Morini Velocity?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Lawrie

Morini Velocity?

Post by Lawrie »

Hi Everyone,

I've just invested in a Morini 162EI and like it a lot. The "handbook" suggests a velocity of about 492 fps. I've checked mine and with two different makes of pellet I get in the region of 460 - 470 fps.
My query is how do I increase this to the range Morini state. Obviously I need to remove the grip, but do I have to remove the pcb first? Is there any problems I should be aware of? Which direction is the screw turned to increase the velocity? The "handbook is not exactly full of detail.
Grateful for any help.

Cheers, Lawrie
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

I would'nt worry about the velocity, if your shooting match pellets you should be fine.

But to answer you questions, you turn the screw in, clockwise to increase velocity. You don't need to do anything special to the gun prior to doing this. but I don't know what pcb means
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

PCB = Printed Circuit Board

In the case of the 162EI the PCB doesn't have to be removed from the grip before removing the grip from the pistol, but as a matter of course I always remove the electronics from the grip first. Likewise, I always install the grip and then insert the electronics just as a means of ensuring the connectors mate as they should.

On the subject of velocity, Franceso Repich is the head of Morini Competition Arms and often contributes to this discussion forum. He has on many occassions stated that the 162 is not designed to be a "fast" air pistol and that best results are normally obtained at lower velocities.

In the case of my 162 Short I found that it shoots well with H&N High Speed pellets in the 485fps range, but that it really prefers heavy pellets (H&N Glatt) in the 465fps range. And at this velocity the pistol is much, much nicer to shoot, producing noticeably less recoil and muzzle flip. The added bonus is that it also results in 140+ shots per cylinder of air (keep in mind these are the short cylinders!).

So, before you start cranking up the velocity I would suggest you shoot it for a while at the factory setting. You may be very pleasantly surprised by the results!

Mark.
David M

Need for SPEED

Post by David M »

The factory seems to set the velocity between 150-152 m/s on the 162's.
I found on the machine rest that you can reduce this a little with no loss of accuracy, but some loss of felt recoil.
I run about 143-145 m/s with 4.50 R10's.
Turn switch off, loosen both grip screws, remove grip. The velocity screw is below the rear sight on the backstrap, as a guide one full turn makes about 8 m/s difference. Screw in (clockwise) increases spring tension on hammer, this opens the valve longer,--more air,--higher velocity.
Do not turn in too far or you will get spring bind and not be able to cock the pistol, also, higher velocities use up a lot more air (less shots in the tank).
Lawrie

Morini velocity

Post by Lawrie »

Thanks for all your informed advice; be sure I will take account of it.

I'll keep the present settings for now and see how I go on.
Incidently the 2 pellet makes were Vogel Match 4.51mm and H & N Finale Match 4.50mm. The Vogel averaged 469 fps and the Finale Match 462 fps.

Cheers, Lawrie