Dry Firing 1911

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
mikeschroeder

Dry Firing 1911

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

I just purchased a Les Baer 1911. I searched several 1911 sights, but didn't find an answer. Can I dry fire a 1911 without harning the springs? Baer has a regular schedule of when to change the springs, so I would guess that changing out the spring for the firing pin could wear out quicker if I dry fire the gun.

If I CAN dry fire the gun, do I need to be snap caps for it?

Thanks

Mike
Wichita KS
funtoz

Post by funtoz »

This is definitely not a 45 type forum, but many of us American shooters do shoot the things, and even compete with them in NRA events. The brief and simple answer is that you can dry fire without ruining the gun... don't know anyone that uses snap caps but you won't hurt anything using them either. The bullet shaped ones can also be used for ball-n-dummy practice too. If you are serious about well aimed shooting with it, try www.bullseyepistol.com and the bullseye FAQ at http://www.doppke.com/~jls/bullfaq/

For action and defense shooting with the thing... google 'ipsc'

Larry
Lonnie

1911's have olympic records, too!

Post by Lonnie »

Go easy on 1911's. They have Olympic records, too. Remember the feat of T.D. Smith with his .38 cal 1911 in Brasil? That record stands today(new targets retired the old record where it can't be beaten).

Lonnie
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

funtoz wrote:This is definitely not a 45 type forum, but many of us American shooters do shoot the things, and even compete with them in NRA events. The brief and simple answer is that you can dry fire without ruining the gun... don't know anyone that uses snap caps but you won't hurt anything using them either. The bullet shaped ones can also be used for ball-n-dummy practice too. If you are serious about well aimed shooting with it, try www.bullseyepistol.com and the bullseye FAQ at http://www.doppke.com/~jls/bullfaq/

For action and defense shooting with the thing... google 'ipsc'

Larry
Hi

I'm a member of the Bullseye list, but can't list there from work. I knew someone would know the answer here also.

Thanks

Mike
Patrick Haynes

Dryfiring 1911

Post by Patrick Haynes »

Hi.

I dry fire my Gold Cup with a snap cap which cushions the travel and abrupt stop of the firing pin in dead air. I have heard, right or wrong, that a firing pin dropping on an empty chamber will eventually crystalise (metal fatigue??) and break prematurely at the bottom of the pin.

Do I know this for sure? Nope. But, are snap caps cheaper and less of a hassle to use than changing a broken firing pin in the middle of a match? Two "yes"s there.

You can pick up snap caps for a couple of bucks from Pachmyar and a few other manufacturers. Well worth the investment in your trigger control.

Good shooting.
Patrick Haynes
TargetShooting Canada
sparky

Post by sparky »

Dryfiring a 1911 won't cause serious permanent damage. While I have heard that it is possible to break a firing pin as suggested above, I've never seen it, nor talked to anyone who has had it happen to them personally. I wouldn't worry about increased wear of the firing pin spring at all.

Regardless, worst case scenario, you're talking about $5 in parts and under 20 seconds to swap in a new firing pin and firing pin spring.
mitty

Sear Protection

Post by mitty »

To continue OT, hold the triggner back when cocking the weapon so the sear doesn't drag and wear from sliding and clicking on the hammer half-cock and full-cock hooks. This is the bullseye-l consensus IIRC. Pull trigger, cock & hold hammer, release trigger, release hammer. Takes twenty times as long to say as to do.