5 Week Online Shooting League - Like a Postal Match

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

NetCompetitor

5 Week Online Shooting League - Like a Postal Match

Post by NetCompetitor »

Registration is Open for the 2016 Net Competitor Kick-Off League!

Net Competitor, home of The IER&PA Postal Tournament, The National Rifle League (formerly VT Winter Postal) & The ISRPA Postal League, is proud to announce The 2016 Net Competitor Kick-Off League.

The Kick-Off League is a 5 week shooting competition held online this November on Net Competitor, like a modern "Postal League".

Featuring 9 Different Disciplines to Choose From:
Free Pistol
Precision Pistol
10 Meter Air Pistol
18 Meter Target Archery
.22 Rifle Prone
.22 Rifle Prone - Rookie Division
3P .22 Rifle
3P Air Rifle
Trap

Details
$5 Match Fee per person per discipline ($3 Rookie Division)
Open to both Junior and Senior shooters, any skill level
Shoot at your local range
Submit scores online starting October 31st
First week's scores are due by November 6th
Targets can be shot in advance
Awards for 1st, 2nd and 3rd Place
Sponsored product prizes & weekly themes!

Registration is Open Now!

Please help us to spread the word by inviting shooters you know and posting our attached flyer in your range! Flyer can also be downloaded at: http://www.netcompetitor.com/media/NetC ... League.pdf

Thank you for your support!
Alissa & Matt Haggstrom

For More Information:
http://www.netcompetitor.com
competitions@netcompetitor.com
http://www.facebook.com/netcompetitor
1-­844-­I-PLAY-­NC (475-2962)
#neverstopshooting
Attachments
NetCompetitorKickOffLeague.pdf
Kick-Off League Flyer to Post in your Range
(495.72 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
We Connect Competitive Shooting Athletes.
davidjohngoode

Re: 5 Week Online Shooting League - Like a Postal Match

Post by davidjohngoode »

Will you accept an entry for .22 free pistol shot at 20 yards on NSRA PL15 targets?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

davidjohngoode wrote:Will you accept an entry for .22 free pistol shot at 20 yards on NSRA PL15 targets?
From memory it is the PL14 that is the 50m target scaled down to 20 yards (except the black includes an extra ring). The PL15 was then developed using the same size black but what was the 9 ring became the 10, what was the 8 became the 9, etc.

I don't think they will admit it but the PL15 was introduced because people weren't getting high enough scores on the PL14. Giving them higher scores made them feel better about themselves, even though they weren't shooting any better (and in many cases were shooting worse).
davidjohngoode

Post by davidjohngoode »

Are you thinking of the PL12? I've entered the Yorkshire Winter League LBP comp, and they specify PL12 targets. In Cambridge, we all use PL15, but the Yorkshire organiser was entirely happy for me to shoot PL15s because the aiming mark is smaller than everyone else's in Yorks using the PL12s!
davidjohngoode

Post by davidjohngoode »

David, will you be shooting at the BPC Open Champs in January? I'm going to enter for 50m free pistol (and maybe for 10m AP), and it would be great to meet you.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

No, the PL12 is the 25/50m target scaled down from 25m to 20 yards.

The PL14 is the 25/50m target scaled down from 50m to 20 yards (with the addition of an extra scoring ring being in the black). This is the target that most closely resembles a Free Pistol target shot at 20 yards.

As I previously said, the PL15 is the same as the PL14 but what was the 9 became the 10, what was the 8 became the 9 etc. This target therefore gives an artificially high score compared to proper Free Pistol.
davidjohngoode

Post by davidjohngoode »

Maybe I'd better start using PL14s rather than PL15s, then, so I get some consistency when I begin shooting also at 50m the week after next at Bedford. Would that be sensible, do you think?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

davidjohngoode wrote:David, will you be shooting at the BPC Open Champs in January? I'm going to enter for 50m free pistol (and maybe for 10m AP), and it would be great to meet you.
I won't be shooting but, all things being well, I will be there.

I'm hoping that the entry forms will be available in the next 2 weeks.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

davidjohngoode wrote:Maybe I'd better start using PL14s rather than PL15s, then, so I get some consistency when I begin shooting also at 50m the week after next at Bedford. Would that be sensible, do you think?
As I said, the only difference is the number you get on the score sheet. Your group size should be the same.

If you are shooting on PL15s against others on PL12s then you are already at a disadvantage so there's not much point in changing to PL14s. Just don't expect to get the same score at 50m as you do on the PL15s (and that's not only because of the scoring ring size).
davidjohngoode

Post by davidjohngoode »

Thanks, David.

I realise it's going to be much harder at 50m, but I'm up for the challenge!
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

davidjohngoode wrote:Will you accept an entry for .22 free pistol shot at 20 yards on NSRA PL15 targets?
Just interested, but civilians in UK are forbidden (by the idiot Blair) from owning or shooting .22 free pistol. Is that Cambridge Uni UK? or .22 Air Pistol? or are you armed forces?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

TenMetrePeter wrote:Just interested, but civilians in UK are forbidden (by the idiot Blair) from owning or shooting .22 free pistol.
No they aren't. The gun must however be a minimum of 600mm long (without any easily removable components) and have a 300mm long barrel.

This is commonly referred to as an "NSRA Longarm".
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

David Levene wrote:
TenMetrePeter wrote:Just interested, but civilians in UK are forbidden (by the idiot Blair) from owning or shooting .22 free pistol.
No they aren't. The gun must however be a minimum of 600mm long (without any easily removable components) and have a 300mm long barrel.

This is commonly referred to as an "NSRA Longarm".
OK, thanks. I assumed you meant free pistol as was. Good luck!
davidjohngoode

Post by davidjohngoode »

TMP, I have a Pardini FPM free pistol, UK spec, among other things.

I don't think anyone in the University Pistol Club shoots free pistol; they're all AP and gallery rifle. I am a senior member of the University, but I'm not in the University club, as they're all half my age, twice as good, and rather overly competitive for my liking!

I'm a member of Gogs RC, where there's one other cartridge pistol shooter, but he doesn't shoot free pistol. I've just joined Bedford RC, because there are already two free pistol shooters there, and a very nice 50m cartridge pistol range. I've now swelled the ranks of free pistol shooters at Bedford by 50 per cent!
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

TenMetrePeter wrote:[Just interested, but civilians in UK are forbidden (by the idiot Blair) from owning or shooting .22 free pistol. Is that Cambridge Uni UK? or .22 Air Pistol? or are you armed forces?
Technically civilians are not forbidden from owning pistols. The '97 Firearms Amendment act changed the classification for most cartridge pistols from Section 1 to Section 5, moving the authorisation to acquire/posses from the relevant Chief Constable to the Home Secretary. It's only a ban in practise.
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

There's no 10 meter air RIFLE competition? Oversight?
AA S510 Xtra FAC Ultimate Sporter *CARBINE* .22
CZ200S "Green" .177
Feinwerkbau 800 Evolution Top
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
NetCompetitor

Post by NetCompetitor »

Hello!

@davidjohngoode .22 free pistol at 20 yards with a PL15 should be fine. The spirit with this one is to have fun and get more people together. It seems there really aren't a lot of free pistol shooters in our area of the globe. If we can get enough shooters together through the postal we would love to do them on a more frequent basis. With enough interest we can refine it more, maybe group it up into different distances, etc.

@Mtl_Biker we have 10 meter 3P air rifle. We opted for 3P over standing just to do something different. We do the hosting for the National Rifle League in January also, which has a 10 meter air rifle standing division ( http://national.rifleleague.com ).

Also of note, if anyone out there wants to run a postal match let us know! Like the National Rifle League, we can help put one together for you online.

-Matt
davidjohngoode

Post by davidjohngoode »

Great. I'm signed up.

We're not exactly bursting at the seams with free pistol shooters here, either!
NetCompetitor

Post by NetCompetitor »

@davidjohngoode glad to have you join us!
davidjohngoode

Post by davidjohngoode »

Thanks, Matt. I'm signed up, as you saw. But your system is a bit weird. It refuses to believe I'm not American. I change my country to UK, save my profile, but no little flag, and when I go back to my profile, it's changed my country to US.

There aren't many of us, so I'd quite like to "fly the flag" for UK free pistol shooting if possible.