Sights and grouping

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
henno777

Sights and grouping

Post by henno777 »

Hi all

1) Please tell me whether there is a shift in grouping (uo and down) if I shoot with say 200 bar in the cylinder vs. shooting with 100 bar. Also how low can you go with a the pressure in the tank.

2) How often do I need to zero-in my pistol. I found that I need to make minor adjustments before each practice (1 or 2 clicks), or is it just me?

I shoot with a Steyr LP10

Regards
Henno
thenikjones

Re: Sights and grouping

Post by thenikjones »

Hi Henno,
2) How often do I need to zero-in my pistol. I found that I need to make minor adjustments before each practice (1 or 2 clicks), or is it just me?
3 possiblities are:

(a) the lighting conditions are slightly different - especially when going from indoors to outside and vice-versa
(b) shooting at different times of day affects energy levels, eye strain etc - I find this to be the case wheen shooting evenings in the week (after work) and mid-day of a Saturday
(c) with a sub-six hold, you may be judging the gap between top of sites and black circle differently; more likely is you are a beginner.

There must be other reasons, but these 3 definately affect me.

HTH,

Nik
funtoz

Re: Sights and grouping

Post by funtoz »

henno777 wrote:Hi all

1) Please tell me whether there is a shift in grouping (uo and down) if I shoot with say 200 bar in the cylinder vs. shooting with 100 bar. Also how low can you go with a the pressure in the tank.
I do not notice a significant change from 200 to 100 bar with my LP-10. I once forgot to change my cylinder and was well below 100 bar before it became obvious. The regulator that steps down the cylinder pressure to discharge pressure works quite well.

I shoot with a Steyr LP10

Regards
Henno
I leave my basic zero alone for many months at a time. If I shoot under consistent conditions, the gun doesn't need change. Changing conditions, especially lighting, can create click or two shifts. We are probably the biggest variable for all aspects and how we perceive the sight picture can shift our groups around. Experiment some with where you hold. I found the most variation with a 6:00 hold, either with the post/bull intersecting or with a small space. It is aggravating to have a nice group at 12:00 high at the 8/9 intersection with one 10 shot string, and in the low 9 ring in next. It is us, not the gun.

Larry