Help me learn about this Steyr LP1

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

LetUsTry

Help me learn about this Steyr LP1

Post by LetUsTry »

Hello, all. I'm from Scottsdale, AZ, USA, and we have nearly ZERO airgun shooters here, so my resources for learning and discussing Air Pistols is limited to the internet. So far, Google and posts on another forum have helped me tremendously in researching this pistol and its accessories. I'm always looking for more info and perspective, so I will share my pistol and story here.

I used to work at a popular range and firearms store here in Scottsdale. I met an elderly man, by the name of Reuben Hafter. He told many wild stories. Among them, being an inner city kid in New York (and the mischievous actions that go along with it), being shot down in WWII after lying about his age, and surviving behind enemy lines, activism for jewish firearms owners, test flying every airplane with a jet engine up to the F14, designing (or helping) the lunar lander with Grumman, and an Olympic Air Pistol world record. (beaten in 2012)

I didn't believe many of these stories until, due to Mr. Hafter's health decline, I was invited into his home in order to help he and his wife move out of their house. Evidence of his accomplishments were everywhere: medals, a signed photograph of the entire LEM design team, Apollo IX mission patches, awards from firearms competitions, and a helmet with his callsign "RED" on a bookshelf accompanied by a model of several planes he flew, among many other impressive items proving his stories.

I was in charge of clearing out the "gun room" of all items. My payment; any non-firearm item in the gun room I wanted to keep. (the below air pistol was not among them) His family, of course, got first call on items in the house. Working for an FFL, I helped them ship all the firearms to family in Florida.

Here is one of Reuben's pistols. He owned Swiss Hammerlis and Steyrs, but one was left behind after everything else had been removed. This one was given to me by his wife after his passing.

What do I still need to make it function?
How can I assess the condition of the cylinders/o-rings/adapters etc?
Is there anything missing that is critical to the function of the pistol?
Serial number 703815. What is the approximate age?
Are these still available? (it seems they have been replaced by newer models)
What is the approximate value of a pistol like this, and how much would the average shooter have to spend to make it work for them?

Last edited by LetUsTry on Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rover

Re: Help me learn about this Steyr LP1

Post by Rover »

Oh, bullshit!

Scottsdale (Phoenix) has some of the best air pistol shooters in the country. If you want to shoot with them, join Phoenix Rod & Gun Club. If you can't stand the heat try Rio Salado.

I knew Red. He set the still standing National Air Pistol record at PRGC.

We can fill and test your air pistol (I have one just like it) for you at the club. Your gun is as capable as any out there.

If you want it gone through, send it to Pilkguns (see top of the page) they sponsor this forum.

You can enter the range for free on Sat. or Sun., but you can't shoot free. See if there is anyone at the airgun range and go from there.
LetUsTry

Post by LetUsTry »

Thank you for the info! I never knew PRGC or Rio did air pistol. I asked my friends and contacts (even people who frequent PRGC for competition) and the answer was always the same. "No one really does that here, it's mostly international". I'm glad they were wrong!

I was referred to Pilk from another forum. It sounds like they're the premium airgun guys. I'll be contacting them for sure.

Red was very good. Event at 84, while he could still shoot, but barely walk, he still shot tiny groups with anything he brought to SGC. In particular his Marlin 45.70 and his Les Baer .308.
LetUsTry

Post by LetUsTry »

In addition to the questions above...

The muzzle device is clearly aftermarket, is the whole barrel aftermarket too?
If the cylinders I have are as old 1995 (as indicated by what appears to be a date on the front end) do they need to be replaced?
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

from the pictures the muzzle compensator is the nygord one. the original shroud and comp was removed making the gun lighter at the front.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Yes, the cylinders are old, but if they work don't worry about it, no one is checking the dates. After filling, drop them into some water and look for bubbles.

I think Siodian1 will be at the AP range early Sat. morning. He'll be able to help you.

You can PM him.
siordian1

Post by siordian1 »

Nope, I have to get the oil changed on the wife's car. Come and shoot with us on Wednesdays, at 6;30am. We can meet at the gate. Send me your email address so we can keep in touch. Our International matches should start up again in Sept. Twice per month, Free Pistol, Air Pistol, Rapid, and standard. When it comes to one handed shooting, we do it all.
David M

Post by David M »

For its age it looks in good nick, may still be worthwhile getting it stripped, inspected, cleaned and re-sealed with new O rings.
Rover

Post by Rover »

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
David M

Post by David M »

I do the o rings on my air pistols every 3- 5 years, seals dry out and the working seals wear.
Clean and serviced, they last longer and perform better.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Be at the PRGC front gate at 6:25 a.m. tomorrow (Thurs.) with your gun and pellets. One of us will let you in.

We'll fill the cylinders and test the gun and you'll shoot a practice match.

If your gun needs repair, we'll loan you a gun.

This is free.
SuperIIFT

Post by SuperIIFT »

Rover wrote:Be at the PRGC front gate at 6:25 a.m. tomorrow (Thurs.) with your gun and pellets. One of us will let you in.

We'll fill the cylinders and test the gun and you'll shoot a practice match.

If your gun needs repair, we'll loan you a gun.

This is free.

SO tell us the outcome

How did go Rover ? were you and the PRGC guys able to check out this members gun ?
That was a really nice offer of you to help out
j-team

Post by j-team »

Rover wrote:Be at the PRGC front gate at 6:25 a.m...
Who gets up at that hour to shoot air pistol?
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

j-team wrote:
I'm guessing you've never been to Phoenix in July.
Rover

Post by Rover »

No show....I guess he wanted to sleep in.

It beats the heat AND the traffic.
j-team

Post by j-team »

john bickar wrote:
j-team wrote:
I'm guessing you've never been to Phoenix in July.
Just checked the Phoenix weather, it's only 41 Celsius (105F) with a puny 19% humidity. Hard to imagine at the moment though, it's 14C (57F) here in Auckland but 72% humidity! (average winter day)

I've shot in Malaysia, Try 30+ Celsius and 90% humidity!
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

j-team wrote:I've shot in Malaysia, Try 30+ Celsius and 90% humidity!
Ah yes, that's called a "spring day in Ft. Benning" over here :)
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Nice heater. Should be good for another 25 years!

Value? About a thou I reckon.
Image Image
Pheyden

Post by Pheyden »

You are welcome to join Other 10M pistol shooters who participate in the "10M Pistol Competiton League (PCL), which is hosted on Facebook. Look for the league title on Facebook to find it. We have shooters from around the world (including Siordan from this forum) who enjoy the monly co oetition.
LetUsTry

Post by LetUsTry »

Rover wrote:No show....I guess he wanted to sleep in.

It beats the heat AND the traffic.
I work on an emergency ambulance in Scottsdale. 24 hour shifts. Sleeping in is NOT what I was doing. Admittedly I haven't rescheduled. Mainly because starting a new sport at this stage of my life doesn't sound too fun. I have my hobbies already. Besides, I rarely shoot at all anymore with and with 2 jobs, and trying to buy a house, my schedule doesn't have a ton of free time right now.

I'm probably going to sell the pistol. It means something to me because the family it came from, so I've held onto it for a while. But I'm short on time, and short on money. I'll probably price this out and let someone who will use it for what it was intended take it off my hands.