Larry Carter passing

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Gort

Larry Carter passing

Post by Gort »

I saw on facebook the passing of Larry Carter. Many of us knew Larry over the years. He will be missed.
https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/maine ... -cSnFAsh6U
Trooperjake

Re: Larry Carter passing

Post by Trooperjake »

Nobody did more for Junior Pistol Shooting, than Larry.... He will be sorely missed.
I hope someone will continue his legacy in his name.

Lawrence "Larry" Bruce Carter 1950 - 2018 GRAY - Lawrence "Larry" Bruce Carter, 67, of Gray, passed away suddenly at his home on Monday, Dec. 3. He is survived by daughter, Amanda May Carter, her partner, Will Cassidy; his beloved granddaughter, Olive May; his mother, Phyllis Carter of Portland; brothers, Gerald Carter of Gray, Michael Carter of Portland, Paul Carter of Waterboro, and sisters, Carol Jo Morse of Westbrook and Mary "Betsy" Haskins of Middletown, Va. Larry was predeceased by his son, Larry Lee Carter; and his father, Joseph Carter.Larry attended Deering High School and served in the US Marine Corps where he excelled at electronics and sharp shooting. While stationed at 29 Palms Marine Corps base in California, he took up racing dirt bikes. This would later spark an interest in drag car racing. He and his beefed up green Ford Falcon "bullfrog" could be seen frequently speeding down Oxford Plains Dragway on Fridays and weekends.Following his USMC service Larry worked as a heavy equipment operator and mechanic for several years. In the early 90s he took his hobby of target shooting to a competitive level, participating in many local, as well as national shooting competitions. He was to become an elite competitive pistol shooter with a long and distinguished record, including individual and team National Pistol Championships. He held numerous national records. Larry was widely known as a strong advocate for the competitive shooting sports, in particular for supporting women and junior shooters. He dreamed of having an all-civilian pistol team compete at Camp Perry and formed Team Ultradot in 1998. A year later, his civilian team won the National Championship for the first time in decades and started a resurgence of civilian team shooting at the Nationals. They have continued their success to the present time. His contributions to the shooting sports community will be his legacy.Larry's love of shooting led to an entrepreneurial venture as a gunsmith. His skills and knowledge as a pistolsmith became well respected and his customer base grew to include national and international clients. A celebration of Larry's life is planned for the spring. Notice of the event will be announced at a later date.In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to The Friends of the Maine Wildlife Park PO Box 1231 Gray, Maine 04039

Published in Portland Press Herald/Maine Sunday Telegram on Dec. 9, 2018
Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 7.37.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 7.37.29 PM.png (59.6 KiB) Viewed 2253 times
samg

Post by samg »

I am really surprise that more members are not commenting on this. Larry, as in Larry's Guns, was a huge person in our sport. His passing deserves more acknowledgement from all of us. My two cents... Sam
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

I agree, perhaps folks do not know what to say?

Personally, I mailed a card of condolence to the family and friends.

It won't change things; but, at least they know one person cared.

Cheers,

Dave

"WestCoastBarrelGuy"*

*Nickname Larry gave me a few years ago. Initially, I was offended. Now it is a badge of honor.
ChipEck

Post by ChipEck »

People could post on Larry's obit funeral home site. Family might like that.

Chip
dronning

Post by dronning »

ChipEck wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:07 pm People could post on Larry's obit funeral home site. Family might like that.

Chip
+1
Yes go to the link in the first post and leave a message for the family, many shooters already have.
- Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
dam8

Post by dam8 »

Larry was a very knowledgeable guy, albeit a bit grumpy at times.given a little time and he came around and warmed up. My favorite was when I was having issues with stovepipes,leading to alibis. He said " alibis are no problem, just send down 5 more 10's !
Rip Larry
shooter27

Post by shooter27 »

Sad and heartbreaking news,
As a benelli(and toz35 before) owner his business was the only place I calls over the years for parts and sometimes advices, most of the time I will have Deanna over the phone, I talked to Larry two or three times the last time was this pass november I had a broken firing pin and while trying to put the new one I messed up lil bit with others parts, he told me to send it to him he will fix it at no charge. Just by his voice tone you can tell he really care about the shooter's community I received my package the first week of December and the following days I called a few times but no one answer. First time to see him in picture....R.I.P