The Late Great British Pound

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

SamEEE

Re: The Late Great British Pound

Post by SamEEE »

Beware anti-establishment politics.

Nothing bad in history has ever come from growing inequality, poverty, and the rise of the political right.... wait.

I got some cheap books out of the UK when the pound crashed post Brexit.
Image Image
Chia

Post by Chia »

SlartyBartFast wrote:Bad business practice. Should be selling current stock at prices that can buy new stock at current exchange and wholesale. Not at the cos the stock was bought at.

Selling and replacing generates cash flow and reduces inventory costs.

For a visible everyday example, look at gas prices. Pump prices are based on the current cost at the refinery, not on the cost of the fuel in the ground at the station.

A good deal is great for shooters in the short term. But low local sales leading to closed local stores is bad news in the long run. Or at least that was the old thinking. But if we're buying all our equipment at lowest cost online, what pays for local experts and support (and currently, "local" support often means a single national distributor)?

(Sorry for the tangential observation.)
Not so clear if that's a bad business practice, actually. Don't forget about taxation. At least here in the U.S., if you replaced stock at cost you'd lose on a loss you can take against income tax brackets. Unsure overseas.
v76

Post by v76 »

Oil is never bought at the Spot price. It is all futures contracts. Off all the things to profit off of the brexit, shooting gear is down the bottom if you haven't made your move already. Investing in the gbp and bonds with better yield and similar (most likely lower) risk is interesting, though. Going up nicely!
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

The gun importers and dealers will probably make the profits and sell them to you for the same dollar price anyway. Unless you buy 50 or 100 weapons it may not be worth the shipping to get the bargain. That means dealers. Plus you wil pay import tarrifs on retail not wholesale price I guess.
IRLConor

Post by IRLConor »

If you want to take advantage of the pound taking a nosedive then you'd be better off buying things that are made in the UK with little/no requirement to buy stock/ingredients from outside the EU. I recommend buying whisky. There are some great deals to be had right now. :)
davidjohngoode

Post by davidjohngoode »

I recommend whisky, whatever the exchange rate!
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

davidjohngoode wrote:I recommend whisky, whatever the exchange rate!
Until Scotland goes independant then heaven only knows what currency will be needed for whisky.
davidjohngoode

Post by davidjohngoode »

Fortunately, the English Whisky Co is just up the road from here.