrote:...Front and rear sights must be black..period!...
Is that what you read it as saying?

I would wait for a re-wording or a clarification.
Any colour except black is a reflecting colour by definition.
(IPShooter already pointed this out). No further clarification is needed or likely in my opinion.
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

If this rule, as currently drafted, prohibits anything other than completely black sights, I really hope that someone will come to their senses at the ISSF.

I say this for several reasons:

1. It is absolutely inconsistent to restrict pistol competitors from having minimal sight color changes when rifle shooters have all manner of visual aids. And, I may be wrong, but I believe shotgun shooters can vary their shooting glasses to deal with different conditions. Pistol shooters can change lenses in their glasses, but I have found this is less effective than either painte or dots.

2. The ISSF cannot assume that, when shooting RFP or the RF portion of CF or 25 m Pistol, shooters using center hold can discern their sights on the RF bull. I had trouble seeing the sights well on this target when I was younger. Now, the rods and cones are not as good as they used to be, and seeing black-on-black is a big problem.

3. Allowing some variability on sight color or the addition of simple dots keeps some shooters in this game a little longer. Why not do so? In the USA, enforcing this type of rule just makes more of them go to NRA BE pistol and their red dot sights.

Stan
j-team

Post by j-team »

IPshooter wrote:If this rule, as currently drafted, prohibits anything other than completely black sights, I really hope that someone will come to their senses at the ISSF.
Why? For once it's not open to interpretation, black sights and that's it.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Sounds to me like they are prohibiting mirrored sights, and highly reflective paints. Ordinary blaze orange...be my guest. The only reason I don't use it is that MLAIC rules specify white or black sights quite clearly.
David M

Post by David M »

It does not matter with MLAIC because after you fire the first couple of shots
everything is covered in black, sights, gun, bench and shooter.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

So down here in NZ over the weekend we had the North Island champs. We ran the 25m Women's event as per the new rules on paper targets including the 15s 'Ready' command.

Overwhelmingly a much better format. Exciting as a lot can change in one series and consequently it remains engaging up until the last shot is fired.

At a guess as for the timing it all took about 35-45 minutes including patching, etc but can't be 100% certain as I arrived a little late on a part of finishing up my Air Pistol match.
In the past it had taken up to an 1.25 hrs to run on paper, and usually resulted in a rather drawn out affair.

As an addendum, some learning:
From a practical standpoint with paper targets and range staff forward once they are back it would be best to call the athletes to the firing point as a courtesy. 5-10 seconds to settle into a footing would be fair I think.
Better than the athletes clamouring for a footing before the staff are off the range.
Image Image
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

IPshooter wrote:If this rule, as currently drafted, prohibits anything other than completely black sights, I really hope that someone will come to their senses at the ISSF.

Stan
With white background and the traditional sub six aiming what could be better than black, even Carbide flame soot black (these lighters are still available from Germany!)

How would a lighter colour help here?
Pistol_sight_picture.png