Newbie Question: FAC Application (UK) and Mental Health

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

WSMShooter

Newbie Question: FAC Application (UK) and Mental Health

Post by WSMShooter »

Hi to all,

I have a quick question regarding the FAC application process and mental health issues. I last shot as a club member 20 years ago and held a full FAC without issue. I have recently started shooting again (.22 smallbore rifle) and am coming to the end of my probation period, after which the club have suggested I apply for an FAC again as it would allow me to purchase my own rifle which i'll be able to customize to my own body and shooting style rather than continue to use shared club rifles.

Since handing back my original FAC I have been diagnosed as having bipolar disorder and am worried this is going to result in an instant 'blackball' on my application. I know the law has recently changed and that your GP is contacted prior to your application being approved and wondered if anyone else may have been through a similar situation? I love my sport, I am the most safety conscious person I know and I am possibly working myself up but thought I would pose the question.

All responses will be treated with the utmost respect.

Many thanks.
David Levene

Re: Newbie Question: FAC Application (UK) and Mental Health

Post by David Levene »

Can I suggest that you should discuss this with your doctor and ask whether he feels you should be allowed to use a gun.

As I understand it, there are different degrees of bipolar. The worst cases, during bad times, would certainly cause concern.
WSMShooter

Post by WSMShooter »

David Levene wrote:Can I suggest that you should discuss this with your doctor and ask whether he feels you should be allowed to use a gun.

As I understand it, there are different degrees of bipolar. The worst cases, during bad times, would certainly cause concern.
Thanks for the response - I fully intend to speak with my GP in depth before making any application.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Tell the government anything about yourself?

What, are you crazy?
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

Rover wrote:Tell the government anything about yourself?

What, are you crazy?
You have to understand the UK governments' paranoia with guns. One false step and you are in deep trouble. Tell your wife where you keep your gun safe keys and you lose your licence.
The Scots are even licensing air guns and banning home plinking, partly as a guilt trip over licensing mistakes they made in Dunblane.
Up front and honest is safest in the long run.
Last edited by TenMetrePeter on Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
WSMShooter

Post by WSMShooter »

TenMetrePeter wrote:You have to understand the UK governments' paranoia with guns. One false step and you are in deep trouble. Tell your wife where you keep your gun safe keys and you lose your licence.
The Scots are even licensing air guns and banning home plinking, partly as a guilt trip over licensing mistakes they made in Dunblane.
Up front and honest is safest in the long run.
Thank you for your comments - I have found that being open and honest has indeed been the best option in all other aspects of my life since my diagnosis, such as job applications etc. Although I still feel there is an unspoken stigma attached to mental health issues, at 39 years of age and having been diagnosed correctly 8 years ago, peoples understanding and attitudes are slowly improving.
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

WSMshooter,

You are right to be completely open and honest about things. A couple of things to think about:

Have you discussed it with a club official? You should be able to do this on a confidential basis. Ensuring that the club is fully in the picture is important.

I would strongly recommend that you join an appropriate shooting organisation well in advance of making an application for a Firearm Certificate. Regrettably, licencing departments don't always interpreted the law in the same way and it is sometimes useful to have a third party to "discuss" it with them.

Finally, i would allow a little time after completion of your probation period before applying for a certificate, maybe a couple of months or so.

Rutty
WSMShooter

Post by WSMShooter »

Many thanks Rutty for the comments - I agree fully with everything you've said and will be doing just that.
Rwilson

Post by Rwilson »

After reading this thread....oh to live in the USA.....parts of it at least, come on out to the 'free state of Arizona'....all shooters welcome!