Decimal Scoring

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Mtl_Biker

Decimal Scoring

Post by Mtl_Biker »

I've mostly been shooting paper targets (pistol, 10m) and scoring them with TargetScan and recording my progress (or lack of). I've recently started shooting at a different club and they have electronic targets with a display by the shooter that shows each shot and the score. I can't use TargetScan (unfortunately) to scan that screen and entering every shot manually, especially with decimal scoring, is extremely slow and frustrating.

So I just started a spreadsheet to record my results when using electronic targets. Not as nice as TargetScan, but better than nothing.

Anyway, I was surprised to see that my totals of the 10 shots per target were different from what the electronic scoring showed. It seems that even though decimal scoring is used for each shot, the target is actually scored without decimals, using only the whole number without even any rounding of the numbers.

Is that how it works? That the decimal scores are only used perhaps for tie breakers? But when I watch the ISSF matches on YouTube it seems the decimals ARE used.

So, what's the score with decimal scoring?
AA S510 Xtra FAC Ultimate Sporter *CARBINE* .22
CZ200S "Green" .177
Feinwerkbau 800 Evolution Top
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
David Levene

Re: Decimal Scoring

Post by David Levene »

For 10m pistol the decimal scores are only used in the final.

Although the EST might show the decimal score during the qualification stage it will only calculate on the integer score.
SPPcoach

Post by SPPcoach »

With your TargetScan app you have the option of turning decimal scoring on or off. Try it using interger scoring and let us know how close the recorded scores are. It is a great app!
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

Thanks guys. It's clear now.

And the electronic target scoring at that club shows individual shots in decimal but the target is scored in integer, without any rounding of the individual scores.

This also makes it easier for me to enter the shots in TargetScan (much easier than trying to fine tune decimal entries).
AA S510 Xtra FAC Ultimate Sporter *CARBINE* .22
CZ200S "Green" .177
Feinwerkbau 800 Evolution Top
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
v76

Post by v76 »

If I may, how good/accurate is that app? Any way to record the whole session in pdf format with a score sheet at the end?
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

v76 wrote:If I may, how good/accurate is that app? Any way to record the whole session in pdf format with a score sheet at the end?
The Iphone version is better than the Android version particularly with shot analysis.
Its as accurate as your camera and I had shown some 9s that were really 8s on Android S5 Neo. I cant imagine the decimal scoring being that accurate with my phone. It would habe to guess the centre of a raggy hole then estimate a 10.9 from a 10.8. maybe a proper macro lens may do it but you have to be far enough out for the app to recognize the diagram.
check out the app store reviews.

The fact that a previous poster said how easy it was to manually input scores should tell you something
The app is brilliant but you need brilliant phone and clean holes and perfect lighting.
Last edited by TenMetrePeter on Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
SPPcoach

Post by SPPcoach »

v76 wrote:Any way to record the whole session in pdf format with a score sheet at the end?
I just looked at the app. There are 10 ways to export the data. Google, Skype, Android beam, email, Dropbox to name a few. I didn't see the PDF option but I you can save as one after you export it.
v76

Post by v76 »

Thanks for the replies! I have (an antiquated now) Google Nexus 5 so I'll probably wait until my contract runs out in a few months and jumo to the dark side.
davidjohngoode

Post by davidjohngoode »

v76 wrote:If I may, how good/accurate is that app? Any way to record the whole session in pdf format with a score sheet at the end?
With the iOS version, you can use the "Share" button to email to yourself. What you get is a very nice PDF showing an overall image and then each series individually. Very useful. It'd be even more useful if it had Dropbox integration, but that may come. I never could get the Google Drive integration to work. But sharing to email works perfectly, and will do exactly what you want.

It's a great app. Don't hesitate any longer!
Attachments
TargetScan.pdf
Here's an example.
(57.96 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

davidjohngoode wrote:
v76 wrote:
With the iOS version, you can use the "Share" button to email to yourself. What you get is a very nice PDF showing an overall image and then each series individually. Very useful. It'd be even more useful if it had Dropbox integration, but that may come. I never could get the Google Drive integration to work. But sharing to email works perfectly, and will do exactly what you want.

It's a great app. Don't hesitate any longer!
It will also do the "Share" on the Android version. I have Samsung A3 and the app works very well and is very easy to use.
Martin