Need advise on the purchase of a new air pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
mjfa

Need advise on the purchase of a new air pistol

Post by mjfa »

I'm on the process of buying a new air pistol. Having read the manufacturer's brochures and many posts on this forum I have limited my choices to the Steyr LP10, the Morini CM162 EI and the Feinwerkbau P40. Although not a competitive shooter I've just started to participate on the High Noon postal (shooting an IZH-46M which is ok but a little muzzle heavy for my taste) and plan to shoot local matches on the near future, but for now I don't have access to try any of those guns and my final decision will be based on what I read. For now I have infer the following:

Steyr LP10 is almost perfect but some individuals seem to have problems with the trigger.

Morini CM162EI has the best trigger and best plane of sight, but lacks the absorber and the adjustability of the grips. Also I'm wandering if in 10 years there will be electronics replacement in the event it breaks.

FWB P40 dealers said it has it all, but I'm not sure if pellet loading is as convenient as in the Steyr (I found it a little disturbant on the IZH-46M) and if it is just a cosmetically revamped P34 which has not count with the favor of many top shooters.

Shooters/owners what are your opinions? I will evaluate them very seriously and will be very grateful for your help.

Sincerely,

Manuel Ferrán
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

I went thru this decision process last year

I chose the CM162EI

the shooters i admire the most use it, one of them is local, so we can share parts, tools, knowledge etc.

Also, it is really nice dryfiring with the electric trigger, you don't need to mess with the loading port, but if you want to, you can half-open to make the dry-firing session more match-like it if that is your training technique.

good shooting

Poole
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/
ddtkid

Post by ddtkid »

I was thinking of the same three air pistols. I hope other shooters can offer some of their insights. I am in the same position, in which I am not able to try them out on a first person basis.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I don't know the fwb but of the ither two there is very little to choose between them, technically. With such small differences you need to hold the guns at the very least. You may find the morini, for example, technically matches your requirements but doesn't feel right in your hand.

The only other comment I would make is that the morini moves marginally on shot release whereas the steyr doesn't. The majority of shooters though are going for the morini (at least amongst those I know) so they are obviously happy.

Rob.
SZK

Post by SZK »

Folks,

I have to agree with Rob Stubbs. Doesnt really matter what someone else shoots, what matters is what feels right in your hands. I recently had the opportunity to visit Don Nygord in Arizona, and I tried out the FWB P40, Match Guns MG-1, and others. I already own a Morini 162EI (beautiful gun).

The FWB P40 is great, and so is the Match Guns MG-1. As Don keeps saying, all these pistols are top notch. It all comes down to personal preference. They're all equally accurate, all well made, etc. etc. I actually prefer the MG-1 to the 162EI, mostly due to the shape of the grip.

If I had the money, I would have purchased the P40 and MG-1 on the spot to complement my 162EI. But, I couldn't afford both (at least not yet!). So I went with the MG-1. I thought it had the best grip and feel. I really liked it. And, at $950, it is a great value.

The problem we all have is that we can't try out all these guns. That's a real challenge. I had a business trip in Arizona, and made a side trip to visit Don. I'm glad I did.
SZK

Post by SZK »

Folks,

I have to agree with Rob Stubbs. Doesnt really matter what someone else shoots, what matters is what feels right in your hands. I recently had the opportunity to visit Don Nygord in Arizona, and I tried out the FWB P40, Match Guns MG-1, and others. I already own a Morini 162EI (beautiful gun).

The FWB P40 is great, and so is the Match Guns MG-1. As Don keeps saying, all these pistols are top notch. It all comes down to personal preference. They're all equally accurate, all well made, etc. etc. I actually prefer the MG-1 to the 162EI, mostly due to the shape of the grip.

If I had the money, I would have purchased the P40 and MG-1 on the spot to complement my 162EI. But, I couldn't afford both (at least not yet!). So I went with the MG-1. I thought it had the best grip and feel. I really liked it. And, at $950, it is a great value.

The problem we all have is that we can't try out all these guns. That's a real challenge. I had a business trip in Arizona, and made a side trip to visit Don. I'm glad I did.
akihmsa

Post by akihmsa »

That is one of the hurdles of being in a sport that is quite small, not a lot of opertunity to give things a try. I am in Alaska so consider yourself fortunate that you can try one at all before buying !!
SZK wrote:Folks,