ISSF Rules

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

David Levene

ISSF Rules

Post by David Levene »

A summary of the changes in the 2017 rules is now on the ISSF web site.
Brian Girling

Re: ISSF Rules

Post by Brian Girling »

" Blinders. Rifle, pistol and shotgun athletes can use one front blinder (30 mm maximum width). Only shotgun athletes will be permitted to wear side blinders (60 mm maximum depth). Rifle and Pistol athletes may no longer wear side blinders."

Food for thought ;-)
Would transparent 'blinders' be allowed for safety.
I can foresee a need in the 25m Pistol event, especially with a revolver. I have not read the Range Construction rules but I doubt if solid partitions (even transparent ones) are used.
FabioRifleRio

Post by FabioRifleRio »

'Air Rifle Specifications. The current limitation on how low the butt-plate may be extended was eliminated (was 220 mm below the centerline of the bore). No part of the butt stock between the butt plate and pistol grip may be more than 140 mm below the centerline of the bore. '

Are the wooden stocks condemned?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Brian Girling wrote:I can foresee a need in the 25m Pistol event, especially with a revolver. I have not read the Range Construction rules but I doubt if solid partitions (even transparent ones) are used.
I don't know about the 2017 rules but, in the 2013 rules the first part of 6.4.11.8 says "Firing points must be separated by small transparent screens that protect athletes from ejected cartridge cases and permit visibility of athletes by officials."
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

FabioRifleRio wrote:'Air Rifle Specifications. The current limitation on how low the butt-plate may be extended was eliminated (was 220 mm below the centerline of the bore). No part of the butt stock between the butt plate and pistol grip may be more than 140 mm below the centerline of the bore. '

Are the wooden stocks condemned?

it has been discussed at length in the other thread. At international level yes, surely condemned. At country and county level it will down to your local shooting organization. Hopefully not but they will have to make a decision. Write to them!
Chia

Post by Chia »

For us who are mathematically challenged, does this increase the number of final shots in AP10m from 20 to 24?

And does that mean you have approximately 50 seconds per shot in the initial strings instead of 75 seconds per shot?

If true, I'm pretty sure that this will change a lot of world records for finals, yes?
Finals Production and Music. The use of music and commentary in Finals is now required. Music should also be used during Elimination and Qualification competitions if possible.
Well, time to invest in some great earplugs...
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Chia wrote:For us who are mathematically challenged, does this increase the number of final shots in AP10m from 20 to 24?

And does that mean you have approximately 50 seconds per shot in the initial strings instead of 75 seconds per shot?
It clearly says:-

"The two 3-shot series at the beginning of each Final were increased to 5-shot series to be fired in 250 seconds (150 seconds for 50m Rifle Prone). These Finals will now consist of 24 shots."

In the 2013 rules you had 150 seconds for 3 shots. To my simple mind that's 50 seconds per shot, so nothings changed there.

I therefore don't understand your questions.
j-team

Post by j-team »

The change to 25m Sport pistol final making it a progressive elimination format like the other pistol finals is a good one.
Chia

Post by Chia »

David Levene wrote:
Chia wrote:For us who are mathematically challenged, does this increase the number of final shots in AP10m from 20 to 24?

It clearly says:-

"The two 3-shot series at the beginning of each Final were increased to 5-shot series to be fired in 250 seconds (150 seconds for 50m Rifle Prone). These Finals will now consist of 24 shots."

In the 2013 rules you had 150 seconds for 3 shots. To my simple mind that's 50 seconds per shot, so nothings changed there.

I therefore don't understand your questions.
Well, your simple mind reads math better than mine, so no I suppose nothing has changed. Also, the Wikipedia article on AP finals is wrong then, which is what I was going off of.
After a three-minute preparation time, during which the shooters are introduced to the audience, and a five-minute sighting shot period, separate commands are given for each competition shot with a time limit of 75 seconds per shot
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10_meter_air_pistol#Final

Serves me right for relying on Wikipedia. I therefore have no question on that one.

I still want to know if we went from 20 to 24 shots or if the total amount remains the same. And yes I know that Wikipedia says 20 shots, but since it just flunked the number test once, I don't believe it and want to confirm that is indeed what is meant for finals.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Chia wrote: Serves me right for relying on Wikipedia. I therefore have no question on that one.

I still want to know if we went from 20 to 24 shots or if the total amount remains the same.
Oh, you're the one that trusts anything they read on Wikipedia ;-)

What do you mean by "total amount"; number of shots or maximum score.

As the number of shots increases from 20 to 24, the maximum scores increases from 218.0 to 261.6
Chia

Post by Chia »

David Levene wrote:Oh, you're the one that trusts anything they read on Wikipedia ;-)

What do you mean by "total amount"; number of shots or maximum score.

As the number of shots increases from 20 to 24, the maximum scores increases from 218.0 to 261.6
Yeah it's a great thing for a lawyer to do, isn't it? (No we don't do that on the clock with caselaw and statutes. Also, why isn't anyone on this website updating the wikipedia articles? There's a ton of people incredibly knowledgeable about the sport on here! Maybe I should fix the article as penance for my over reliance...)

That answers pretty much all of my questions, thank you. I had two separate ones: both about the number of shots fired and whether that would modify world records. Your post answered both.

That just leaves my "question" about the music. But I don't have a question so much as an objection there...
renzo

Post by renzo »

Is it too late for taking up golf?

I´m getting really tired of rule changes and clarifications upon clarifications.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

j-team wrote:The change to 25m Sport pistol final making it a progressive elimination format like the other pistol finals is a good one.
That assumes that you think that the abominations that are the current Finals are good.

Water under the bridge, at this point, but those changes were some of the first nails in the coffin for me and International shooting. I don't fancy the idea of running a marathon and then having a 500m steeplechase decide the "winner".
j-team

Post by j-team »

john bickar wrote:
j-team wrote:The change to 25m Sport pistol final making it a progressive elimination format like the other pistol finals is a good one.
That assumes that you think that the abominations that are the current Finals are good.

Water under the bridge, at this point, but those changes were some of the first nails in the coffin for me and International shooting. I don't fancy the idea of running a marathon and then having a 500m steeplechase decide the "winner".
Well, I guess I'm used to them now. If you've ever had to run a 25m Pistol final (especially if you live in a country where electronic targets are things you don't have) you would understand how crap it was, and how much better progressive elimination is.

You forgot to add that you would have to run the steeplechase, backwards in jandals (google them if you're not a kiwi!).
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

New format final for Women's sport on YouTube here if anyone is interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX8d1mAWpyg

Runs about 25-30 minutes in this format. About right for a televised event slot which works out well.

Glad that the old format is done and dusted. That was a real shit to run on paper targets! It could literally go on forever: patching was less than fun.
Image Image
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

SamEEE wrote: Glad that the old format is done and dusted. That was a real shit to run on paper targets! It could literally go on forever: patching was less than fun.
The longest I saw was 1 hour 50 minutes with the range staff making 16 visits to the targets.
Brian Girling

Post by Brian Girling »

David Levene wrote:
Brian Girling wrote:I can foresee a need in the 25m Pistol event, especially with a revolver. I have not read the Range Construction rules but I doubt if solid partitions (even transparent ones) are used.
I don't know about the 2017 rules but, in the 2013 rules the first part of 6.4.11.8 says "Firing points must be separated by small transparent screens that protect athletes from ejected cartridge cases and permit visibility of athletes by officials."
RTFRB Like I said I have not read the rules.
Read The Flipping Rule Book.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Coaching. The 2013 Rules permitted non-verbal coaching in Shotgun. The new Rules permit non-verbal coaching in all events.
OMG .... Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

This will be a sight to see!
Xman

Post by Xman »

jhmartin wrote:
Coaching. The 2013 Rules permitted non-verbal coaching in Shotgun. The new Rules permit non-verbal coaching in all events.
OMG .... Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

This will be a sight to see!

Time to refresh my sign language skills. At least reading the signs. Glad I cant wear side blinders anymore..make it easier to look around and see.

White boards anyone?. Gonna have to limit the size of the boards eventually. 23x36 might a tad to big..LOL
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Xman wrote: Gonna have to limit the size of the boards eventually. 23x36 might a tad to big..LOL
PERFECT!!!!!
Go get a whiteboard and lots of multi colored pens.

These dudes were for sure into the hard stuff when they came up with some of these.