which gun to buy?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

which gun to buy?

Post by guest »

I'm relatively new to the sport and have decided to purchase a top end gun. However I'd would like to know why steyr seems to continually be the most used gun at top matches?ie olympics. Are they hands down the best AP on the market or just a current trend? If all top brands can shoot tens without fail, what draws most towards the steyr's as oppsed to FWB or hammerli.
Thanks in advance for any info .
CraigE

AP to buy

Post by CraigE »

Welcome! Top end pistols are all just that....top quality. Each has a feel and features that tend to differentiate them one from the other. It is true that they all have the capability to shoot single hole groups and top scores .....if the shooter matches the pistol. I shoot a 15 year-old Steyr LP1 (CO2) which I bought used. It belonged to a member of a national team prior to my purchase. I have shot it for a year, gradually improved my shooting (some due to practice itself and some to the quality of the pistol). There have been no mechanical shortcomings and the tremendous flexibility in sights, grip angle, velocity, balance all contribute to building a level of confidence to aspire for more. There are top notch shooters using (although not too many in the 10m arena) IZH (which I started with) or other lower priced pistols and they are consistently shooting 550's or better. Morini has the electronic trigger and lesser grip adjustment, FWB has had a proven history of exquisite manufacture and success in competition. Hammerli, likewise. Steyr happened (back when my pistol was new) to break new ground and advance the art of fabricating a superior pistol with innovative technology.
The innovations have stood the test of time since most other makers now incorporate many of the types of features found in the 1990 LP1. Now to answer your question......try to shoot as many of the subject pistols as you can before you buy. Buy from superior vendors...such as our hosts...where you have options of adjustment, exchange and excellent advice. My predisposition is to Steyr...because I have had very satisfying experience. Others can claim the same for Morinin, FWB, Hammerli, SAM, Walther, MG etc. Since the pistol becomes an extension of your physical being....comfort and fit probably count the most. Next is the reliability of the combined maker and vendor. Maybe the order is reversed or on the same level. I don't think there are "bad choices" at the top end.....but there are "best choices" which reflect on the marriage of shooter and pistol. Good luck in finding the right pistol for you and having the opportunity to allow the pistol to perform to its capacity. IMHO.
Craig E.
Jim B.

Post by Jim B. »

Hello and Welcome,
In addition to the brands already mentioned, I would strongly encourage considering the Pardini. I have had considerable experience shooting Steyr, Morini, FWB, and Walther APs. When it came time to lay down cash, Pardini was my personal choice. It comes in short, long, and long/light barrel profiles. The grip is, for me, just fantastic. The trigger is very similar to the SP standard pistol; in other words it's superb. The accuracy, like so many top APs is phenomenal. And don't forget 2 Olympic gold medals in 96 and 2000.
It's a real sleeper, and you rarely see them resold. And like I said, if you get into standard, centerfire, or free pistol, you'll find a Pardini with a very similar feel.
But do yourself a favor and get as many APs into your hands as you can. You may just find yourself drawn to an air pistol which is perfect for you but just outside the bandwagon.
Raymac

Raymac

Post by Raymac »

Here is a link that may help you decide which air pistol to buy.....and why Steyr is consistently the best. It identifies some of the important features that one should be looking for.
http://www.airgunsonly.com/frames.html [look under 'technical tips.....best air pistol]
Walter Young

Post by Walter Young »

Don't just go buy a Steyr or Morini because they are the top 2. They are very different from each other which only shows that you should try as many as you can. It's quite possible that the new Feinwerkbau or Pardini could be the new top pistol in a few years. You never know until you try.
dps1226

which gun to buy

Post by dps1226 »

Try out all of the top guns you can get your hands on. I shoot a Steyr LP5 with heavy trigger. I love the grip and use a heavy trigger....Bullseye was the driving force... personal best 563 with single shot magazine ....have tried the lp10 trigger and truly believe that 570's would be easily attainable with the lighter trigger.... I like the fact that Steyr is easily and totally adjustable ..... ultimately makes the gun an actual extension of my arm ... point of aim is natural and easy once totally adjusted...the trigger is two stage and heavy but I love the feel and totally reliable release point.....It truly is hard to put down ..... I would love to have an LP10 just to see if my thoughts are true ...... Talk to guys like Don Nygord , (champions), get their opinions and insight .... THEN ! ....Get the one that fits you , feels good and gives you confidence. Shoot it a lot , (marry it), and you will not be disappointed.

one problem!

Post by guest »

Hi again and thanks for everyone's advice. Unfortunaltly the one aspect that seems to be the most important in choosing a AP, the trying as many as possible seems to be the hardest thing to do because their isn't that many shooters at the range I belong to. I live in B.C. Canada and the sport seems to be way larger back east hence their is not too many people here with a wide range of guns. So unfortunatly unless I wait for a big match to come to town it may be a crap shoot in buying a gun by going on what other people say about them. I'm hoping that if I marry a few aspects such as customer service, statistics, people's opinions and latest technology I should (I hope!) make a semi wise decision as to which to buy.
Thanks again this site has been tremendoulsy helpfull in getting info.
Bill177

Recommended Canadian dealer

Post by Bill177 »

I suggest you contact Jocelyn Langlois at http://www.targets.ca/ - he has, as his web site says, coached at World Championships, Pan Am Games, Commonwealth Games and Olympic Games, as well as at over 25 World Cups. He was an athlete specializing in rapid fire before his coaching career. He has achieved NCCP Level 5 Certified Coach in Pistol Shooting and he has also a certification from the International Coaching Course at the German Shooting Federation School. Also, in 1998, he coached the CIOR military gold medal team at NATO World Championship.

Jocelyn will take time to talk with you - a very kind man.

Also check the Canadian forum at http://www.targetshooting.ca/wwwboard/index.html

Also, try http://www.airguninfo.com - there is considerable information on that site relative to target shooting and about air pistols.
Ryan Benteman

Don't Forget

Post by Ryan Benteman »

I would just like to say that I have not seen one word about Anschutz. If it is because I have just not seen it, opps. Personally I have shot Steyr and Anschutz, and I find them to have almost no difference. Not to mention they are now kinda the same company, but I shoot an Anschutz LP-@ and love it, I would not get a different type of pistol if I had the chance and do not regret buying it.
Mike Taylor

Don't despair

Post by Mike Taylor »

Dear Guest,
While there may not be as many air pistol shooters in BC as in Ontario, there are a goodly number. An excellent place to see a broad selection of target air pistols will be at the Hibernation Match hosted by the Richmond Rod and Gun Club from November 5th thru 7th. The best BC shooters will be there and from experience I expect you would see a good cross-section of air pistols (Steyr, Morini, Hammerli, Walther, Pardini, and others). For more details, contact organizer Paul Alexander at 604-277-0248. Another possibility is the Western Canadian Air Gun Championships hosted by the Calgary Rifle and Pistol Club from September 24th thru 26th. Contact is: e-mail info@crpc.ca or fax at 403-685-2025. Depending upon where you are in BC, a drive to Calgary is not too onerous
:-)
If you are close to Kelowna, I can arrange for you to handle a Pardini K2, a Hammerli AP40, Walther CP2 and CPM1, and a Tau 7.
Regards,
Mike T.