Building a 10 Meter Air Pistol-Air Rifle Indoor Range

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

ChipEck

Building a 10 Meter Air Pistol-Air Rifle Indoor Range

Post by ChipEck »

Came across this great article while I was looking for help in planning an indoor range for the university where I work.

https://www.usashooting.org/library/You ... SASCMP.pdf

Chip
47guru

Re: Building a 10 Meter Air Pistol-Air Rifle Indoor Range

Post by 47guru »

very informative thank you. We had a range nearby that a commander said was unfit due to lead from indoor use. I'm going to present this info and go about the clean up process to get it put back into use.

My goal is to develop a junior shooting team for my scout troop. Any with advise in establishing this 10m indoor air-rifle junior league would be helpful. thanks.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

I find when I empty out pellet traps there is far more paper dust flying around than lead, and paper fibres can be very injurious. Lead is vilified disproportionately by the anti shooting people because they know there is no alternative. However washing hands and sweeping up are sensible and adequate precautions. Are there any statistics for brain and bone damage in professional target shooters and umpires? Is the risk theoretical?

I suppose I better get a mask though.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

TenMetrePeter wrote:Lead is vilified disproportionately by the anti shooting people
While that sentiment feeds well into the persecution complex of shooting enthusiasts, the OSHA regulations about handling lead certainly aren't a result of anti-shooting conspiracies.

And as lead has it's worst effects on younger people, keeping a range lead-free is very important for junior programs.

Air weapons are certainly a lower risk than powder fired weapons.

But if you aren't regularly testing, the USA shooting document seems to be a good best practices document to follow.

The more I read about range design and lead issues, the more I'm worried about the rather lackadaisical approach to range cleaning at the indoor club I belong to.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

from the article we are reassured...
"During the last 20 years, there have been numerous medical evaluations to determine whether individuals who practice regular air rifle or air pistol target shooting are exposed to any real health risks as a result of handling lead pellets or being present on ranges during the firing of air rifles or pistols. Shooters in the U. S. Olympic Training Center Resident Athlete program at Colorado Springs, Colorado train on a daily basis with air rifles or air pistols. USOC-monitored blood lead-level testing is routinely required and conducted. This testing has never detected a single case of elevated lead levels that required medical intervention among athletes in the program. In fact, most athletes in these tests had lead levels well below the lead levels found in the general population."

Yes sweep up, wash hands, don't get paranoid.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

TenMetrePeter wrote:Yes sweep up, wash hands, don't get paranoid.
Which applies to airguns. I shoot .22lr, hence my worries.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

Thats OK. I was just going by the topic and the article which is air weapons.
ChipEck

Post by ChipEck »

I am also looking at building my own range as a rather large storage shed:-)
Thinking of a 45' by 10' structure that would be built on a concrete pad. My thinking is I could run three lanes and have room to hang coats, possibly even a tiny workshop. Have a small exhaust fan on the target end and thinking of epoxy paint on the concrete floor. I live in Wisconsin so I will need heat and A/C. Thinking of LED lighting and solar panels on the roof. All ideas welcome.

Chip
Chia

Post by Chia »

What type of targets were you thinking? If they're electronic you might want Internet wiring as well so that you can use the online features of the target software. And maybe some noise-absorbing or echo reducing walling material. I can't imagine that three people shooting at the same time in enclosed space with smooth walls would be very quiet. Also, maybe a place for SCATT? I mean, hell, if you're dropping that much on an entire building, might as well get the bells and whistles.
ChipEck

Post by ChipEck »

SIUS targets. I have a SCATT, not that impressed with it for Bullseye but never tried it on air pistol.
Thinking with 2 lanes I could have informal matches.. Also might move them to the university I work at to get air pistol jump started.