How Many Pellets Do You Have?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Gwelo

How Many Pellets Do You Have?

Post by Gwelo »

I just ordered 2 sleeves of RWS Basic 7.0's and got to thinking about how many pellets I had already. Did a quick count and came up with about 15K. Seems kinda excessive?? Is this rational behavior? How many do you have?
David M

Re: How Many Pellets Do You Have?

Post by David M »

5 tins.
Down to a 3 tin minimum before I buy a new sleeve. (about 12 months worth)
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Don't worry, you're sane. Not excessive at all if you shoot frequently. I have over 50K pellets and I go through a tin or two every week.
CR10X

Post by CR10X »

On topic, you should have enough not to worry about running out before you can have more delivered. (So you can concentrate on training, not logistics.)

Changing the topic. Deleted

Original poster did not like that.....
Last edited by CR10X on Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Good point!

Another cogitation over my morning coffee, as I get ready to go to the AP range to continue my frantic scrambling to stay the same.
william

Post by william »

Rover wrote:Good point!

Another cogitation over my morning coffee, as I get ready to go to the AP range to continue my frantic scrambling to stay the same.
If you calibrate the coffee properly the caffeine-induced jitters will perfectly cancel the age-associated tremors, and voilà, perfectly steady hold. On the other hand, if you don't get it right they reinforce which is the much more common state.

A question for Rover: Is "morning coffee" a euphemism for "hair of the dog"?
Chia

Post by Chia »

CR10X wrote:On topic, you should have enough not to worry about running out before you can have more delivered. (So you can concentrate on training, not logistics.)

Changing the topic. But the question should be, do you learn something from each pellet you shoot?

It doesn't matter how many you have, or how many you shoot each day, week, etc. I see shooters banging away with pellets, .22's, centerfire and expending thousands of rounds without any change in performance (grouping or scores).

Better for use 10 in a week and get better than a 1,000 in a day and stay the same.

Just some thoughts with my morning tea.

CR
I generally learn that I need to sight my gun in for that day. Does that count?

That said, I agree generally with what you're saying but don't discount SOME endurance training. Most of us can't just do a sixty-round match at the blink of an eye. That takes practice and muscle development.
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

Didn't I see this same post about 22 ammo maybe on Rimfire Central?
Rover

Post by Rover »

To answer the question....I currently have around 3500 pellets, but feel I'm getting low.

Hair-of-dog good...it gets rid of the shakes.

BTW Just out of nowhere...I understand that when Japanese police take in a drunk, they will give him a couple of beers before releasing him (or her). That certainly would be a neighborly thing to do.
Gwelo

Post by Gwelo »

Thanks for the 3 responses so far. For the others and possibly new contributors, I guess I wasn't clear, let me rephrase the question:

How Many Pellets Do You Have? :^)
william

Post by william »

Gwelo wrote:Is this rational behavior?
If you have to ask....
Chia

Post by Chia »

Currently less than 200. I need to reorder soon...
CR10X

Post by CR10X »

Deleted

CR
Last edited by CR10X on Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

Two tins. One full and one in use. I let the club carry the inventory.
Rover

Post by Rover »

You may want to stock up now. I think the EPA (with Hillary's blessing) is getting ready to jump on lead and smokeless powder.
Gwelo

Post by Gwelo »

CR10X wrote:Well, training is training. And we don't have to fire a gun to train. You don't need to bang pellets downrange for get physically prepared for a 60 shot match.

As a matter of fact, just firing pellets to try and develop strength "might" lead some shooters to think its ok to fire a shot that's not the best it can be.

Believe me, you'll gain a lot of strength just putting the gun back down and not firing the shot if it did not go off within your minimum wobble / time frame. Better to keep the potential 10 points in the gun, than fire a shot you know will give some of those points away.

Just saying a lot less pellets and a lot more training will get us further down the road.

CR
You just can't help yourself can you? Maybe you would be better served to start your own thread on whatever it is you are trying to say. Then I could come along and post a bunch of blather that has nothing to do with the subject matter! Doesn't that sound like fun?

Hey, just kidding, but if you don't know the answer to the question, make something up!
Gwelo

Post by Gwelo »

william wrote:
Gwelo wrote:Is this rational behavior?
If you have to ask....
Damn, I was afraid of that.
Chia

Post by Chia »

CR10X wrote:Well, training is training. And we don't have to fire a gun to train. You don't need to bang pellets downrange for get physically prepared for a 60 shot match.

As a matter of fact, just firing pellets to try and develop strength "might" lead some shooters to think its ok to fire a shot that's not the best it can be.

Believe me, you'll gain a lot of strength just putting the gun back down and not firing the shot if it did not go off within your minimum wobble / time frame. Better to keep the potential 10 points in the gun, than fire a shot you know will give some of those points away.

Just saying a lot less pellets and a lot more training will get us further down the road.

CR
Good advice. I was just worrying about non aborted shots the other day. I'll make that my goal next session.
CR10X

Post by CR10X »

In case you did not read the first post, the question was answered.

Then I politely noted a change in the topic of conversation.

Deleted

CR
Last edited by CR10X on Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PFribley

Post by PFribley »

I don't worry about that. When I get low I live about a 10 minute drive from Champion Shooters Supply. Thursday evening is the best time to go. Pizza party. And one big bull session. Not a bad place to visit .