six, sub-six or center hold for int'l events... including RF

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Lance

six, sub-six or center hold for int'l events... including RF

Post by Lance »

Question:

What seems to be the concensus regarding six, sub-six or center hold for int'l events. While I can see six or sub-six for air, standard, sport & CF precision - how about CF duel or Rapid?

Do shooters in CF change sights (# of clicks) between precision and duel?
Is it hard shooting a six or sub-six then going to a center-hold for RF?
What about using center-hold for all events... there seems to be an advantage to this (learning only one hold point) - yes/no?

... Lance
thenikjones

Post by thenikjones »

Everyone I know shoots duel / rapid fire with point of aim, taking between 18-25 clicks to move from their sub-six hold when shooting the Sport Pistol / Centrefire / Standard Handgun events.

The exception to this is the 10 yard rapid fire air pistol event, the new one with black targets the size of a 10m air pistol "7" ring, but needing a hit equivalent to a "9" ring to score a point. Here, most people seem to use their standard precision sub-six aimpoint.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

thenikjones wrote:Everyone I know shoots duel / rapid fire with point of aim, taking between 18-25 clicks to move from their sub-six hold when shooting the Sport Pistol / Centrefire / Standard Handgun events.

The exception to this is the 10 yard rapid fire air pistol event, the new one with black targets the size of a 10m air pistol "7" ring, but needing a hit equivalent to a "9" ring to score a point. Here, most people seem to use their standard precision sub-six aimpoint.
Remember that as from Jan 1 2005 the Rapid Fire match, and probably the rapid stages of the 25m and CF matches, will be changing to the same size aiming mark as for the precision stage. It'll be a whole new ball game.
LesJ

Post by LesJ »

I was sold on sub six o'clock hold, but after reading below massage posted some time ago I switched to center hold for all the pistols. My problem with sub six o'clock was that my group was oval up and down so I would slowly start to pay attention to the space between the front sight and the bottom of the bull's eye ( same problem that six o'clock has). Center hold eliminated that problem, plus it keeps thing simple by not have to switch your aiming point between different pistols. Try it and see if it works for you.

Michael Douglass

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:29 am Post subject: Re: Center hold vs 6 o'clock hold

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I swear by the center hold, but many people may disagree.
I have posted a couple times my preference of the center hold.
I believe the center hold forces you to concentrate harder on the front sight because it is harder to see the black sight with the black of the bull behind it. Anything that makes you concentrate on the front sight harder, I believe will make your technique better.
People make the argument that it may be easier to "see" the front sight if you use a 6 or sub-6 hold. "Seeing" and "focusing" are two different things : )
On the other hand, it is easy to get lazy with the center hold and then your performance will suffer greatly.
Personally I was never comforatable with the 6 hold because I felt I was too concernred with puting that front sight "exactly" under the bull. With the center hold, if there was blackk behind my front sight I was comfortable squeezing the trigger.
Anyway, you will get all sorts of opinions and the only thing that matters is what you are comfortable with.
Mike Douglass