An interesting scope attachment with cell phone

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Xman

An interesting scope attachment with cell phone

Post by Xman »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Cell- ... SwgZ1XqwLD

Anyone have experience with this kind of set up?

Should work with a straight eyepiece too.
Could position scope on opposite side (shooting eye side) so as not have to shift head to look thru scope. Just need a glance.

I always had an issue with scope position in prone and kneeling and had to shift some to look thru scope. Yes with electronic targets no need for a scope but in majority of matches paper targets are still being used.

I know that "communication" devices are not allowed in ISSF shoots but one can used a phone camera in a non networked or non active cell phone. So it is NOT a communication device.

Any thoughts?
Andre

Re: An interesting scope attachment with cell phone

Post by Andre »

I saw something just like that at the National Matches in Indiana, I believe Lisette Grunwell was using it but I'm not positive. It was right behind her firing point.
Xman

Post by Xman »

Andre wrote:I saw something just like that at the National Matches in Indiana, I believe Lisette Grunwell was using it but I'm not positive. It was right behind her firing point.
I could see how it would be of good use behind the firing line by a scorer/spotter. Am thinking more so of being used by the actual shooter to spot shots with greater ease then squinting thru a spotting scope with eye relief problems that some encounter.

When I shot/shoot prone especially with my long arms I had to take a wide spread of my elbows and that impacted my ability to place the spotting scope in a "good" position so as not to disrupt my position when using the scope. I could never have the scope close enough to my rifle. If I could put the scope on the other side and use my aiming eye to look at the display there would be no impact. Same would be true of kneeling position. Of course standing is another matter. The adapter and scope could still be used on the aiming side there too.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

I'm hoping to be able to save up for this:
http://www.optexsys.com/redtail

Or there's cheaper versions where you place the camera downrange close to the target.

If you already have a good scope, the add-on might make sense. In my case, I can't position the club scopes anywhere that I like and an add-on system isn't a great idea for club equipment. Would have to install/remove it each time I went.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Here's another interesting option:
http://www.ostec.com.cn/product_detail. ... &CateId=32

I've seen other wired and wireless options to add to scope eyepieces as well.

I might try to convince the club to run splitters on the cameras in the range to put a tablet/screen at the shooting position or to make them wifi somehow.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
abinok

Post by abinok »

I use a home made phone to scope adapter in smallbore, then use sideshare to throw the image onto a 10" samaung tablet.

When shooting air rifle at home, I use the same phone, just placed near the target to throw the image onto my 50" television using a netgear PTV3000.

Id love a bright screen 17ish inch television that I could power from batteries for both applications.
Mike Carter

Post by Mike Carter »

I like to take pictures of my fired targets. Did it at Perry in 2013 with no issues. Even got permission from the chief range officer to use my camera. Did at Bristol in 2014 and never a word was said. On the last day of prone at Bristol 2015 the Line officer and the chief range officer and I had a discussion about my communication device (iPhone) forward of the ready line. Bottom line, they are not going to check to see if there is a network, cell signal, or whether you have it in airplane mode. So don't bring forward during a match.
I started to argue then realized the intent of the rule. A spotter behind the line communicating with a shooter is coaching. Prohibited. Don't wear your Apple watch on the firing line in a match either. Why it may appear you are checking the time you could just as easily be getting a text to put on 3 clicks right.

Trust me on this one.
Mike
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

At Bristol 2014 they had several announcements about rule 3.23 (prohibition of electronics forward of the ready line). I suspect that was mostly due to people's phone alarms going off during the matches on the first couple days. I opted not to test the waters, and just took a photo of my targets after they were in the scoring shed.

But yeah, bringing something like that forward of the ready line in a match is asking for trouble. For training, though, or for spectators during the various Team matches at Nationals, though, that's a different story: I think that could really add something to a match, almost like electronic targets provide instant feedback.
rmca

Post by rmca »

For ISSF, this applies:

6.11.10 Special Competition Regulations
e) The use of mobile telephones, walkie-talkies, pagers or
similar devices by athletes, coaches and team officials while
within the competition area is prohibited. All mobile phones
etc. must be switched off or placed on silent mode;

I wouldn't bother with that attachment for competition. It's asking for trouble.
For practice/training it's a different matter...

Hope this helps
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Lisette knows the rules and I'm sure she knows that this is allowed in an NRA comp, but not an ISSF.

Clarifying again ... ANYTHNG that can transmit or receive voice or data is not allowed on the line in ISSF rules ... even if the data trasmitters/receivers are turned off ... i.e. Airplane Mode
Xman

Post by Xman »

jhmartin wrote:Lisette knows the rules and I'm sure she knows that this is allowed in an NRA comp, but not an ISSF.

Clarifying again ... anything that can transmit or receive voice or data is not allowed on the line in ISSF rules ... even if the data trasmitters/receivers are turned off ... i.e. Airplane Mode
So how do I turn off my my ears and eyes?

They receive voice (ears) and data (eye and ears)

And the electronic target displays, dont they count to as actual data transmitters?

How about the in the ear electronic noise reducers?

Actually a camera in a cell phone is not voice and i do not think that the image processing is classified as data "transmission" as defined in Websters.

I need to find the actual rule..to pick it apart..LOL

I like doing that kinda stuff.

Must be my quality control background and technical writing too.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

See RMCA's post right above mine ... OK, OK - I should have said wireless electronic. If it has that capability, and yes it would include bluetooth earmuffs & hearing aids.

And I like to do that too..... :-)
Xman

Post by Xman »

rmca wrote:For ISSF, this applies:

6.11.10 Special Competition Regulations
e) The use of mobile telephones, walkie-talkies, pagers or
similar devices by athletes, coaches and team officials while
within the competition area is prohibited. All mobile phones
etc. must be switched off or placed on silent mode;

I wouldn't bother with that attachment for competition. It's asking for trouble.
For practice/training it's a different matter...

Hope this helps
mmmmm....the way 6.11.10 is worded..

am not using the telephone, am using a camera, different software entirely, and the phone would be switched off (sim card removed).
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Xman wrote:...am not using the telephone, am using a camera, different software entirely, and the phone would be switched off (sim card removed).
Don't expect range staff to deal with the technical details of whether it can be used as a phone.

If it looks like a phone then it is a phone.

Having said that, there are rumours (I repeat "RUMOURS") that the rules might be changed to allow non-verbal coaching. If true then that might also change the rules on electronic gizmos.
Mike Carter

Post by Mike Carter »

Xman, I'll save you some time.

NRA Small bore Rule book.
3.18 General - All devices or equipment which may facilitate
shooting and which are not mentioned in these rules, and which are
contrary to the spirit of these rules and regulations, are forbidden. A
Tournament Official shall have the right to examine a shooter’s equipment
or apparel. The responsibility shall be upon the competitor to
submit questionable equipment and apparel for official inspection and
approval in sufficient time prior to the beginning of a match so that it
will not inconvenience either the competitor or the official.

3.20 Ear Protection - All competitors and other personnel in the
immediate vicinity of the range complex are urged to wear hearing
protection devices. Only sound reducing devices may be worn by competitors
forward of the ready line.

3.23 Electronic Devices - Radios, tape recorders, or any type of
sound producing or communications systems are prohibited forward
of the ready line except hearing aids and those devices necessary for
range control.

CMP Rules
4.7.6 Sound Producing and Communications Systems
Athletes may only wear sound reducing devices on the firing line. Athletes or coaches
may not wear sound-enhancing or receiving devices on or immediately behind the firing
points during preparation and competition periods. Athletes may not use personal mobile
phones or other hand-held communication devices (i.e. tablets, etc.) or wrist-worn devices
(i. e. smart watches) on the firing line. Athletes may use timers, but mobile phones with
timer apps and any timers that make audible sounds are not permitted. Spectators and
match officials may have mobile phones, but phones must be in the silent mode
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

I've looked at similar attachments for my NG30 scope. Unfortunately it has a 45 degree swivelling eyepiece and so I suspect that the weight of the attachment would end up with my iPhone screen pointing at the ground!

Bob
divingin

Post by divingin »

Not to flout the rules, but for the device itself, do a web search for digiscoping. There's a plethora of adapters for scopes, for use with cameras, cell phones, or other imaging equipment.

jky
Xman

Post by Xman »

This IS getting interesting..

So apply some of the logic posted above...

Is a rifle with no barrel still a rifle? A rifle cannot function as a rifle with no barrel.

Can a mobile phone with no sim card still be a mobile phone. A mobile phone cannot function as a mobile phone with no sim card.

Maybe MY logic is twisted..not the first time I have been accused of that.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Xman wrote:This IS getting interesting..
Is a rifle with no barrel still a rifle? A rifle cannot function as a rifle with no barrel.

:-/
Xman

Post by Xman »

jhmartin wrote:
Xman wrote:This IS getting interesting..

:-/
uh-oh..Have I touch a sore point. does someone know something the rest of us do not. com'on spill it.

Is SBLS (small bore laser shooting) in the works..we do have the technology. A small 30w 532nm diode is getting cheaper. Mount it in an aluminum frame/holder ..how radical..(oh wait, we do that now). Gee we are half way there!

Yeah yeah off topic. I know. But still intriguing. Thats another discussion that I am working on. "SBRs Future: The Walking Dead"