Can a FWB 65 be safely dry fired?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Banjew

Can a FWB 65 be safely dry fired?

Post by Banjew »

I have been coming across very contradictory information on the interwebs about whether a Feinwerkbau 65 can be safely dry fired. I have just contacted the company on their website and await a reply.
What can folks here tell me?

Henry Sapoznik
Andre

Re: Can a FWB 65 be safely dry fired?

Post by Andre »

Without the pellet there is no air cushion slowing down the piston. I imagine you can damage the rubber piston seal easily by dry firing.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Someone several years ago posted here that in Germany at match pistol trigger weight check it was common for FWB pistols to be dry fired with a thumb held firmly over the muzzle, to provide some resistance for the piston. I doubt anyone's thumb could duplicate the resistance of a properly fitted pellet, but I'm not expert in the physics involved. I'd recommend against dry firing any spring piston pistol or rifle just to be safe. Too easy to cause damage to the seal,nor even to the spring or piston body.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Gerard wrote:Someone several years ago posted here that in Germany at match pistol trigger weight check it was common for FWB pistols to be dry fired with a thumb held firmly over the muzzle, to provide some resistance for the piston.
Moreover, using a thumb to provide resistance for the piston is foolish. The remaining lead particles and oil in the barrel may have enough force to penetrate your skin.
jerber

Post by jerber »

I remember dry fire my fwb65 many times
Also did contact FWB in Germany and they replied saying that there is no problem dry firing the FWB 65/80
Banjew

Post by Banjew »

...and to be on the complete side, I just called Pilkington's and Scott Pilkington gave a thumbs up to dry firing. Check and mate.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

If you're going to dry fire your 65 many times and it has the older rubber seals, your gun is toast. The newer seals are made of synthetic nylon and can take the piston slamming, I however wouldn't dry fire my 80.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

I remember a Beeman catalogue more than 25 years ago that said that "dry" firing could safely be done with a cleaning pellet, the point being that some resistance to the spring was advisable in order to slow it down a bit.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Gerard wrote:Someone several years ago posted here that in Germany at match pistol trigger weight check it was common for FWB pistols to be dry fired with a thumb held firmly over the muzzle, to provide some resistance for the piston. I doubt anyone's thumb could duplicate the resistance of a properly fitted pellet, but I'm not expert in the physics involved. I'd recommend against dry firing any spring piston pistol or rifle just to be safe. Too easy to cause damage to the seal,nor even to the spring or piston body.

That seems like a good way to end up with an embolism!
Image Image
Rover

Post by Rover »

It was common in the US, too.

The FWB65 has a steel piston ring just like a car.

The instruction manual says it may be dry fired, but it was kind of harsh and I didn't like to do it.
Banjew

Post by Banjew »

I have just received a reply about dry firing the FWB 65 from Feinwerkbau's Volker Muller who says: "It is possible to dry fire the FWB 65. No problem" and confirms what Scott Pilkington told me.

Thanks for your help and opinions.

Henry Sapoznik
Rover

Post by Rover »

This one should be a "sticky".