crossmans challenger????

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

broke dad

crossmans challenger????

Post by broke dad »

Is there an aftermarket stock that take the challenger PCP from sporter style shooting and stock(adjustments) to a more precision style (more adjustable) stock and shooting.
jhmartin

Re: crossmans challenger????

Post by jhmartin »

With the CMP Rule changes over the past few years, allowing the challenger to adjust the cheekpiece and buttplate during the match, they have essentially put a precision gun in among the sporters.
The only thing that keeps it from competing well in the precision category is not the stock, but the trigger.

OOPS - :-) --- To stay on topic ... no I don't think there is a "precision" type stock for the CH2009.
abinok

Post by abinok »

The DV 4 way adjustable buttplate is a direct dropin, and will get you all the adjustment you could want on the butt.
http://www.masterclassstocks.com/accessories.html

There is plenty to be done with the trigger as well, and its easily reversible if you plan to use the same rifle in both sporter matches, as well as precision.
complete instructions here...
https://avveduti.wordpress.com/2010/04/ ... e-trigger/

The trigger makes this rifle a completely different animal.
Andre

Post by Andre »

The challenger is an interesting rifle. Crosman really pushed it in the Sporter category, creating a rifle allowing scores that have never before been shot before.

However, it will need serious modification to be competitive in the precision rifle category. You will need a full trigger rework by removing the lawyer spring, stoning all sear surfaces, polished pivot pins, and re-lubrication. It will also need an aftermarket regulator for a Benjamin Discovery. Make sure to get one that is vented to atmosphere. Will also need a sight set.

No aftermarket stocks are available, however you could find someone to make you a buttplate adapter to fit a precision buttplate to the original stock. You would need cheekpiece risers as well if you plan to use sight risers. I might be able to help you making parts if you're interested.

The stock could be hollowed out inside the fore end, allowing for interchangeable weights.
broke dad

Post by broke dad »

Thanks everyone for the help.
pcw

Post by pcw »

I hotrodded a Challenger for biathlon practice. I followed to trigger mod which Andre suggested (thanks again Andre) and it worked out great. I modified a Savage mk ll with a butt plate similar to the one above but was not really pleased with the result, so for the Challenger I bought the Anschutz butt plate carrier and carrier clamp. I attached the carrier clamp to a block of pine routed to the shape of the stock and drilled to take the carrier, I drilled 1 hole in the stock and the other carrier rod goes into the hole for the regular butt plate. The block is screwed to the butt. I made a plate and hook from aluminum stock, but you could purchace an Anschutz plate. I took an epoxie based wood filled and added a considerable amount of putty to build out the grip towards the trigger. I made a new cheek piece out of some cherry I had laying around and used screw eyes as the adjustment rods. I drilled holes in the cherry that lined up with the stock holes, wound the screw eyes into the cherry and the cut the eyes off with bolt cutters and ground them smooth. I use toilet flange clamping screws to hold some weights I have to the rail and I added stick on pine wood derby weights to the butt. I'm still looking for something I can use as a weight on the air cylinder. The sights are OK and Crosman has just come out with some new ones I haven't seen. So all the mods I made came to just over 100$ and that was for the Anschutz parts and well worth it. I'm happy with the rifle, it may not shoot with the best air rifles but it shoots better than I do. Is it the route to go for a youngster ? I looked on this forum for quite a while for a used rifle but I couldn't bring myself to pay out the 1200$, but if you can do that the resale value remains high and would be a better way to go.