LP10 vs LP2

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Dean

LP10 vs LP2

Post by Dean »

I looked at a Steyr LP2 and liked the plunger design for loading a pellet. You set the pellet in a groove and push forward a lever and a plunger pushes the pellet into the chamber. Is the LP10 a similar design? If not can someone specifically describe how it works? Also what are the major differences between the LP2 and the LP10? Thanks.
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

The LP10 is different. You have to push the pellet into the barrel. Some people, especially those with large fingers complain. When I first got my LP10, I did not like it, but am now used to it. I no longer even think about it.

I think the LP2 does not have the barrel porting and recoil absorber. There may be other differences that others know better than me.

Steve T
Chris

Post by Chris »

not that the air pistol has much recoil I have noticed a differance between the two pistols. I shot an LP2 from when compresed first came out until the LP10 arrived on the scene and then I swithed and I really like it. My PR is still with the LP2 but I like the way the LP10 feels and soots. I guess I have big fingers by some standards and I have gotten used to feeding pellet into the chamber.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Some people don't like the loading of the LP10 but it does mean that you can only ever load a single pellet. I've seen people accidentally load and shoot two pellets at the same time from a plunger type loader, in competitions.

I also believe there is quite a bit of difference between the 2 and 10, hence the price difference, but I don't know the technical details.

Rob.
Mark Briggs

LP2 vs LP10 technical comparison

Post by Mark Briggs »

I can confirm the following technical differences between LP2 and LP10:

Differences:
- LP 2 does not have a recoil absorber in the breach bolt assembly; the LP10 has this feature
- LP2 does not have three holes drilled in the top of the barrel to aid in recoil compensation and reduction of muzzle flip; the LP10 has this feature
- LP2 does not have an 8-way adjustable trigger shoe; the LP10 has. The LP2 is adjustable only for fore/aft travel and rotation around the same axis as that of the barrel
- LP2 has a weight that can be mounted directly on the barrel and adjusted throughout the full length of the barrel. The LP10 has a barrel shroud which allows weights to be added to either side or both sides of the barrel and adjusted throughout the full length of the barrel.
- LP2 features "port loading" in the manner described the the originator of this thread; the LP10 requires the shooter to manually load the pellet into the breach end of the barrel.

Similarities: Both guns feature...
- the same sights and adjustability
- the same grips and grip adjustability
- the same adjustments of trigger release (note this is NOT referring to placement of the trigger shoe)
- the same air cylinders and cylinder fill adapters

In essence, the LP2 represents a slight update of the LP-1 design. The LP1 is a fine pistol, and won gold last week at the Athens Olympics. The LP2 should in theory be just as good a pistol. A point was raised earlier about the risk with the LP2 of loading 2 pellets. Trust me, this is a real risk! I've done this with my Morini 162 which loads in exactly the same way as the LP2. It's also much easier to load a pellet backwards in the LP2. I've never had a problem loading pellets in either my LP1 or LP10. Once you get the hang of it it's not a big problem and you get the added benefit of seating each pellet uniformly in the breach by using the excellent tactile response of your thumb to measure seating depth.

Either the LP2 or the LP10 are airguns that fall squarely in the catagory of "you can't go wrong with one of these".

Post by Guest »

Actually there is a difference in the sights. The rear sight on the LP10 is adjustable front to back to adjust the sight radius. I thought this was really weird.
DaveS

Post by DaveS »

The trigger shoe can be replaced with the one from a LP10 or even the one used on the FWB pistols. Either will work just fine on an LP2. You'll probably find that the one supplied will end up being your favorite over the adjustable versions and more comfortable anyways. In my own experience, any pull rather then straight back created more problems. You might want to compare the cleaner, sight path of the LP2 to the barrel shrouded LP10 to see if that's to your liking. The barrel shroud does add a bit more fore weight to the pistol. Your dealer should be able to fit a weight carrier bar to a LP2's trigger shroud at very little expense should you need it.

If the price difference is an issue, try looking at the Anschutz LP@. It's the sister pistol to the LP2 and LP10 and priced about $300 USD below the LP10 last time that I checked. It's the same, exact pistol as the LP 10 without the barrel ports or barrel shroud, but all of the other features including the recoil absorber.

After shooting a FWB for years that used the bolt loading, moving to a LP1 followed by the LP@ that I presently use, I can see no preference for returning to a bolt loader. Don't be too impressed with the recoil reduction features of the LP10. While they certainly help, the recoil of the LP1 was already minimal. The LP1 and Morini 162 continue to dominate the choice of the best without those features. The LP2 should be no less.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

I had forgotten about the fore/aft adjustability of the rear sight. It's a feature I never use, so I guess that explains why I don't use it. To offer a slightly different opinion on trigger shoes than was expressed earlier, my LP1 wears an LP10 trigger shoe. Try as I might, I wasn't able to get the stock LP1 trigger shoe to give me a reliably-exact finger position. I find I get better repeatability with the LP10 trigger shoe. Now if only I could mount one on my Morini... ;-) (Actually, I tried the Hammerli ergonomic trigger shoe on the Morini; it worked well but I just didn't like the shape.)

One other point to reinforce a statement made by another contributor. The LP1 and LP10 muzzle compensators really do work well. The LP2 should be equally as good.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Chris wrote:not that the air pistol has much recoil I have noticed a differance between the two pistols. I shot an LP2 from when compresed first came out until the LP10 arrived on the scene and then I swithed and I really like it. My PR is still with the LP2 but I like the way the LP10 feels and soots. I guess I have big fingers by some standards and I have gotten used to feeding pellet into the chamber.
Chris I think you are talking about the LP1, the LP2 is new. Everyone thiks that little loading plunger is great unit they accidently lod two pellets in it and shot on target and lose 20 points. You have to try really hard to load two into the LP10. For the few hundred dollars difference I would go for the LP10, if not I would find a used LP1. IMHO I think the LP2 is priced too high in comparison to all the other pistols for what you get.