beginner ? Grip mod

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
colin

beginner ? Grip mod

Post by colin »

I am new to 10 m air pistol, just got an IZH46m a couple weeks ago . I am wondering if its too soon to start modifying the grip ? Should I wait for a while ? Im shooting around 510 /600 , if thats any indication .

Also , for when I do start to modify the grip, I have a couple questions that I didnt see anwered in the forum here ( took me a while to read 'em all ! )

From what Ive read , the middle finger does most of the gripping , and should be pulling straight back , with no side pressure from the last, tip joint . On my Izzy , my fingers hang out straight across the flat on the forward part of the grip, so its kinda natural to just grip with the middle joint . Is it recommended to cut grooves so that the fingers wrap comfortably around that sharp corner or no? Wouldnt that encourage me to grip with that last joint of my fingers and maybe pull sideways as a result ? In other words , is " comfortable" neccesarily better ?

Thanks for any help on this, and for a great site - I learned a lot here already .

Colin
william

Post by william »

Way too soon to be carving up grips. It's not your score that matters (IMO); it's how aware your hand's bits are of where they are and what they're doing. When you think you're there, it's time to look up "Nygord's Notes" on Don's site - there's a very helpful series on grip mods.

A few things I've learned from not always successful experience: be very patient - small changes in the wood make for big shifts in the hold; use a soft material for filling so you can grind it away easily if it's not perfect; be very patient; it won't hurt to have a spare lying around in case you mess it up beyond saving; be very patient; don't be in too much of a hurry to think you've got it right or wrong; be very patient.

In case I didn't mention it: be very patient.
dm03tv

Post by dm03tv »

Hi Colin,

I'm also a beginner with an IZH-46M. It comes with a block of wood resembling a grip. NO, it's not too early to modify your grips, especially on an IZH-46M. I had mine fitted to me by the Gripman (Seaton Thomas). He was a pleasure to work with and the results were astounding, especially when you consider we did it by postal mail and phone calls. Search this site for his e-mail address.

Don in Hawthorne CA
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I would agree with the last poster, it's never too soon to mess with the grips. I would however advise you do any modifications with assistance from a coach or experienced grip maker.

Rob.
dm03tv

Post by dm03tv »

I'd like to clarify my previous reply. If you had purchased any of the high end air pistols, I wouldn't touch the grips until you're shooting a tight grouping. On the other hand, it's as though the Russians expect you to modify the 46M's grips and give you oversized boxy grips accordingly. The sharp left front edge of the grips was the most uncomfortable for me. The first poster suggested the excellent instructions at Nygord's site. You might want to consider doing very minimal work on that edge only for now.
Ian

Making Modifications to Your Grips

Post by Ian »

Hi Colin,

As I had said when we met. Properly fitted grips is one of the most important thing that you can do. But the since you are new to the game, messing around with your grips will end up being very frustrating and not very satisfying.

If I might suggest, I would contact a gentleman by the name of Seaton Thomas. He specializes in building and modifying grips for many of the better and elite pistol shooter in the country, if not the world. It takes about an hour and half and costs under a $100.

More specifically, the key to modifying your grips is not just to make them fit comfortably, although that is an important factor but when you pick up the gun that the front and rear sights align themselves almost "automatically" without much effort on your part. Because of this very important aspect or element, you really need to have someone that knows how to do it right do the job and one of the best is Seaton Thomas.

Please don't take my word for it, look back in this section of the Targettalk about three or four months or so. There is a similar discussion where there is a long string of folks that sing Seaton's praise.

If you want his email and or his number, please let me know. By the way Seaton will be comming to the Bay area around the middle of August to do some grip work forthe guys around here. If you are interested in meeting and chatting with him, at that time, please let me know.

As always, keep'em all in the 10 ring,
Ian
colin_maine

Post by colin_maine »

Thanks - I appreciate the help . I sent S. Thomas an email
Colin

Thanks too, Ian - I think Im a different Colin than who you're thinking of though . Unless by " Bay Area " you mean Penobscot Bay ?