Morini CM102

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
william

Morini CM102

Post by william »

Would somebody like to give a brief history of this pistol - who designed it, when (was Cesare still at the firm that bears his name), how long were they in production, what users said about it, etc? No, I'm not looking to buy or sell one, just curious.
David M

CM 102

Post by David M »

The CM102 was one of the best standard pistols I have ever owned. It also still holds my top score (581). It had the same electronic trigger as the early Air pistol with heavier springs for 1000g, so the trigger was great.
The handling was what made it a great standard gun in the 10 sec run, but what gave it this good handling also caused all the malfunctions.
The very small slide block with internal firing pin, fired from underneath by a soleniod (no Hammer) ment very little movement on firing and fast realignment for the next shot.
But the balance of forces was too critical and you had feed malfunctions.
As the firing pin flew forward, the reaction tended to open the slide (no hammer to stop it or no external strike), this then gave you a light strike on the shell--malfunction.
OK, increase the slide springs and tension. Now the slide travelled too quickly and you got misfeeds because the linear feed could not lift the new rounds up fast enough.
Try increasing the slide mass, replace the plastic slide blocks with steel. The increased mass solved the misfire and feed problem, but also killed the recoil behaviour that made the pistol perform.
Some peolpe improved the slide closing by removing the extractor to help the light strikes, it helped.
But you cannot go to a competition at high level with a pistol that you are not 110% confident with. If they get the bugs out in the future I would consider another one, just to achieve the same handling, but only if it was reliable. You cannot afford to malfunction out of a match.
Reinhamre

Morini CM 102

Post by Reinhamre »

With the right ammo tuned to the return spring and filing down the extractor so that the slide can close every time you can make it work fine. Have shot 1200 rounds with NO malfunctions at all. Eley target Extra Blue label.

The pistol can be bought for a small amount of money but is not a pistol for a beginner, it can give you a great joy when it works well.

One warning though, you can fire next shot after just a tine bit return on the trigger and this is nice but this can also be a habit that causes problem when using another pistol.

Regards
Kent
s

Re: Morini CM102

Post by s »

william wrote:Would somebody like to give a brief history of this pistol - who designed it, when (was Cesare still at the firm that bears his name), how long were they in production, what users said about it, etc? No, I'm not looking to buy or sell one, just curious.
Who designed it? Ever seen that famous Winchester? Anyway the idea was not original. Other known people had exactly that project, in Italy, before Cesare. Yes Cesare developed the project in Bedano (CH), when he was there, chief of the CM firm. The .32 did not work properly, I did not see it, never. The .22 was good, but too complicated. Difficult to clean it. A lot of malfunctions for about 75% of the pistols. But a 25% working perfectly instead. Some pistol is still in action. Very easy to shoot with. Well balanced. Electric trigger!