Help me learn about this Steyr LP1

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Trooperjake

Re: Help me learn about this Steyr LP1

Post by Trooperjake »

I met Red Hafter in 1989, we flew to Israel for a shooting match, he was on the USA pistol team, I was on the rifle team.
I found out he was on Chuck Yeagers test flight team at Edwards Air Force Base.
I was to understand Red was a Full Col.
I sat with him on the 14 hour flight, he was so nervous with every bump, he said only sitting in the Cockpit would settle him down.
In the vans and buses traveling from our room to the different venues, he was also nervous, at one point he asked to take over the driving.

He had to be in control....didn't trust any other driver or pilot.
He was a great guy...
LetUsTry

Re: Help me learn about this Steyr LP1

Post by LetUsTry »

Trooperjake wrote:I met Red Hafter in 1989, we flew to Israel for a shooting match, he was on the USA pistol team, I was on the rifle team.
I found out he was on Chuck Yeagers test flight team at Edwards Air Force Base.
I was to understand Red was a Full Col.
I sat with him on the 14 hour flight, he was so nervous with every bump, he said only sitting in the Cockpit would settle him down.
In the vans and buses traveling from our room to the different venues, he was also nervous, at one point he asked to take over the driving.

He had to be in control....didn't trust any other driver or pilot.
He was a great guy...
How awesome!

He was a test pilot for just about every aircraft with a jet engine up to the F14 I believe, and also helped design the lunar lander. He had a couple dozen models in his house. He said that every model is a plane he flew. He also had his helmet with "red" as the callsign. He had some AMAZING stories. Someone should make a feature film about his life. There's PLENTY of source material.